Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:29 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,255 times

Advertisements

Supposedly Citi had a couple of offers (to be bought) this week, and turned them down. Now they're heading to the government for a bailout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Actually the CEO came on the show and said it himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 01:03 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
"Vikram S. Pandit, center, the chief executive of Citigroup, set up a companywide phone call to reassure anxious employees. "

I love how CEOs do this type of stuff. Wachovia's CEO did the same thing. He told everyone the company is fine and I think he even went on the Cramer show and said that. Of course a week later the company was bought out.
Bob Steele sent an email to Wachovia employees the morning before the collapse to reassure them and remind their customers that they were well capitalized. That's fraud.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:50 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
I didn't realize they had been around since the early 1800's or were considered one of the largest banks in the world. It's really a shame to see so many people possibly lose their jobs right before the holidays. Since they partnered with Shell Oil on the rewards deal....why doesn't Shell help bail them out or do a merge? (I know nothing about finances.)

Old 11-22-2008, 02:17 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Dispite the fact that I have become an anti-bailout activist of late. It is fairly obvious even to me that citigroup will be fine. It has been known for a long time that citigroup is in the catagory of to big to fail and the gov't will take whatever action is necessary for it not to go under.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:32 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that these death watches always take place on a weekend? I guess that's to allow ample time for lots of posturing and intrigue on CNBC about whether the Fed, other companies, etc. are going to have an emergency closed door meeting.
Yes, I've noticed. I guess they don't want the press leaking out all the bad news so they can keep shareholders hanging on for just one more weekend.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:52 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
6 months ago people were saying WaMu and Lehman Brothers were "too big to fail".... Nothing is too big to fail and that includes the US government.

The US government will do everything in its power to have an orderly collapse, but Citigroup can fail.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:54 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,525 times
I love how these guys(CEO's) always say it's because of rumor mongering!! Actually it's because they ran their business into the ground due to poor risk management. Pandit hasn't been CEO at Citi that long so he can't take all the heat for it's position but just once I would like to see one of these clowns stand up and talk straight

Old 11-22-2008, 07:25 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
If we see Cramer saying that Citi is going to be ok, we'll know it's the end.
Cramer is an idiot.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:57 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
This thread made me think of this thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...ing-under.html

Old 11-23-2008, 08:45 AM

458 posts, read 776,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
6 months ago people were saying WaMu and Lehman Brothers were "too big to fail".... Nothing is too big to fail and that includes the US government.

The US government will do everything in its power to have an orderly collapse, but Citigroup can fail.
Citigroup is too big to be bought out by another bank. There is probably "silent" run going on as we speak by the large deposit holders. Like what happened with Wachovia. I see it being broken up, with the parts still worth something being carted away by the other banks. That's why the stock is falling. The shareholders will have worthless stocks after that.

What happens where there are no financial institutions left that are not in control of the feds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics