Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:23 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
But the good news is ... we have a Nordstrom coming to our mall in 2009!!!
Just curious, what other 'anchor stores' are in that mall? We have one Nordstrom's here on LI and it's in the largest of the six (yes, six) enclosed malls that we have in our 1400 square mile area. That doesn't include the two big outlet malls, btw... just the enclosed retail ones. The mall with Nordstroms also includes Bloomingdales, Macys, and Penneys as the other 3 anchor stores. I think I read somewhere that there are 270 stores there in all.

A British friend of mine lives in Palm Desert; she's an ex-pat from NYC/LI and I wonder if she knows that there's a Nordstrom opening soon. She doesn't drive much anymore though, because she is getting on in years and her husband, who used to do all the driving, passed away last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:20 PM

475 posts, read 1,305,020 times
The Linen Things here in North Carolina just put up their "everything must go signs" today.

I sure hope Kmart hangs on because thats where I get all my toothpaste, shampoo, etc...
It's close so my DH and I can walk there on a nice day too.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
that is because walmart is the anti-christ.

sorry, couldn't resist that one
lmao...."we need an associate at the gates of hell for a clean up please" and thank you for shopping wal-mart!!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 09:49 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times

Old 10-17-2008, 09:58 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Did anyone list Mervyns?

It's going out of business.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:22 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Macy's did take over many other stores (Hecht's, etc.), the problem is: they took over stores where there was already a Macy's - there are actually TWO Macy's in one mall here! Some are only a block or so apart, I think they need to consolidate some. As for Lord & Taylor, an old mall near me has been rumored to be closing since...forever. the L&T there and at two other locations is having a merchandise clearance/liquidation (not sure what the terminology was in the ad). I rarely saw anybody in the nearby one - then again, I rarely saw any employees either and that was frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
But didn't Macy's just go nationwide earlier this year? They used to be a primarily East Coast chain but I do recall reading about their expansion to the West Coast. I have a relative in California who emailed me about Macy's taking over one of their previously-West Coast department store chains. I'd think under those circumstances Macy's has already weeded out and closed all the locations that they thought likely to be less- or non-productive after the expansion.

I'm kind of surprised that Lord & Taylor is still around. About a year ago there were announcements that they would be closing either most or all of their 3 or 4 stores here on Long Island. But AFAIK none of them closed. Perhaps they got a cash infusion. However I'm not sure if Lord & Taylor has a retail presence outside the Northeast. They are now owned by the same company who also owns Hudson's Bay Company (a Canadian chain) and Fortunoff's (which is strictly NYC/metro). IMO Lord & Taylor is still a cut above Macy's. During the 1960s-1980s, they were definitely a couple of steps above Macy's for sure. Now they're pretty much the same although IMO the L&T stores themselves are still noticeably nicer even though they have almost exactly the same brands and prices as Macy's. Not sure whether that means Macy's has "come up" or that L&T has "slipped", LOL!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:29 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
I don't know how Bath and Body Works can support all the stores it has. Some are even across the street from each other.

Krispy Kreme has been having trouble. I wonder if they will make it.

The Conn's near us never has very many cars in front of it. Even on a Saturday. Our Circuit City is usually quite busy though.

I don't know if we can tell by looking which ones will make it and which ones won't. How much they depend on credit and how much cash they have probably mean more.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I don't know how Bath and Body Works can support all the stores it has. Some are even across the street from each other.

Krispy Kreme has been having trouble. I wonder if they will make it.

The Conn's near us never has very many cars in front of it. Even on a Saturday. Our Circuit City is usually quite busy though.

I don't know if we can tell by looking which ones will make it and which ones won't. How much they depend on credit and how much cash they have probably mean more.
Krispy has been having problems and I'm guessing they'll end up shrinking back to being just a southern thing. They became a fad and expanded way too quick to markets where every grocery has donuts and people were unwilling to pay a premium once the novelty wore off.
I think you'll start seeing comfort stores getting busy, home improvement, cooking stores,outlet stores and basic fast food will be ok. I'm almost willing to bet places like Cracker Barrel will do great since it reminds people of an easier time and has decent prices.
Gone will be the coldstones,high end "foo foo" fast food and I think high end grocery will have a tough time. If the last downturn was any indicator people tend to pull back to what they can do at home, if they eat out it's BK or McD's and such and repair/remodel their house instead of selling. I also think the movies will become quite packed and used as an escape from reality for a couple of hours...

Old 10-19-2008, 06:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I predict hardly any of these places will disappear.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:36 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
There are too many clothing retailers in the malls. Whenever you we go shopping you can always see that nobody are at these stores. I have wondered for a long time how thay are able to stay open when they have very little business. Mall OF America is full of speciality clothing stores and you hardly see more than one person at a time in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics