Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 03:09 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

Circuit City & Linnen and Things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 03:31 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Linen's n Things filed bankruptcy back in May and did say this week they are closing and everything is being liquidated.

Pier 1 was in trouble a few years ago.

Mervyn's - they closed up ALL of their stores in the Dallas area (and I think all of Texas) a few years ago. They were hurting WAY BEFORE any of the current sh*! hit the fan.

Dillards here in the Dallas area does very well. I don't see them going away. They survived the 80's fine.

One of the dollar stores recently announced they were closing most of their stores in Texas. They are not doing as good as they thought they would. I do NOT see more dollar stores on the horizon.

Sears won't go away due to their appliance and tool side being dependable. They may shrink to just those areas of expertise and drop clothes and home furnishings.

Home Depot, Lowes and the like usually do good in down times as long as they have not over saturated the market. Instead of moving more people stay put and they need these places to keep their homes fixed up and to do projects, yard work, upkeep, etc themselves instead of hiring it out.

ANY business that has been using their capital wisely during the good times should be fine.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:02 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Dillards here in the Dallas area does very well. I don't see them going away. They survived the 80's fine.

Home Depot, Lowes and the like usually do good in down times as long as they have not over saturated the market. Instead of moving more people stay put and they need these places to keep their homes fixed up and to do projects, yard work, upkeep, etc themselves instead of hiring it out.
I hope you are right about Dillard's; our family's survival depends on it.

I have seen home improvement stores go bankrupt; remember Handy Andy?

Old 10-16-2008, 05:12 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I guess the real interesting question is what we do with all of this retail space once the retailers go bankrupt and close. There is going to be A LOT of huge, empty buildings that will be available for rent or purchase at pennies on the dollar when all is said and done.

deadmalls DOT com
See if there is one in your state.....

Dead mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-16-2008, 05:47 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Sears won't go away due to their appliance and tool side being dependable. They may shrink to just those areas of expertise and drop clothes and home furnishings.
I went to Sears for a new stove the other day and there weren't any salespeople in the appliance section. I finally got some help from the TV section, and when I told him what I wanted he showed me absolutely everything 'except' what I asked for. Just a low end convection oven.

While he was looking on the computer telling me there wasn't anything under $1K, I found a discontinued floor model sitting in the isle for $600 and a sign saying 15% off.

He argued that an oven isn't 'true' convection unless it has a heater in the fan, wouldn't stop his sales pitch when I said I didn't want to buy an extra warranty, he asked about delivery and then told me it was free, so I said to have it brought over. Then he told me that it was something like $50 and I'd have to send off for a rebate. After I told him to take that off because I hate dealing with rebates, he added it up and then he told me that I'd have to pay full price today, but that I could get the extra 15% off by sending in for a rebate.

He seemed shocked when I turned around and walked out the door.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I hope you are right about Dillard's; our family's survival depends on it.

I have seen home improvement stores go bankrupt; remember Handy Andy?
Nope. Guess we did not have those here.

As long as the retailer is not expanding so that they are on EVERY CORNER, keeps a good stock across the board on the shelves, has good prices (I'll pay more for better quality that won't wear out sooner ) and good customer service they should be fine. Well, as long as the CEO, CFO and the rest of the board don't take any fancy trips and huge bonuses

Home Depot and Lowe's pretty much have the market nowadays across the nation. There are some smaller independents in some cities that will be around forever (gosh, I HOPE Elliott's in Dallas never closes ) and then the smaller chains like the "Handy Andy" or such and a few Ace Hardwares still around. But they don't offer the VAST selection of merchandise that the big box stores do. One stop shop seems to be our motto nowadays in this country. Wife can pick out a new washer and dryer while hubby gets a new lawnmower/power tool and they can grab a few flowers to plant on the way out and a bag of fertilizer.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I went to Sears for a new stove the other day and there weren't any salespeople in the appliance section. I finally got some help from the TV section, and when I told him what I wanted he showed me absolutely everything 'except' what I asked for. Just a low end convection oven.

While he was looking on the computer telling me there wasn't anything under $1K, I found a discontinued floor model sitting in the isle for $600 and a sign saying 15% off.

He argued that an oven isn't 'true' convection unless it has a heater in the fan, wouldn't stop his sales pitch when I said I didn't want to buy an extra warranty, he asked about delivery and then told me it was free, so I said to have it brought over. Then he told me that it was something like $50 and I'd have to send off for a rebate. After I told him to take that off because I hate dealing with rebates, he added it up and then he told me that I'd have to pay full price today, but that I could get the extra 15% off by sending in for a rebate.

He seemed shocked when I turned around and walked out the door.
Don't you love sales help. Customer service has become atrocious. Most the time sales people don't even care unless they make a commission. Even that is iffy. I am actually more amzed nowadays when I "get help". That's sad.

Lisa

Old 10-16-2008, 06:22 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
K-mart.

And.

Based on the stores I've seen in NC and FL, I would also say Target. Everytime I've been to one they are mostly empty yet I always "hear" how great they are. I think they are overpriced for average type products.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Don't you love sales help. Customer service has become atrocious. Most the time sales people don't even care unless they make a commission. Even that is iffy. I am actually more amzed nowadays when I "get help". That's sad.

Lisa
That is one reason I won't shop at the Macy's right by me. It was a Foley's when it opened 3 years ago. Sparse then and even more so now. It is a STERILE store w/ hardly any inventory and even fewer sales people. HOWEVER, at the Macy's in the Galleria and NorthPark Mall here in Dallas that are only 30 minutes away from my house - they are WONDERFUL!!!! Sad cause I'd much rather spend my money in MY CITY where the sales tax can go into my area city and school district. But these businesses don't get that. They will just close this store up and say it was not profitable. Makes you want to slap them up side the head and scream, "IF YOU WOULD HAVE PUT MORE INTO IT THEN WE WOULD HAVE SHOPPED THERE AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN PROFITABLE!!!!

Customer service is a dying breed. However it is the one HUGE reason why our business has been successful. We have customers leave for lower prices only to call in dire emergencies that they NEED US! After that they are willing to pay as they know they won't be dropped.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
K-mart.

And.

Based on the stores I've seen in NC and FL, I would also say Target. Everytime I've been to one they are mostly empty yet I always "hear" how great they are. I think they are overpriced for average type products.
K-Mart closed up all of their Dallas stores about 10 years ago. They have been hurting for decades.

Target on the other hand - nope they will be around. I shop at SuperTarget weekly (okay, so it is more like 3x a week ) and it is ALWAYS BUSY! Even when we have been to ones out of town they all were busy. Target actually has great customer service, a clean environment, good prices and GREAT sale prices as well as good quality. I LOVE SuperTarget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics