Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:45 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times

Advertisements

Rumor: Circuit City On Death's Door, Closing 155 Stores This Monday

I have a friend who currently works @ CC, apparently today they had a "not a happy meeting."

I'm a former CC employee and saw this coming from miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 02:55 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,858,228 times
I can't help but wonder about the families who are going to suffer unemployment because of a bad economy. Is this the reward we are getting for outsourcing thousands of jobs and becoming a service economy? Lets say a prayer for them.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:05 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,664,218 times
That's been rumored for some time. Consumers have a lot more options for buying these days and if a store can't compete it's gone.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:33 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,328 times
I hope they still take the gift cards that they sold.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:51 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
Anyone know of a list of stores that are closing? The one CC near us is one of the newly designed stores where the staff is very helpful and the store has a normal layout. I would hate to see it closed. The closest Best Buys to me are 15 miles away.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:55 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Anyone know of a list of stores that are closing? The one CC near us is one of the newly designed stores where the staff is very helpful and the store has a normal layout. I would hate to see it closed. The closest Best Buys to me are 15 miles away.
It comes out tomorrow.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:52 PM

51 posts, read 106,598 times
oops, my bad. After Schoonover started laying off higher paid employees and then rehiring them at lower salaries. I took my money elsewhere.....

Old 11-02-2008, 08:10 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I hope they still take the gift cards that they sold.
I'd use them ASAP. As soon as company is bankrupt, holders of these gift cards become creditors and get in line for compensation. Very likely that they'll get nothing. I seem to remember this happening with Sharper Image.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,548 times
Lightbulb Clearing as much air as I can...

There will be Circuit City stores that are open through the holidays, as well as circuitcity.com. You have time to use your gift cards. The only way all of the stores will close is if they have to file for bankruptcy, which if they do, won't be until the after the new year. For the time being, I am a current employee at Circuit City, and the stores that they are closing are the ones that aren't productive. I feel for the employees that are losing the jobs, but not all of them were ideal employees either. If they were, then their store would've been more productive and would have brought in more money.

I've also heard before that people were worried about their promotional financing with their credit cards and the warranties that were purchased. We finance through Chase bank (at least it's the bank used out here) and the bank is the one that's offering the financing...it's something that the company already paid the bank to offer. The warranties are also through a 3rd party. Part of the warranty cost is used to pay an insurance company to honor the warranties that were previously purchased. You won't be able to extend your warranty, but you are able to have your products covered for the time already purchased. My recommendation is to get any receipts needed before your local store closes. The main warranty telephone number is 1-888-333-2333. Hoped I helped. That was a lot...

Old 11-03-2008, 01:04 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
It's been more than a year since I set foot in a Circuit City. Last time I went the service was so horrible that I swear I got better customer service at Walmart than at that store. The employees were too busy playing video games to help the customers and when one would ask for help they'd get upset and say "can't you see I'm playing here?". If that store goes out of business then they get what they deserve. Right after leaving the store I wrote to the national office online and never got a reply. Guess they were too busy playing games "dude".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics