Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,494 times

Advertisements

Just paid $79 for the "Premier" US Airways Mastercard since they have some nice benefits for frequent travelers including priority check in and Zone 2 boarding.

Long story short, I was on a trip and was assigned Zone 8 boarding (the last group to board). I had a large bag I was hoping to put in an overhead bin so I tried to board during Zone 2. The rude lady at the gate said I can not board zone 2. I showed her my credit card and she just shrugged and said sorry, my boarding pass said zone 8. It was rather embarressing as everyone in line thought I was trying to cut. I then had to go to the back of the line and by the time I could board there was no room left for bags. I had to check my bag and this ended up costing me an extra 45 minutes waiting around for it at my final destination.

Here is the relevent section of the Terms and Conditions of my credit card:
Quote:
Premier World Cardmembers are permitted to board the aircraft with Zone 2, regardless of the zone printed on their boarding pass.
Perhaps I am being anal, but, this was one of the main reasons why I am paying $79 per year for this credit card. I emailed and called US Airways Mastercard and they keep telling me its not their fault and tell me to call US Airways directly (I guess they are two seperate customer support groups). I then asked what they could do to make me happy as a customer (such as give me a credit back on my $79 fee) and they refused to do anything. I asked the rep. directly if they would rather lose me as a customer then try to make me happy and she said there was nothing they could do.

Any thoughts?

(thanks for the chance to vent)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 08:16 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Do as they say and call the airlines... maybe they would do something for you..

Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I wouldn't be in your position for a number of reasons.
I wouldn't pay a credit card company for the "privilege" of them making money off me.
I don't fly, due in large part to the poor treatment from the airlines.
I wouldn't cut a line, even if I had the right to according to a card.
I wouldn't travel with a big bag if I had to travel.
I'm seriously happy not to have problems like yours.

If your CC claimed a service and then that service was denied, and they make no attempt to rectify it, that is fraud. If you wanted to spend the time fighting it, chances are they have an arbitration clause, so you can't even go to small claims court. You, my friend, have been suckered by a company claiming to make you "superior" to other travelers, and by your own desire to be treated special. Do what you probably already have figured out you have to do. Dump the card, demand your membership fees back, and let others know of your experience.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Complain to the airlines, you have a legitimate complaint. You might be able to get a flight coupon (free travel) out of it....

but, it sounds like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. The card provider promissed something that cannot be provided by the airlines due to lack of training. I wouldn't count on it getting resolved and not happening again. You might want to dump the credit card and get a credit for the yearly charge.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:01 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Just paid $79 for the "Premier" US Airways Mastercard since they have some nice benefits for frequent travelers including priority check in and Zone 2 boarding.

Long story short, I was on a trip and was assigned Zone 8 boarding (the last group to board). I had a large bag I was hoping to put in an overhead bin so I tried to board during Zone 2. The rude lady at the gate said I can not board zone 2. I showed her my credit card and she just shrugged and said sorry, my boarding pass said zone 8. It was rather embarressing as everyone in line thought I was trying to cut. I then had to go to the back of the line and by the time I could board there was no room left for bags. I had to check my bag and this ended up costing me an extra 45 minutes waiting around for it at my final destination.

Here is the relevent section of the Terms and Conditions of my credit card:

Perhaps I am being anal, but, this was one of the main reasons why I am paying $79 per year for this credit card. I emailed and called US Airways Mastercard and they keep telling me its not their fault and tell me to call US Airways directly (I guess they are two seperate customer support groups). I then asked what they could do to make me happy as a customer (such as give me a credit back on my $79 fee) and they refused to do anything. I asked the rep. directly if they would rather lose me as a customer then try to make me happy and she said there was nothing they could do.

Any thoughts?

(thanks for the chance to vent)
Call and write them a letter stating what you have experienced. I would have done the same thing as you and would have been mad if i would have paid for the privalage and it was not granted!

Todays fees are ridiculous and my son is going to fly for the first time by him self. He is a minor but just old enough so we don't have to pay for an unaccompied child and we have spoken with him about it and he told us he can do it, and it is only a hour flight. He has been on air planes ever since he was a very young child and flew at least 4 times a year so he in a way experienced, but not by him self. He is very smart and has his own cell phone, takes his computer with him, so he can get through the time if his flight will be delayed.
I have seen kids flying unaccompied and there was hardly any one looking at them, so I don't rely too much on that and to pay so much more for a short flight....
When i booked the flight I noticed that for every seat we have to pay $ 6.- or there are seats that cost $ 20.-...if you wait till check in you don't pay anything. My son told me I don't care where I have to sit, as long as you don't have to pay for it....and it reflects the way we are...this is going to get more ridiculous every time you fly.

Greta Van Susteren has complained many many times on her blog about flying and she was telling about her having paid extra to get through security faster whcih was offered by the airport security if you have paid a certain amount to have a check done, eye scan, etc...and when she gets to many airports she is looked at by others as skipping the line and in many cases they don't even do it, while she has paid for it....she complained to the airlines and airports...so should you and all others.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:02 AM

Thanks guys. My first thought was to get a credit for the $79 annual fee so I will keep trying for that. I will also call US Airways and let them know my issue.

In reponse to "harry chickpea" - I figure the best way I can screw them is by getting all of the benefits of using the card and pay my balance off every week so that they dont make any interest money from me.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:06 AM

242 posts, read 735,501 times
I gotta go with the other post here, call the airlines.
The airline person who blew the call was just uninformed.
I would have called them while sitting in line waiting.

The credit card company cannot make the employee do it, you gotta go that extra step.

I would call and complain and ask what to do next time I board. I would do it in writing via email or something.

79 bucks is not worth the time and effort to go to far on this. I would just stop paying it if you cannot get a response from the airlines and make a compaint to the proper agency.

The letter alone is not worth the time it takes to write it. I would just go with it or drop the card and walk away.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguywho View Post
I gotta go with the other post here, call the airlines.
The airline person who blew the call was just uninformed.
I would have called them while sitting in line waiting.

The credit card company cannot make the employee do it, you gotta go that extra step.

I would call and complain and ask what to do next time I board. I would do it in writing via email or something.

79 bucks is not worth the time and effort to go to far on this. I would just stop paying it if you cannot get a response from the airlines and make a compaint to the proper agency.

The letter alone is not worth the time it takes to write it. I would just go with it or drop the card and walk away.

Stop paying...it is a credit card....your credit score will plunge...you can't stop...that is the reason i don't have anymore cc than my BoA cards...

Old 04-07-2009, 01:01 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
I agree with Harry Chickpea. I also hate it when people bring large bags on an already crowded plane with hopes that it will fit somewhere. That's why they have baggage check-in - use it.

Overall, I think the OP is a little too picky. Zone 2 and zone 8 arrive at your destination at the same time. Who knew?

Old 04-07-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I agree with Harry Chickpea. I also hate it when people bring large bags on an already crowded plane with hopes that it will fit somewhere. That's why they have baggage check-in - use it.

Overall, I think the OP is a little too picky. Zone 2 and zone 8 arrive at your destination at the same time. Who knew?
There is a $15 charge to check bags. Why go through that hassle if my bag fits nicely in the overhead space?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics