Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 02:44 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges. A scientific discovery or an invention is no comparison to an economic or social structure. Two very different things.

Some would say economics, philosophy and poltical science ARE in fact sciences, so I imagine you are refering to physical sciences here.

That said, AGAIN, its the premise. You are associating the wrong part of the argument, just as UFC did with Martin Luther King. The fact is, any discovery, invention, law, blah blah, it was a thought, and unless someone fleshed it out, and followed it through any adversity, it would NEVER have been reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 02:46 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,731 times
Quote:
Nonsense. What happens when some small businesses become more successful than others? They grow into big businesses. Then what? You're back where you started from...

This is always my issue with those that want to hold on to capitalism, but mold it in to some sort of hybrid. How much government intervention is going to be needed to completely restrict natural capitalistic tendencies?

Could you even actually call the end result capitalism any more?

Old 04-02-2009, 03:03 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
That said, AGAIN, its the premise. You are associating the wrong part of the argument, just as UFC did with Martin Luther King. The fact is, any discovery, invention, law, blah blah, it was a thought, and unless someone fleshed it out, and followed it through any adversity, it would NEVER have been reality.
I understand your argument. However, your examples are still not comparable and don't really strengthen your case. What's the cost of a failed experiment or invention? The lost time, energy and money that went into the project. What's the cost of a failed economic system? Disaster. Apples to oranges.

All of your arguments depend upon a change in human nature. A change that simply isn't going to happen. There is a reason that capitalism succeeds where every other system fails. Trying to change human nature to accommodate a new economic system is akin to changing gravity to accommodate a new type of airplane. You're focused on the wrong issue.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:08 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,283,402 times
Quote:
Nonsense. What happens when some small businesses become more successful than others? They grow into big businesses. Then what? You're back where you started from...
I don't think businesses getting larger is the problem. Many of the corporations that I've mentioned that have a more sustainable structure are large. It's when businesses become too large to fail (systematically ingrained), engages in mass labor arbitrage, and receives government favoritism are when things get out of hand.

Basically, things get out of hand when corporations violate the public trust. One such violation is when they engage in systematic efforts to reduce/marginalize American labor and capitalize on foreign labor at the cost of both foreign labor capital (wages that can't afford them to even buy the goods they produce) and domestic labor (loss of jobs that would marginalize the purchasing power of those that consume the goods here) for the sole benefit of the capitalists. Which leads to the large sucking of American (and, in part foreign worker) wealth from the poor/middle to the wealthy/rich.

After all, corporations are allowed to sell here in the USA because of the government and the act of incorporation. People allow corporations to exist, to become its' own entity for the mutual benefit of the corporation and the people (ie, government). Sadly, both government and corporations have lost sight of this connection. Without the ability to incorporate/form business entities or procure licenses, it is Illegal to sell in the USA. It's about time that the people of the USA realize that companies do not have the RIGHT to sell here, but the privilege to sell here given to them by US.

-chuck22b

Last edited by chuck22b; 04-02-2009 at 03:29 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 03:40 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
It's about time that the people of the USA realize that companies do not have the RIGHT to sell here, but the privilege to sell here given to them by US.

-chuck22b
This makes no sense to me either. Consumers vote with their wallets, so the privilege of selling in America is in no way a guarantee of success for a business. When a company upsets its customers, the result is a loss of revenue. Taken to a high enough degree, the result is a business failure. Likewise, when a company caters to customers and meets their needs/wants, that company prospers. I don't think that Americans have lost sight of this fact.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
This makes no sense to me either. Consumers vote with their wallets, so the privilege of selling in America is in no way a guarantee of success for a business. When a company upsets its customers, the result is a loss of revenue. Taken to a high enough degree, the result is a business failure. Likewise, when a company caters to customers and meets their needs/wants, that company prospers. I don't think that Americans have lost sight of this fact.
8 SNAKE,
There are many stakeholders involved in an economy. The employees are the ones I'm referring to in my example. Sadly, most people don't understand how things tie together at the macro level and that your incomes are tied to the ability of some other person to buy your company's products.

If everybody was poor, and there are only a few rich people... without the invention or ability to absorb credit/debt, who are going to be buying the products? In a macro view, as a business, providing the availability of jobs and livable incomes will ensure that I would have a sustainable supply of customers in the future.

American companies are at a loss of customers now because they were short sighted. Instead of addressing the real problem of not enough jobs and supportive wages, this Administration, and corporations are leaning on expanding credit availability. The problem is, is that the consumer (which could also be other businesses) can't absorb more debt (leverage) without defaulting - (not enough income).

-chuck22b

Last edited by chuck22b; 04-02-2009 at 04:14 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 04:12 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,584 times
I have these questions:
What exactly is the middle class? What is the definition of it? Where is line between high, middle and low class?

You have a great day.

El Amigo

Old 04-02-2009, 04:13 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,761 times
Quote:
I understand your argument. However, your examples are still not comparable and don't really strengthen your case. What's the cost of a failed experiment or invention? The lost time, energy and money that went into the project. What's the cost of a failed economic system? Disaster. Apples to oranges.

All of your arguments depend upon a change in human nature. A change that simply isn't going to happen. There is a reason that capitalism succeeds where every other system fails. Trying to change human nature to accommodate a new economic system is akin to changing gravity to accommodate a new type of airplane. You're focused on the wrong issue.
Bingo! Give this man a prize.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:17 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I have these questions:
What exactly is the middle class? What is the definition of it? Where is line between high, middle and low class?

You have a great day.

El Amigo
Someone started a thread about that. It's a totally different topic... please go look for that thread. You are basically asking for an endless debate with your question.

Thats almost like asking the true definition of love,intelligence,happiness, etc.

You have a great day...

Old 04-02-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Bingo! Give this man a prize.
hehe ... I don't think things can never change... and like dcashley quoted Poo Bear, "Never is a very long time indeed".

I'm in the camp that people and society can evolve... and improvements can be made. Change is the only constant - and hence businesses, people, etc. must adapt. Of course that is if we don't kill each other first

Like I said, there ARE large cooperations in the USA that are socially and economically sustainable and are profitable. They just chose to spread the profits across the board instead of engaging in American wealth espionage.

I believe the old models of mass manufacturing off sourcing as the only means to gain a competitive advantage is already being challenged. And like I said, the GINI index is already adjusting and inequality is being challenged as we speak.

-chuck22b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics