Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,476,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post
My co-worker and her husband are talking about just packing up and going to Alaska. they are REALLY concerned now that they are going to lose their house. She doesn't make enough money for the house payment and not counting all their other bills, plus CC bills etc.
Why Alaska? Do they think Sarah Palin will help them keep a house?

If they're broke I wouldn't recommend Alaska...aren't things more expensive there? If I was afraid of losing my home I'd go somewhere warm if I had to live outdoors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 06:47 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,584,106 times
We are already in a state of prolonged recession ... depression is highly unlikely, although we are starting to see signs of stagflation very similar to that of 1973-1980. Added that the government is printing paper money to rescue failed financial institutions, creating a combination of inflation and price of products lower than they are produced, for example foreclosed homes at $1000 a piece? The economy isn't going anywhere anytime soon, I'd say it'd start to get better in 2012 but the next 4 years will be volatile. Keep the eggs in the basket for a rainy day.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
the government is printing paper money to rescue failed financial institutions, creating a combination of inflation and price of products lower than they are produced
They've been doing that since the 1960s at least.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
They've been doing that since the 1960s at least.
not with these kind of numbers........

Old 11-21-2008, 07:31 PM

Oh it started going down from 1913,sorry...

YouTube - 3 Federal Reserve History

Old 11-21-2008, 10:05 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,197,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Tax the rich; they can afford it. They've gotten rich on this Ponzi scheme, now let them pay for it.
Yes, because all the poor and unemployed people will create jobs and get the economy going again. We'll do as Obama says and "build the economy from the bottom up." Let me know when you get hired by a poor person. Hope that works out for you.

If only we didn't have those evil rich people building businesses, employing people, paying 60% of the taxes, innovating and taking risks....geez, why can't anyone appreciate mediocrity any more?

It's really sad that so many people buy into the class warfare arguments and have no idea how economies function.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I agree the poor will never be able to pull this country out of this recession;as they never have. It will be the same people that have always done it.Most people will be busy competing for the jobs with people they never competed with before.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:18 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Yes, because all the poor and unemployed people will create jobs and get the economy going again. We'll do as Obama says and "build the economy from the bottom up." Let me know when you get hired by a poor person. Hope that works out for you.

If only we didn't have those evil rich people building businesses, employing people, paying 60% of the taxes, innovating and taking risks....geez, why can't anyone appreciate mediocrity any more?

It's really sad that so many people buy into the class warfare arguments and have no idea how economies function.
It is posts like this that makes it worth coming to CD and reading around. Thanks!

I work for a media source owned by a very wealthy man. I don't begrudge his wealth. I am glad he has it and hope he will be able to keep it. I don't think there is a poor person out there who will really be financially savvy enough to give me a comparable job.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:35 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I think it will be more likely in 2012 when the end of the world is predicted to happen according to ancient Mayan scripts.
I thought the "End of the World" already happened several times, according to all those previous predictions.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:05 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
I think there's a common misconception that rich business owners need to alleviated of all tax burden or responsibility to society, so they'll have ample reward to keep forming new businesses.

But in fact most of them aren't solely motivated by wealth, they enjoy creating businesses, and many of them wouldn't even mind giving up one or two of the fleet of luxury and racing cars if it meant that ordinary people could have a decent standard of living.

It's a matter of balance. European countries are able to provide universal health care, liveable wages, 6 weeks of vacation per year, and they don't have multitudes of homeless disabled people living in cardboard boxes and dumpster-diving for food.

And yet their businesses seem to be doing all right for the most part, plenty of profit-making without feeling any need to withhold medical care and a decent wage from their workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics