Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:15 PM

6 posts, read 34,993 times

Advertisements

Hi, hope you have 5 minutes lol
I'm an average Puerto Rican-Dominican Living in PA....I got the interest of learning language since I was little and met a man that hanged out with Italians and Hispanics...well I wanted to be like him so I work work and work and study the languages at the same time with language programs and reading, 3 years later I got enough. When I got to high school on my 2nd year I did a study abroad to Brazil for a year and a half....came back a fluent Portuguese speaker...next year France....fluent French speaker and finally Italy...I'm a native spanish speaker by the way.

I go to a Liberal art college rank 27 in the country with a GPA of 3.7
Working on my major now, always been good with math and I was told to work with finance I decided to become a finance major....

now that I finish my minor in French since I had some problems with the language and only studied abroad for 6 months.... I want to know everything there is to it in finance....can someone tell me what can I expect once I start working out of college? where is the best place? what company? how can I get the most out of my languages?

I'm a fluent Spanish Portuguese Italian and French speaker now

all I can do to get me a better salary? like internship certificate ect.

My finance is from Brazil, she really wants to go back to her countries for a couple of years in 2010 is it possible to work for an American bank and get American salary while in Brazil....salary sucks in that country (no offense)

thanks for reading hope you give me a detailed answer.....I enjoy reading as much as the next guy

any information will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 PM

413 posts, read 2,561,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migueljs View Post
Hi, hope you have 5 minutes lol
I'm an average Puerto Rican-Dominican Living in PA....I got the interest of learning language since I was little and met a man that hanged out with Italians and Hispanics...well I wanted to be like him so I work work and work and study the languages at the same time with language programs and reading, 3 years later I got enough. When I got to high school on my 2nd year I did a study abroad to Brazil for a year and a half....came back a fluent Portuguese speaker...next year France....fluent French speaker and finally Italy...I'm a native spanish speaker by the way.

I go to a Liberal art college rank 27 in the country with a GPA of 3.7
Working on my major now, always been good with math and I was told to work with finance I decided to become a finance major....

now that I finish my minor in French since I had some problems with the language and only studied abroad for 6 months.... I want to know everything there is to it in finance....can someone tell me what can I expect once I start working out of college? where is the best place? what company? how can I get the most out of my languages?

I'm a fluent Spanish Portuguese Italian and French speaker now

My finance is from Brazil, she really wants to go back to her countries for a couple of years in 2010 is it possible to work for an American bank and get American salary while in Brazil....salary sucks in that country (no offense)

thanks for reading hope you give me a detailed answer.....I enjoy reading as much as the next guy

Top 27 college, 3.7 gpa - You should actually get a job with a company rather than working as an intro stockbroker or an assistant manager of McDonalds. Try for Wall Street, try for some companies, you should be able to get something even though all the NPV stuff you learned can be done by a computer program. For the most part a business degree is worthless.

P.S. There is nothing unique about your experience.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:00 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
And there's nothing helpful about your post.

To the OP: with your background, you might focus on international business opportunities. You might also research US companies that have offices in Brazil, since you mentioned the possibility of you living there after graduation for a while. I don't know how much time you have left in school, but summer internships are a great way to gain experience and get your foot in the door with a company that you would like to work for after graduation. Try working with your school's career placement office to learn about opportunities that are available to you. You can also get help refining your resume and practicing interview skills. My last piece of advice is to network as much as possible while in school. The contacts that you make will be just as valuable as the degree that you earn. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:57 AM

558 posts, read 2,249,139 times
Quote:
Top 27 college, 3.7 gpa - You should actually get a job with a company rather than working as an intro stockbroker or an assistant manager of McDonalds. Try for Wall Street, try for some companies, you should be able to get something even though all the NPV stuff you learned can be done by a computer program. For the most part a business degree is worthless.

WOW - dismissive, petty, and rude. Funny thing is...lots of the most successful people I know have business degrees.

To the OP: you are on a good track for success, and I'm sure you'll do very well. Your bilingual ability will serve you well. And, welcome to the USA - where most of us are welcoming!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:14 AM

781 posts, read 3,817,033 times
Quote:
For the most part a business degree is worthless.

OP....you are unique....your talent and gift with languages is a huge plus in the current global market.

As far as a business degree....any degree is never worthless,knowledge is power!!!! There will always be a place for those that have good business backgrounds.

Good Luck

Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migueljs View Post

It is great that you are fluent in many languages. That's certainly a skill that holds value, and one that you should seek to be compensated for.

I would work on my writing skills in English: spelling, grammar, sentence structure, punctuation. You may be tremendously intelligent, but American companies typically won't hire a white-collar worker who makes grammatical mistakes and spelling errors.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:24 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
How did you get the opportunity to study abroad like that so many times for so long in high school? That is quite rare.

Lots of Europeans can speak that many languages. It is the combo that counts like spanish and chinese would be hella useful

But yeh you should apply to the major firms and see what you can get. You have nothing to lose

I can be conversational in chinese, and I took spanish in high school, but I need to freshen up a bit. I wish I was better.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:40 PM

95 posts, read 640,051 times
I will be majoring in finance starting this summer. All I can say is finance is an incredibly lucrative degree program.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallandbuff View Post
I will be majoring in finance starting this summer. All I can say is finance is an incredibly lucrative degree program.
Well, you're half right. Finance can offer a lucrative career path but is certainly no guaranteed ticket to wealth. The degree is simply a tool that you have at your disposal. The results will depend on you, not the degree.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:25 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
First of all the question is much to broad. You have a finance degree but so do many others and you will be entering a tough market - do you want to stay in PA? Your question really centers on job finding skills. But be realistic, you will likely have to settle for a lower level, low salary, long hour job with a local accounting firm for a few years until you build up your resume.

In college sign up and sit for all the interviews you can, for practice if nothing else. Do you research with the job sites on the internet. Decide also on a subset of finance you can specialize in - tax accounting? Audit? business IT?

Now you have language skills, which unfortunetly I am going to tell you is not as valuable as you stress in your OP. I am being realistic here. It will help with a limited number of companies. But remember most companies hire nationals to work in its foreign interests....and, english, being the "language of business", is spoken by every executive worldwide so as to minimize the need to know a foreign language. Still - stress your language skills on the resume and it will certainly help for some companies.

edit - yikes, why in the hell did someone bring back a post from 2007?

Last edited by Dd714; 03-16-2009 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics