Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:26 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,874,318 times

Advertisements

They are in talks. Speculation is that it may happen in the next week or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 03:33 PM

9,369 posts, read 14,319,337 times
The European-style "universal banking" system, in effect for decades, is quickly becoming prevalent in the US ... Citigroup, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, WellsFargo, a few others (can somebody list likely candidates? Will Goldman Sachs expand or be taken over?)

From all this I see globalism marching along, not retreating. The field of competition is no longer the US, but the world.

In a future wave I would not be surprised to see mergers among US, Canadian and Mexican banks.

For better and for worse.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:16 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,257,416 times
I heard there a few other institutions looking, but they may not have the cash to cover the transaction. God, I hope it happens. We live in Richmond and Wachovia is a huge employer here.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:25 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,394,730 times
I would guess that Wachovia will definitely be acquired. That idiotic purchase of Golden West at the peak of the housing market killed them. Golden West made almost nothing but those uber-toxic liar loans and would have been one of the first to fall, had deep pockets Wachovia not snapped it up. Conservative Wachovia taking on that kind of risk was pure greed.

We are "thinning the herd" in our financial system. The weak will be gobbled up by the strong, and those that are dying will be picked off one-by-one in the coming weeks. The sooner the better. The market will be plagued by fear and uncertainty until the ones that are teetering either fall or find a safety net.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:29 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,583 times
Huge afterhours transactions on Wachovia tonight.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:40 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,956 times
Wachovia is apparently in talks with Citi, Wells Fargo and others as well. As goodbyehollywood mentioned, their purchasing of a vast Option ARM portfolio at the peak was an incredibly stupid move. They dumped long term strategy and sound business for short term potential.

Much like WAMU and CW jumping into BC and Option ARMs, but worse. They went form 0 to 100 overnight, and at the worst point possible. This goes under "what were they thinking".

Old 09-26-2008, 04:43 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,812 times
So, if mergers, acquisitions, and bankruptcies are happening naturally... why do we need a bail out?

-chuck22b

Old 09-26-2008, 04:56 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,257,416 times
This just occurred to me...IF Wachovia is NOT taken over but the FDIC has to take care of it, what could happen to the executive board of Wachovia? Is this considered malfeasance or nonfeasance due to lack of action earlier or lack of over seeing the powers that be getting us into this mess? I was just wondering...

Old 09-26-2008, 05:33 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
So, if mergers, acquisitions, and bankruptcies are happening naturally... why do we need a bail out?

-chuck22b
Systemic risk.

The market reaction to the WaMu failure is funny and interesting. So many people were obviously betting on bailouts of this big companies. The FED etc were caught off guard with the Bear Sterns situation. But by that time Lehman (and now WaMu) failed the FED, etc understood matters much better and moves to prevent systemic risk have already been made (Many new FED faculties were created after the Bear Sterns bailout).

Incidentally, when Humbolt1 claimed these companies were "too big to fail" just a bit ago I mentioned the moves by the FED that apparently nobody was paying attention to, or at least didn't understand what they were trying to achieve.

Anyhow, any merger etc with Wachovia is going to be a shotgun marriage. Buying Wachovia is fairly stupid. The situation is just like WaMu. Why acquire it now, when you can buy the assets you want from the FDIC for less? Citi is is doing bad themselves, it makes little sense for them to acquire Wachovia without ....you know a shotgun to the head. I wonder when the market is going to start taking interest in Citi's off the balance sheet toxic soup:

Bloomberg.com: Exclusive

Old 09-26-2008, 05:52 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
I actually heard on the news today that a Spanish bank may be taking on Wachovia.....eeeek .. we are definetly alreay owned by too many foreign countries to get out from under it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics