Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:15 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
They did already. It's called the Volt.

Everything that was EV-1 is dead. There's probably no more tooling. And all the engineers that designed it have probably moved on to something else. And besides...that was what? 1999? Everything about it is obsolete by now.

My university ended up with one of the EV-1's. GM disabled it at some point before they handed it off to us. There was some talk about doing hydrogen fuel cell research with it. I don't know if it got off the ground or not. It was cool to see one first hand though. Where it failed was that it was a two-seater that didn't offer much cargo space. It was as valueable as a Mazda Miata for hauling groceries and passengers.

At least the Volt offers some more passenger and cargo space....it's just going to be very expensive.
Marty Padgett's blog: 2009 Toyota FT-EV Concept Plugs Into Detroit Show - The Car Connection

Toyota does it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 03:37 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,303,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Toyota does it again.
Ya... but behind Ford ! Ford will have an all electric van for fleet use next year and an all electric sedan in 2011. Looks like Toyota is behind the curve believe it or not...

Old 01-10-2009, 03:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I tyhnik GM is doing a fine job of dying on its own as the other two are.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:49 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Ya... but behind Ford ! Ford will have an all electric van for fleet use next year and an all electric sedan in 2011. Looks like Toyota is behind the curve believe it or not...
Excellent! You would happen to have an article on about this? Love to read it.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Excellent! You would happen to have an article on about this? Love to read it.
Here's one. Ford accelerates electric-vehicle plans | Green Tech - CNET News

There are probably all kinds if you do a search. The business plans of all 3 US auto makers has details which all the articles are pretty much based on. Here is a link to what they submitted to Congress U.S. Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs (http://banking.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?Fuseaction=Articles.Detail&Article_id=57 3a46c4-822c-435c-8405-8b4c93516b52&Month=12&Year=2008 - broken link)

Also forgot to mention the GM will have their all electric vehicle available next year too. Chevy Volt, inside and out - Sep. 16, 2008

Old 01-10-2009, 04:21 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
If a company is failing, it should fail.

We can use the "bailout money" that they're proposing, to help the employees find other jobs, or at worst, for unemployment benefits.

Wait. Don't union members get supplemental unemployment pay too? If that's the case, I imagine even the employees would be okay.

It's a losing proposition for govt to prop up failing companies.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
If a company is failing, it should fail.

We can use the "bailout money" that they're proposing, to help the employees find other jobs, or at worst, for unemployment benefits.

Wait. Don't union members get supplemental unemployment pay too? If that's the case, I imagine even the employees would be okay.

It's a losing proposition for govt to prop up failing companies.
Yep... I agree the US Gov should not have bailed out anything. They should have just let the entire US monetary system collapse, let everyones asset value plummet to near if not zero in value, let all small business go bankrupt from the fallout and pay everyone unemployment with corn, cheese and bread... the only thing left that would carry any value. And we can use all the existing US currency in circulation as fuel for fires to heat homes too.

I wonder if the rest of the world would accept corn, cheese and bread for payment on everything ?! And the existing US currency to burn as the worlds new alternative energy source .

In all seriousness, IMO when it comes to bailouts and the monetary system which is exactly what this is all about, bail EVERYTHING out or bail NOTHING out ! There should be no middle ground...

Everyone can scream and cry all they want about all the gov bail outs going on but the simple fact of the matter is that 99% of the people in this country couldn't handle the outcome if these bailouts weren't taking place !

Old 01-10-2009, 06:31 PM

My problem with the bailouts is that our grandchildren will be paying for our mistakes; at least we were able to benefit from the good times. We have to bite the bullet and get it over with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Yep... I agree the US Gov should not have bailed out anything. They should have just let the entire US monetary system collapse, let everyones asset value plummet to near if not zero in value, let all small business go bankrupt from the fallout and pay everyone unemployment with corn, cheese and bread... the only thing left that would carry any value. And we can use all the existing US currency in circulation as fuel for fires to heat homes too...the simple fact of the matter is that 99% of the people in this country couldn't handle the outcome if these bailouts weren't taking place !
I have to ask you, do you really feel the bailouts will prevent this from happening in the future?

Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
My problem with the bailouts is that our grandchildren will be paying for our mistakes; at least we were able to benefit from the good times. We have to bite the bullet and get it over with.
We'll be lucky if it stops at our grand kids ! We have another wave of resetting mortgages and crap coming over the next few years. A hair bigger than the wave we are in the middle of now. The next one will cause more stress to an already whacked financial system and cast even more doubt on a monetary system that the jury is raising eye brows over now.

I really wish we would let everything collapse and everyone start over now rather than later. IMO if we would let the system crash, there would be world wide panic and the World would be the Wild Wild West on a super grand scale. I guess there is no sense in letting that happen and re-inventing the wheel when it comes to our monetary system, we don't have a better one to move to with minimal recourse so why resort to "The Wild Wild West World" movie ? China for instance, what do you think they would do if we said we were going to default on all the notes they are holding ???

Quote:
I have to ask you, do you really feel the bailouts will prevent this from happening in the future?
Hell NO. I think there will be many many more followed up by the human race trying to sterilize the planet of all living things over the loss of value placed on pieces of paper printed by gov's... That is our monetary system though !

Old 01-10-2009, 10:51 PM

I agree; we're postponing the inevitable. And to be honest, how can we live with ourselves for doing this to future generations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics