Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 06:06 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,336 times

Advertisements

Who said we can't make "clothes" in America?

In a world where the major brands continue to seek out the cheapest production costs and labor, American Apparel bucks this long established trend.

Starting with only 3 stores in Southern California's garment district in 2004, American Apparel now has 263 stores world-wide in 19 different countries (2008).

Pride in vertical integration from design, production, to delivery, American Apparel pays the highest wages ($12/hr for garment workers) and provides the most benefits (medical clinic, massages, etc.) for every employee from garment workers to the CEO. They even have a policy to pay at least US minimum wages to Chinese Sales Associates - (ie, way above local wages).

And who says it can't be profitable? American Apparel has quadrupled its' net sales revenue from 133.8 million in 2004 to 545 million in 2008 with a gross margin of 55%.

Archived Films - Video Collections - Gallery - American Apparel

Made in Los Angeles, providing sustainable wages and growth, embodying the diversity, creativity, and innovation of America. A good example of The REAL American way.

If we can be profitable and socially responsible manufacturing and producing textiles in the US, we can produce anything.

http://investors.americanapparel.net/financials.cfm

-chuck22b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 06:32 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,948 times
American Apparel makes very comfortable clothes. They do charge ridiculous prices however. $22 for a t-shirt? $45 for a sweatshirt? I still think thrift clothing is the way to go.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Never been in one.

I don't care what country they come from, T-shirts and hoodies are ratty and sloppy and I won't be buying any.

Surely America is capable of better than sweats and T's?

Old 04-01-2009, 07:19 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Never been in one.

I don't care what country they come from, T-shirts and hoodies are ratty and sloppy and I won't be buying any.

Surely America is capable of better than sweats and T's?
My commentary isn't that the US can only produce t-shirts and hoodies but that the US can engage in manufacturing in an industry dominated by outsourcing and finding the cheapest common denominator.

What they chose to produce depends on the demographic they are targeting and the current trends, and not necessarily that the US can only produce t-shirts and hoodies.

I'm not really into fashion and such, but from what I see of teens and young adults these days, what's in style is ratty and sloppy. Abercrombie and such stores sell jeans that look used, and have holes in them and also cost an arm and a leg. The difference between them and American Apparel, is one is made in the USA, while the other is probably made in Vietnam or Thailand.

My case in point is that American companies can still manufacture and hire people in America and still wring out a profit. Why can't we manufacture and excel in producing other goods?

-chuck22b

Old 04-01-2009, 08:26 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
The ceo of that company is an absolute sexist pig and an idiot. Can't stand him and would never buy those clothes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics