Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:40 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times

Advertisements

We live in interesting times folks. Perhaps a bit scary for a lot of people but...... I would say very interesting none the less. In my honest opinion I think the world is going to look a bit different going forward and things are not going to be business as usual when we get out of this economic crisis.

So......with this in mind, I'm thinking about the future. More so...the future for the American's up and coming work force "the kids" and what they should do in order to survive in the "new" American economy.

So let me ask you guys. If you were a high-school guidance counselor and/or college counselor what would you advise a young student to do to prepare themselves for the future work force?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 03:53 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
I'm not sure, but all my nieces and nephews want to be actors, singers and rock stars. I try to tell them to think about other things, but then I just end up looking like the mean uncle.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:13 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I'm not sure, but all my nieces and nephews want to be actors, singers and rock stars. I try to tell them to think about other things, but then I just end up looking like the mean uncle.
That's quite normal, unfortunately, and instilled by the mass media, such as the shows on Disney Channel to make one example.

I would advise them to seriously compare the value of a university education versus vocational training (electricity, plumbing, mechanics, construction, farming, use of computers for those purposes, etc.) and encourage them to pursue cultural and spiritual life on their own and in conjunction with family members, friends, and members of the local community.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 AM

Yeah, they watch all the Disney crap. But are all still pretty young so there is only so much you can say to them without hurting their feelings.

But they are old enough to start developing interests in things and its unfortunate that they pick such stupid things. I wish their parents would get rid of all the crap TV they let them watch.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:48 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
As yet two more female physician/attorneys I know quit work to be a stay at home moms, I wonder what parents and counselors are telling the girls about careers, student loans, big debt, long educations, and then several years later setting it all aside to be a stay at home moms.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
So let me ask you guys. If you were a high-school guidance counselor and/or college counselor what would you advise a young student to do to prepare themselves for the future work force?
Have as much fun in high school as possible, while still getting into a 4-year college. During that time period, read often and learn to communicate better than your peers.

College is the most over-hyped experience in modern American life. The movies often fail to highlight how broke you'll be. When you get there, you'll be pulled in different directions. Various administrators and academa-crats will tell you that you must take certain classes, and that's fine - but don't ever let them tell you that you shouldn't or can't take a class that you want to take. The object of your first few years is to dip a toe into every field you think is interesting, regardless of its relevance to your declared major.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:53 PM

Nothin' wrong with being a stay at home mom, sure beats the both parents working 40+ hours a week and the kids rotting away in pre-school technique.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:52 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Nothin' wrong with being a stay at home mom, sure beats the both parents working 40+ hours a week and the kids rotting away in pre-school technique.
Totally agree, but why spend 7-8 years in college and take out $100,000+ loans to become a doctor or attorney if you are going to give it up a few years later?

Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Totally agree, but why spend 7-8 years in college and take out $100,000+ loans to become a doctor or attorney if you are going to give it up a few years later?
I'm sure they'll go back to it after a few years. I know a few doctors and lawyers who stopped for a little bit but started practicing again after their kids got a little older. They start off with part time then go full time.

Even if one starts at 40, they can still practice a good 25 years or so. I wouldn't say the education is a waste.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:02 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
If you are going to college, get a degree that is going to give you real job skills, or don't bother.

For example, a degree in computer sciences, engineering, math, accounting, or even pre-med is good. Nursing is good. Anything with health care is good.

If you want to major in English or Anthropology or Sociology or History, please don't even bother. What a waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics