Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:24 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times

Advertisements

Yes, its extremely tough to get a job nowadays and I have recommended several small business owners to close shop (and lay off their employees) and find work while the economic recession takes hold which I think will last for about 4-5 years. They can open shop again when things improve. I guess I am the "bad guy" for firing more people especially during bad times but who is going to look out for the small business owners? Personally, I was going to hire someone but with the economy going the way it is, its probably best that I don't... I also played around with the idea of opening another small business but at this point in time, it would not be a wise decision... If the government and the new president continues to steal as much money as possible, its not going to end well... 2012... the make it or break it point for America...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 11:30 AM

465 posts, read 1,417,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Yes, its extremely tough to get a job nowadays and I have recommended several small business owners to close shop (and lay off their employees) and find work while the economic recession takes hold which I think will last for about 4-5 years. They can open shop again when things improve. I guess I am the "bad guy" for firing more people especially during bad times but who is going to look out for the small business owners? Personally, I was going to hire someone but with the economy going the way it is, its probably best that I don't... I also played around with the idea of opening another small business but at this point in time, it would not be a wise decision... If the government and the new president continues to steal as much money as possible, its not going to end well... 2012... the make it or break it point for America...
I don't know, I hear pawn shops are doing pretty good. No seriosly.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:30 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times
Here in the Panhandle there are not many jobs to go around. They are laying off, closing up or "down sizing". I know people with masters applying at the Walmarts, Targets and Mcdonalds and they are over 50. Are they getting hired NO. Are they being told they are over qualified YES. Are there 300 applications for 1 min. wage position, YES. When you are over 50 with 30 yrs experience and you are being interviewed by someone 25, hoping to climb that ladder, you are a threat. They also do not believe you will stay around and they don't want to train you for fear of you leaving for a better position at the first chance you get.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:31 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Also the end of the Mayan calendar. 2012 is also the last year for a report entitled "The End Game" by ICE. Very strange this year seems to be crucial.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:32 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Here in the Panhandle there are not many jobs to go around. They are laying off, closing up or "down sizing". I know people with masters applying at the Walmarts, Targets and Mcdonalds and they are over 50. Are they getting hired NO. Are they being told they are over qualified YES. Are there 300 applications for 1 min. wage position, YES. When you are over 50 with 30 yrs experience and you are being interviewed by someone 25, hoping to climb that ladder, you are a threat. They also do not believe you will stay around and they don't want to train you for fear of you leaving for a better position at the first chance you get.
And just how much training is involved at McDonalds? Aye, aye, aye. This gives me a huge headache.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:48 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times
LOL, Oh I hear you. I wouldn't think much, I have flipped many hamburgers in my lifetime for my kids.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I think we are in early satges of teh unemployment in this recession. many that hae just been layed off are in teh stage that they are trying to find a job within their profession that they just were inh. I mean unemployment is jsut at 6.7% national. As the unem0loyment raises peole will start to move to keep taht profession and others will cahnge .Its just like evry recession. Nobody wants to go from midle income to waorkignat Wal-mart or McDonalds afterall if they can find otehr jobs. Most will ove rether than drop that much in income. So no surprise there.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:24 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
And just how much training is involved at McDonalds? Aye, aye, aye. This gives me a huge headache.
You might have to learn something like the penis showing game in the movie Waiting.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:54 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by political genius View Post
I hoped to get some replies from people who were over 40 (like my cousin) had worked in a professional/management/executive position but for what ever reason had to get just any job to survive. While their goal was to get a professional job again, financial pressure required them to accept a job that had a quick hiring process and likely paid under $10 an hour.
OK. I can sort of speak to that situation. I do projects. So when the project is done -- typically so am I. Next one I may get hired on for about what seems to be my current high number -- around $240,000/yr, or maybe at the bottom -- around $10/hr, or generally I set the base at $20/hr. I do not view any particular number as "my worth," but rather just a budget number and slot level as to what, where, and when I am doing on the project I have been hired to help on.

Some days I may be viewed as the top dog overseeing a 50 to 100 man crew, interacting with Corporate Boards and such, and sometimes just a helper along with a crew doing Solar Installs or Christmas lights. All good by me.

Overall, I would and do recommend all to live WELL below what they may be making, and make sure they can get by on the low numbers they may get.

Quote:
Would Walmart, 7-11 or McDonalds hire a 45 year old executive who needed any job just to pay the bills? Or would they prefer to hire a college kid or younger immigrant who would fit in with the majority of the workforce and likely stick around at least six months?
Dunno. Have never tried Walmart, 7-11 or McDonalds. Wait a second. Some of the guys I work with did a string of 7-11 remodels as contractors, and made some pretty good bucks. At any rate, if I were so inclined to do one of those I think I would try Taco Bell. I like some of their stuff, and would be amused to build an automated Taco Bell. But to do good automation design, it is best to study the machine from the inside. So being a burrito roller and taco bender for a month or so could be fun and educational. Towards your question -- of who whom would "like" to hire -- I think you would be playing to roles and models and while that is do-able, it is sort of another topic.

Quote:
I told the relative who believed that anyone could get a job in a few weeks that he was out of touch and while there are plenty of low waged unskilled jobs still out there that would interview someone one day and they could start the next day, only a select demographic would be hired into these jobs. 50 year old ex executives need not apply? Right?
jmho -- the entire discussion your family is having at each other is kind of pointless and stupid. Mr. Know-it-all-anyone-can-get-a-job is not hiring, is he? Probably for two reasons -- he has no real business, and no money to hire anyone, anyway. A de facto bs-er. The I-CANT relative is probably correct, he cant. No point in getting in the middle of a pointless conversation.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:02 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by political genius View Post
On Thanksgiving my cousin told one of the relatives that he had been unemployed for six months and the XXX hit the fan. The older relative, who has never been unemployed, told the jobless relative that he needed to get in gear. He insisted anyone who wants to work can get a relatively good job in short order and only lazy people are unemployed for more than a few weeks. The unemployed relative (who WAS a mid level Marketing Manager) said it is not that easy. Employers will not hire out of work managers/executives for low level poorly paid jobs because they are overqualified and will not fit into the work force.

While I am still working, I am extremely nervous about losing my job and expect that it would take me a long time to find something similar. But would an employer hire an out of work executive who is over 50 for a job paying under $10 an hour? Maybe not. (These are potentially the type of jobs one could get quickly to tide them over. These types of jobs do not involve months long interviewing and selection processes)

Anyone here worked a relatively high paying professional job who was thrown out of work and was successful at getting a low paying job to tide them over until they were hired back into a good job again?
I agree and disagree. If you are in a pinch and need some sort of income, there is not an excuse for an able bodied person to be out of work. Even in a down economy there are just too many possibilities.

Getting laid off from an overhead position and trying to find a lateral replacement is tricky. If your job is in such little demand that a layoff was deemed necessary, it stands to reason that the lack of demand is not isolated to your former employer.

I think the perceived "acceptability" of extended unemployment correlates to how badly the unemployed needs a job. A single guy with considerable savings can afford to sit on the couch and play XBOX while periodically checking Yahoo Finance. A father with dependents doesn't have that luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics