Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:15 AM

56 posts, read 111,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I predict hardly any of these places will disappear.
You can't be serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 11:05 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Did anyone list Mervyns?

It's going out of business.

Beat ya to it a few entries back............

Old 10-19-2008, 12:17 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Don't you love sales help. Customer service has become atrocious. Most the time sales people don't even care unless they make a commission. Even that is iffy. I am actually more amzed nowadays when I "get help". That's sad.

Lisa

Barbecues Galore filed chap 11 about 2 months ago. They cant pay all there bills. My small business use to cater to this company so I saw this coming months before it happened.

It's funny tho, Barbecue galore kept building new stores and hiring new people but yet there old stores were not making much money. A real
business man who is would not do this!

Personally, I do care about the people that worked there, ( some of them put in 15 hard years only to be fired for a new young stud) but I don't care about the corporation. By the way all the grills are made in china and
shipped over here.

Lastly, back in the 90's the sales people USE to get commission but around
2000 or so I believe the corporation decided to TAKE away the commission but yet the sales people were still required to sell just as many grills or more. I would have quit right then and there!!! All sales people are suppose to get some sort of commission!!

The company got greedy, plain and simple, think of how much money all the commissions around the states would have added up to at the end of the year??

Old 10-19-2008, 03:17 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekRockStar View Post
You can't be serious.
I am serious. In the face of looming disaster, I always have faith in the average American consumer's ability to continue spending money he doesn't have.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:32 PM

56 posts, read 111,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am serious. In the face of looming disaster, I always have faith in the average American consumer's ability to continue spending money he doesn't have.
That will destroy the American economy then. If people don't save their money then they are between a rock and hard place, especially since there is alot more going on than just job losses.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:14 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
I was in Best Buy today, Saturday afternoon. Few people were there, and fewer bought anything. The employees there wore pink shirts. What's up with that? Is this a new thing for Best Buy?

Old 10-19-2008, 05:38 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, maybe that's what the pink shirts were all about?

Old 10-19-2008, 06:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, maybe that's what the pink shirts were all about?
That or it was in SF...

Old 10-19-2008, 06:23 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times
There is a linen n things by me going out of business.

I wish the Gap, abercrombie, and american eagle would go out of business

Old 10-19-2008, 06:31 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,023,709 times
In my area, we've had a quick build up of chain stores in strip malls the past few years. Starbucks was only here about 8 months and now linens n things closing after a year, maybe less. But still more are going up, especially chain restaurants.
I worked retail full and part time for several years in only one store. i knew early on that customer service was never enforced, not just our store but company wide. Customers were ignored, given short answers, and even argued with. I knew the company wouldnt last. I was right. No matter what the company tried- changing store appearance, marketing younger shoppers, new items, nothing helped. I think customer service makes a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics