Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:22 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

PALM BEACH - To get accepted as a member at the Palm Beach Country Club - founded by Jews during the 1950s when the other clubs in this exclusive resort town were restricted - you have to be more than rich. You have to be a real mensch, a person of character.

And the way to prove that is to show that you contribute a fortune every year to charity.

Bernard Madoff passed that test long ago, something his fellow members have suddenly come to regret.

Prosecutors say Madoff preyed on club members, scamming them for millions dollars and betraying the trust that is so valued inside the walls of the exclusive club.

Ninety-five-year-old Carl J. Shapiro, who thought of Madoff as a son and vouched for him with many fellow club members, told the Palm Beach Daily News that the revelations of Madoff's trickery were like "a knife in the heart."

Madoff Allegations Hit Palm Beach Country Club Hard

click on the link if you want to read more of this sad scam story that left people with a feeling of betrayal and with less money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 11:39 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I'm still shocked on how many people he bilked and for how much. Usually wealthy folks have a keen eye for finances.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:48 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,887 times
Oh god this is terrible. Where will they play tennis and drink mint juleps now? They'll have to be around...normal people....I feel dirty just thinking about it.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:01 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,255 times
Well we can safely say that they were NOT good judges of character

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
PALM BEACH - To get accepted as a member at the Palm Beach Country Club - founded by Jews during the 1950s when the other clubs in this exclusive resort town were restricted - you have to be more than rich. You have to be a real mensch, a person of character.

!

Old 12-18-2008, 02:31 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,501 times
hahah... for the people who lost everything.... I feel bad for them but at the same time why would you invest EVERYTHING in this guy? Even if he was giving you good returns its not wise at all to trust someone with ALL of your money. 50% I could understand.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:42 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Well we can safely say that they were NOT good judges of character
I think we can more safely say that Madoff is, indeed, a sociopath.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:01 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I think we can more safely say that Madoff is, indeed, a sociopath.
I don't think so... I think the played the game and he played it well... the only difference between him and a politician... the politicians can do the same thing and it is legal...

Old 12-18-2008, 03:08 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,255 times
I wonder how these people earned all that money in the first place if they have such poor investing skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
hahah... for the people who lost everything.... I feel bad for them but at the same time why would you invest EVERYTHING in this guy? Even if he was giving you good returns its not wise at all to trust someone with ALL of your money. 50% I could understand.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:16 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,070,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Oh god this is terrible. Where will they play tennis and drink mint juleps now? They'll have to be around...normal people....I feel dirty just thinking about it.
Its a bad thing when we have people like you around....I feel dirty just thinking about it.
The guy was a genious, yes smart people can be evil. He shouldn't be jailed at all.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:20 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,070,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
I wonder how these people earned all that money in the first place if they have such poor investing skills.
Most of it was passed down. Plus the majority did not earn their money from the stock market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics