Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:44 AM

33 posts, read 126,158 times

Advertisements

Not a day goes by when there are not reports of huge layoffs and companies eliminating all hiring. Unemployment is going up fast and most people believe the offical rate may go up to 15% within a year.

If unemployment does go that high, the economy will get to the crisis stage because only 35% are eligible for unemployment and almost half of our population lives paycheck to paycheck. If local and state governments continue to cut social services and credit card limits are cut, many Americans are going to become homeless and desparate.

How will the rapidly falling economy and huge unemployment effect our social structure and do you expect massive social unrest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 07:08 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Didn't crack distribution become widespread during or shortly after the late 1970s/early 1980s recession?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:19 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,217 times
Hey in this MI city we're already nearing 15% unemployment and nothing crazy here. People don't do anything here anymore, that costs money. People are going bankrupt, not going out to eat, not getting their cars fixed, not giving to charitable causes, dropping health insurance, abondoning their pets, lowering their thermostat in their houses, losing their houses, hunting for food, stealing from charity drop off sites, car pooling to the point where kids are double-buckled and lining up for hand outs wherever they're givin' em. Oh, I guess things are getting crazy after all.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,683 times
Crowds get very ugly when they begin to commiserate. Yes I see civil unrest.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,124 times
Budget cuts=less cops
Unemployed=more crime
more crime + less cop = martial law?
In 8 yrs on my street there has been -0- crimes, in the pass 3 weeks there has been 3 incidents. Has it already started?

Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
No, I don't think so.

Unemployment is already "really" closer to 15%, it's just that the gov't is not counting anyone who isn't collecting unemployment compensation. Add up everybody who really isn't working, and BINGO! we are at or near 15% already.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:25 AM

146 posts, read 566,385 times
I doubt that. Since the 60's Americans haven't really come together and challenged authority (and even in the 60's it was pretty isolated and was limited to young idealists). I think the mindset just isn't there-- we are not a nation of fighters. My expectation is that people will complain a lot but adjust to the new situations they find themselves in. That's how I see the state of modern American culture-- the days of mass standing-up-to-whoever are gone.

I do think that some violent discontent may occur in the bad parts of the cities but I doubt it'll stick around. Back a few decades ago there was the sense of racial injustice that fueled riots but I doubt that's relevant today. The very poor will either suffer quitely or turn to crime in greater numbers.

Yes, I think crime (including violent crime) will grow quite a bit...sure glad we live in an upper middle class suburb 15 miles away from the closest trouble area.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:05 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyn View Post
Yes, I think crime (including violent crime) will grow quite a bit...sure glad we live in an upper middle class suburb 15 miles away from the closest trouble area.
What, the thugs don't have cars ?

They don't acquire all those hi tech electronic toys form the people that don't own them in the hood !

Old 11-12-2008, 12:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
no but i expect gap between crime and punishment to tighten up.
we dont do punishment we do confinement. timeout is not working.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:57 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Personally I would only allow credit for buying homes, buying a car, or for grad and postgrad education. I will not allow people to "live" on credit... that will in itself change their behavior and also cause a major economic shift.. one from a debt economy to a spend economy... an economy that relies on people living within their means... of course the wealthy won't get super-wealthy, progress will be slower, federal government gets weaker, and regular people will have to settle with not buying 3-4 cars, 5 TV sets, or dining out every night... They will have to live with less and know that that is the REAL standard of living... people don't want the REAL standard of living, they want the PERCEIVED standard of living... that is, whatever they think it is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics