Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 AM

897 posts, read 2,825,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
It is all a matter of opinion. Greensboro, NC, and Columbia, SC are this way, to me. High quality of life, stable cities, for a low price.

Some people would say these aren't great places to live because they aren't impeccably clean, they don't have much high-end retail, and they don't have a huge supply of high-paying jobs.

To this, I would say that these are typically characteristics of expensive cities.
I've never cared for Greensboro but I do like Winston-Salem.
I lived in Columbia and really liked it. Lakes nearby, great lifestyle and low COL - easy to get to the coast or mountains.

Have not been to Wrightville Beach in y e a r s. Mostly went to Carolina Beach. I have heard the traffic in Wilmington is outrageous and the COL is pricey. Still think this is a great city though - most of the small Southern cities are retirement havens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 06:09 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Actually, the cost of living in Wilmington is low - with the major exception of housing. Real estate prices and rents totally wreck the equation.

Traffic is bad, but could be relieved with a few billion in construction dollars that don't exist.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:24 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,698,009 times
Default Rochester crime!

How is the gang & crime situation there in Rochester? What about the schools? Do they rate high?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Rochester,NY... great family oriented suburbs with a very low cost of housing and living in general...
The job market however isn't great,but if you are in the education or health related fields, you have your pick.
Rochester is home to one of the best Children's museum's ; Strong Children's Museum,it is wonderful for families!
There is alot of culture,wonderful restaurants,Lake Ontario and The Finger Lakes Region not far away...
One drawback which local people seem to complain about is the taxes,and while yes,they are high,you can still find a beautiful home for under $200K,which is pretty much unheard of in many other places!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,460,850 times
For the next 5 or 6 years or so until the economy (and the country) gets back on track, living away from so-called amenities in cities and keeping a low profile in the country is probably a better bet.
You are more apt to be left alone and your life not interfered with by Big Brother out there. You might even be able to grow your own food in your own garden without being told for some reason all your fruit and vegetable plants have to be destroyed because they are "diseased", or because you aren't using enough chemicals to keep them "safe" according to the government -- which is probably what we have to look forward to in the not so distant future if HR 875 passes--which could very well criminalize organic farming and regulate back yard gardens as well.

Where I am, a man who lives in the city was just told he had to cut down a lemon tree that took him 20 years to grow because some "authority: said it was "diseased" and would die anyway. It posed no threat to anyone or any thing. A leaf from his tree fell on the side walk and the back yard garden police (from the Clemson University Agriculture Dept supposedly) happened to be walking by and picked it up; knocked on this man's door and he made the mistake of letting him in.

I like amenities but I like being left alone and not harrassed by the government better.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:03 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
How is the gang & crime situation there in Rochester? What about the schools? Do they rate high?

Thanks!

Well, unfortunately I don't live in Rochester any longer,but am originally from there.
I don't know exact statistics on the crime,but the inner city is pretty rough I would say.
The suburbs are very nice though,I am a little bias to the Eastern Suburbs as that is where I grew up. (Penfield,Webster,Fairport areas).
Great schools!
There is a thread for Rochester on the NYS forumn. You may be able to find some people who can help you better with statistics.
I have always found schoolmatters.com as a usefull website when trying to compare schools.
We have relocated quite a bit due to my husband's job,it hasn't been able to take us back to Rochester-yet!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:11 AM

897 posts, read 2,825,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Traffic is bad, but could be relieved with a few billion in construction dollars that don't exist.
Yeah, but the roads in and around Raleigh are great though!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:54 AM

339 posts, read 976,103 times
One place I can think of is Ann Arbor, MI. Excellent schools, affordable housing and a highly educated population makes it a great place to live. Even though is close to Detroit its economy is more stable (thanks to U of M) and the unemployment rate much lower.

People are not flocking there though because of the harsh winters and its too close to a disaster zone.

Gosh, I'd live there if I could but my job is on the SE of the state so the commute would be unbearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics