Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:47 PM

213 posts, read 520,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
"...the only safe country is one that has protected itself from globalization and maintained a more free market society..."

Sorry, but free market means companies and people are free to do what they want, free to join globalization, free to outsource, etc.

I think protectionism is the word you are looking for.
Thank goodness somebody said what I was thinking. Sorry I can't give you any more rep points.

The countries which have "protected themselves from globalization" would be Burma, Cuba, North Korea and other nations which have essentially cut themselves off. Hardly free markets at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 10:11 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Hey Sandy -- thanks for quoting this part of the article -- actually got me to read it.

H O W E V E R -- it is clearly a clueless rant by a total BSer. The G is already highly involved in pre-selecting the current "winners" e.g. Coal, and even New Nukes being considered for build are to be 80% Government Welfare Construction supported -- the only reason the Engineering/Contracting Companies want to build them -- for the Welfare $.

The part about TRIPLE looks like total BS, as well. Electricity is currently at surplus, and I am amazed it can even hold its price -- and I am in the industry.

There is serious deflation going down on every front. Like I say, I do not see how electricity is holding its price, as is.

My current safety factors on new designs are using a FALL by 1/2 in the end price. Real deal is Bush was a total dumbass, and hopefully Obama is only half a dumbass.
why wouldn't there be a substantial rise in the price of electricity if 50% of our electricity is generated from coal? barack is promising to shut down the coal industry in favor of "green" energy, so there would be a high cost for that transition period to the electricity consumers.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan

Old 11-15-2008, 10:22 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinshow View Post
Thank goodness somebody said what I was thinking. Sorry I can't give you any more rep points.

The countries which have "protected themselves from globalization" would be Burma, Cuba, North Korea and other nations which have essentially cut themselves off. Hardly free markets at all.
Doesn't need to be Cuba, Burma(Myanmar), N.Korea style. It can be like Japan, China, India,Singapore etc. When you give everything away, you have nothing left. The idea that a "consumer" society can survive is nonsense. No nation has ever thrived consuming without producing. We now have an economy based on 70% consumption. Bound to, and is, failing. Cuba,Burma, etc never created anything and gave it away. We have.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:24 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,444 times
Just want to point out, the premise of this thread is WRONG. Brown did NOT say the sterling was in danger of collapse:

"Conservative lawmaker George Osborne told a British newspaper there could be a run on the pound sterling if the country's debt keeps growing."

"We are in danger, if the government is not careful, of having a proper sterling collapse, a run on the pound," he was quoted as saying in the Times of London newspaper Saturday. "The more you borrow as a government the more you have to sell that debt and the less attractive your currency seems."

"British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, in Washington for an economic summit intended to relaunch the crippled global financial system, said he regretted what he called "partisan talk."

The Associated Press: Senior UK politician warns of run on the pound

Old 11-16-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
Doesn't need to be Cuba, Burma(Myanmar), N.Korea style. It can be like Japan, China, India,Singapore etc. When you give everything away, you have nothing left. The idea that a "consumer" society can survive is nonsense. No nation has ever thrived consuming without producing. We now have an economy based on 70% consumption. Bound to, and is, failing. Cuba,Burma, etc never created anything and gave it away. We have.
Japan, China, India and Singapore have all succeeded BECAUSE of globalization. They produce stuff and sell it to other nations. THAT is part of global commerce. China is currently freaking out because so much of their economy relies on exports.

On the other hand, I agree that a consumer society sucks.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:43 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,169 times
It only sucks if you make **** from it.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:40 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
The only free trade is trade between countries at equal stage of development. Free trade as we know it today is merely a redistribution of wealth from developed world to developing world. It serves to lower the standard of living in the developed country. We have ample evidence of this yet still we listen to these globalization experts. It's utter nonsense. The standard of living of the middle class in America and England has been declining for 30 years. Real wages have stagnated. Moving a $30 dollar an hour job to China or India for $2 dollars per hour doesn't create wealth, it destroys wealth for all but the chosen few at the top.

Precisely. Our entire financial structure is designed to chip away at each other. Or, in other words, to excel at the expense of others.

As far as I can see, there are two ways to get out of this mess:

Option 1. Step out the system.

Option 2. Create a new system.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:01 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,525 times
Quote:
Japan, China, India and Singapore have all succeeded BECAUSE of globalization. They produce stuff and sell it to other nations. THAT is part of global commerce. China is currently freaking out because so much of their economy relies on exports.

On the other hand, I agree that a consumer society sucks.
Utter and complete nonsense. They have succeeded at the expense of the others countries decline. Globalization is a sham. It is impossible to produce everything in one part of the world. You need people with jobs to buy the stuff in other parts of the world. The crisis today is being brought to you courtesy of globalization. As we sucked good paying jobs out of america over the past 30 years, we replaced those incomes with ever increasing credit. It's simple to see. Just look at the data available. The time we started exporting jobs, we started expanding credit. Consumer/service industry will never replace industrial economy in terms of jobs or wealth generation. The idea that low cost producers in Asia are somehow helping keeping our inflation low is flawed. This assumes that there are people with income to actually purchase the goods. That number of people has only continued because of credit expansion. Now, that's over.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Utter and complete nonsense. They have succeeded at the expense of the others countries decline. Globalization is a sham. It is impossible to produce everything in one part of the world. You need people with jobs to buy the stuff in other parts of the world. The crisis today is being brought to you courtesy of globalization. As we sucked good paying jobs out of america over the past 30 years, we replaced those incomes with ever increasing credit. It's simple to see. Just look at the data available. The time we started exporting jobs, we started expanding credit. Consumer/service industry will never replace industrial economy in terms of jobs or wealth generation. The idea that low cost producers in Asia are somehow helping keeping our inflation low is flawed. This assumes that there are people with income to actually purchase the goods. That number of people has only continued because of credit expansion. Now, that's over.
If you are going to insult my comment, at least respond to it, not to a straw man. I didn't comment on credit expansion or the right or wrong of production shifts, or whether a consumer industry will replace a production industry (and in fact I agree with you on that).

I pointed out one salient fact - globalization is a result of a free market economy. A protectionist free market economy is an oxymoron.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:22 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Quote:
China is getting what they deserve. Their unfair trade policies helped to create the imbalance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics