Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:49 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times

Advertisements

I love snappy ALL CAPS headlines.
We'll be in Great Depression 2 by 2011 -- here are 30 reasons why - MarketWatch

Word of the day? Mega bubbles.

I don't buy it. Recession, yeah. Depression? Personally, I don't think people will be boiling shoe leather for soup. I've been wrong before. I hope I'm not wrong now. Because those shoes most likely came from China... and are probably full of melamine and lead.

Last edited by 70Ford; 11-20-2008 at 12:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 11:53 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,477,696 times
2011?...I say if things don't pick up by 2009 we'll be in a full depression!
I think people are already starting to boil shoe leather...myself for one

Old 11-20-2008, 01:25 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,594 times
I think it will be more likely in 2012 when the end of the world is predicted to happen according to ancient Mayan scripts.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:40 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I think it will be more likely in 2012 when the end of the world is predicted to happen according to ancient Mayan scripts.
Yeah, of course because the Mayans magically knew when the world would end. All that primitive knowledge and all....didn't their civilization die?

The 30 reasons aren't very interesting, nor is it obviously how they will cause a depression.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:55 AM

240 posts, read 475,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Yeah, of course because the Mayans magically knew when the world would end. All that primitive knowledge and all....didn't their civilization die?

The 30 reasons aren't very interesting, nor is it obviously how they will cause a depression.
Actually their knowledge wasn't primitive at all and their civilization did not die out and are still living today in parts of Central America. The ancient Mayans were highly intelligent, they produced extremely accurate astronomical observations; their charts of the movements of the moon and planets are equal or superior to those of any other civilization working from naked eye observation. And about them predicting the world's end in 2012, I doubt it's going to be the end, but something in the solar system IS going to happen on the date they predicted. Read up on it before making ignorant posts.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:39 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliptik View Post
Actually their knowledge wasn't primitive at all and their civilization did not die out and are still living today in parts of Central America. The ancient Mayans were highly intelligent, they produced extremely accurate astronomical observations; their charts of the movements of the moon and planets are equal or superior to those of any other civilization working from naked eye observation. And about them predicting the world's end in 2012, I doubt it's going to be the end, but something in the solar system IS going to happen on the date they predicted. Read up on it before making ignorant posts.
Note, I said "Mayan Civilization" which no longer exists. The Spanish put the nail in the coffin. There are people that exist today that are descendants of these people, but they aren't part of Mayan Civilization which pretty much ended in 900 AD. Claiming the descendants of these people represent in some sense Mayan Civilization is like claiming modern Europeans are Roman and Roman empire still exists. It doesn't, just as Mayan Civilization doesn't exist anymore. How the Mayan civilization collapsed is a hotly debated topic, sorta odd to debate something that didn't happen huh?

In comparison to modern civilization they were primitive and understood little about the world. Nothing important astronomically is happening in 12/2012.

This idea is just crazy.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Be aware the roman empire still exists but has several capitals like New York, London. Singapore and Shanghai. Same class with the same attitude.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I hope not. That means you'll be boiling grass in 2011.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:58 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
70Ford wrote:
TIME TO PANIC!!! - Great Depression 2 by 2011.
IMO, PANIC is a complete waste of energy. It makes people do stupid things they'd never do if they stayed calm. So I'll say, NO it is not time to PANIC. Rather, stay calm and keep your wits about you....no matter what. Take it one day at a time, one step at a time.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:11 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
2011?...I say if things don't pick up by 2009 we'll be in a full depression!
You still have shoe leather? You are lucky. I have a pot of vinyl on the stove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics