Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 02:24 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Be carefull....your credibility is suffering...calling someone names only serves to punctuate ignorance.
Credibility isnt damaged when insults are traded for insults.

UFC has demonstrated that he has no desire to discuss issues based on their own merit, and I have no desire to respond to his incessant, intentional, inflamatory responses with well thought out responses any longer.

I am certainly not above sinking to name calling for the sake of name calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 02:27 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
have no desire to set myself up to fail financially, and simutaneously, lose what little I have achieved.
Good for you....I am glad to see that you know that what you've achieved has been due to YOUR efforts alone. and even if somebody gave assistanced along the way, YOU did the work. YOU'VE only started to achieve what you set out to do. By continuing to recognize that only YOUR efforts will be able to give you what YOU want, YOU will be able to do well.

So, get out there. Push harder. and if that doesn't work...then harder. Eventually you will get what YOU want. and when YOU do, you will know that it was due to YOUR efforts and YOU will have much to be proud of.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Credibility isnt damaged when insults are traded for insults.
Um..yes it is. Credibility is enhanced when insults are ignored. Credibility is damaged when insults are traded for insults--this is because it shows where/when you can be provoked into a non-thinking, reactive mode. Once someone knows that--they know too much about you.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Cry you a river? You're the one whose been crying...there is no reason in the world for me to give a hoot about someone who can't figure out how to make it. It is YOUR responsibility. Not mine. Not the government's. Not mom and dad. Not Society's. Not the College. It is YOURS...completely totally and alone. If you don't like that--ok. Your likes and dislikes don't change it one iota.
If "making" it was determined solely by my own two hands, that would be the case, but its not. "Making it" is determined by how much I can pursuade a capital owner to give me. My guess is that, if surviving was determined by two hands, a whole hell of alot more of the "wealthy" would be dead right now then the poor.

Im also fully aware that my opinions or beliefs do not change squat, hence why Im doing the best I can in the system thrust upon me.

However, that does NOT remove my ability to complain, protest, speak against, or offer alternative solutions to anything I do not agree with. That right is afforded to me by the US Consitution, and if you dont like it, tough.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
that does NOT remove my ability to complain, protest, speak against, or offer alternative solutions to anything I do not agree with. That right is afforded to me by the US Consitution, and if you dont like it, tough.
I don't care if you complain or gripe. I only care about you taking responsiblity for your success to such an extent that you couldn't give a damn what anyone says or does--you WILL be succesful because of YOU. You already know nobody is going to help. Whether that is fair or not is irrelevant. It is the way things are.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Good for you....I am glad to see that you know that what you've achieved has been due to YOUR efforts alone. and even if somebody gave assistanced along the way, YOU did the work. YOU'VE only started to achieve what you set out to do. By continuing to recognize that only YOUR efforts will be able to give you what YOU want, YOU will be able to do well.
Actually, if I didnt get a few lucky breaks, I actually wouldnt ever be in a position to do any work. The work I do is mine, and the effort related to that is mine. Outside of that though, nothing is mine. My parents paid for me to go to college, yeah, I did the work, did well, and graduated, but if they didnt pay for it, I wouldnt have even been in a position to get in to the job Im in, or I would be tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and far worse off financially then I am now. Its nothing more then luck that they matched my bosses requirements enough for them to hire me over other people. I like to think that Im a good people reader, but I could have said one word wrong in that interview, and another person would have got that break. Its that simple. The whole past two years of my life could have been severely influenced by one wrong word.

Do you see what Im saying? If you come from a place where you are not financially independent, your life is largely determined by a series of situations. Some situations, you can make a good or bad decision. You can, or cant steal, you can, or cant kill. Most, you get a lucky roll, or a bad roll, and then you deal with the results. Many times you can weigh the dice the best you can, but its still a lucky roll that wins the day. I can wear a seat belt, but I can still be injured or killed in a crash. I can eat healthy, and excercise, and still come down with cancer.

Quote:
So, get out there. Push harder. and if that doesn't work...then harder. Eventually you will get what YOU want. and when YOU do, you will know that it was due to YOUR efforts and YOU will have much to be proud of.
Thats what you dont get, even if I personally scrape off a chunk of the capitalist pie in my lifetime, it was on the backs of several other people, maybe even hundreds. Because I am wealthy, many of them lost their shot.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Um..yes it is. Credibility is enhanced when insults are ignored. Credibility is damaged when insults are traded for insults--this is because it shows where/when you can be provoked into a non-thinking, reactive mode. Once someone knows that--they know too much about you.

Well, call that a character flaw then. I can be provoked, and I really dont make any secret of it. If someone wants to discount everything Ive said to that point, regardless of its content because of that fact, then so be it.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I don't care if you complain or gripe. I only care about you taking responsiblity for your success to such an extent that you couldn't give a damn what anyone says or does--you WILL be succesful because of YOU. You already know nobody is going to help. Whether that is fair or not is irrelevant. It is the way things are.

Thats my whole issue man.......what ever changed by people saying "Oh well, thats just the way things are".

This country was supposedly founded on the ability to change, that is why our Constitution is a living document. Its sad that many Americans are content with just turning the screws a little harder on themselves then turning them on change.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:05 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,010 times
Quote:
Thats my whole issue man.......what ever changed by people saying "Oh well, thats just the way things are".

This country was supposedly founded on the ability to change, that is why our Constitution is a living document. Its sad that many Americans are content with just turning the screws a little harder on themselves then turning them on change.
Those who have achieved success, or want to maintain the status quo will not want to change or adapt.

Things are already changing... the economy, is forcing this change. Extreme imbalances that were forced through economic, fiscal, political policies are being tested. It'll be a miracle, but not impossible, if the status quo can be maintained after all this is said and done.

-chuck22b

Old 04-23-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Thats what you dont get, even if I personally scrape off a chunk of the capitalist pie in my lifetime, it was on the backs of several other people, maybe even hundreds. Because I am wealthy, many of them lost their shot.
Wealth creation is not a zero sum game. It never has been. It was taught throughout the middle ages by the Catholic Church that wealth creeation was A) bad and B) Userous or Exploitative. It is neither. We ALL get wealthier when any one of us gets wealthier. Some countries have a big problem with the wealth gap between rich and poor. Until these countries get rid of political corruption, and impute a sense of trust into their business relationships, these problems will continue. But the rule of as one gets wealthier, all get wealthier even applies there.

So, if you make yourself insanely rich, you will absolutely create economic opportunities for many, many others. Doing so is not evil. Doing so is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics