Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times

Advertisements

You know, there's something about a social networking site that has "Russian wife" ads on its main page that just says to me, "Ya, Pass on that."

Someone enlighten me because I am old. What's the purpose of Myspace?
You post pictures and tell people, "Am making a ham sandwich. Am happy about it. Am dating Hotty. Here is da pic. Lolz!!!!11"

Ok....

Much like this "Twitter" thing. I don't really "get" Twitter. I think I am getting too old for this. And I'm in telecom. I should care...I think. Maybe I should care because these silly things keep me employed.

"Dude! You're making a ham sandwich?" "DUde! Did you use mayo or no Mayo?" "DUde! Are you eating the sandwich?"

Yeah. I'm too old.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/te...l?ref=business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 10:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
I cant figure out why a website, would need 400 employees to begin with..

Old 06-16-2009, 10:43 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
Quote:
I cant figure out why a website, would need 400 employees to begin with..
Because for a time, it had burgeoning growth and had to add servers constantly. You needed web designers, database experts, IT/IS guys, high and low level programmers, security experts to protect data, etc. etc.. I think they had over 300 million (the population of the whole USA) users at one point if that gives you scope into their size. Now it's about 260 million.

Google has ~20,000 employees. It's not uncommon if the website is your entire business.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:47 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
Well, what was the point of the pet rock? Answer me that :-P

Old 06-17-2009, 04:58 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
I find it hard to believe that this organization employed 400 people. Their product was pretty sloppy.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:22 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
Since we appear to be of a specific age/interest group, remember that these sites really appeal to those who need to feel like their thought(s) actually count. This is how they get realized, - you know - the generation who needs to take pictures of every facet of their lives and then get offended if someone makes an off-color remark ... geez I don't know why everyone has to be so rude about my new my boob job .... oh, for some intelligence.

For what it's worth - my life is pretty darn okay without twittering, or having my mug slapped across Facebook.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Since we appear to be of a specific age/interest group, remember that these sites really appeal to those who need to feel like their thought(s) actually count. This is how they get realized, - you know - the generation who needs to take pictures of every facet of their lives and then get offended if someone makes an off-color remark ... geez I don't know why everyone has to be so rude about my new my boob job .... oh, for some intelligence.

For what it's worth - my life is pretty darn okay without twittering, or having my mug slapped across Facebook.
LOL, I know what you mean about the pictures. One of the young ladies who is a "friend" on my FaceBook (which I joined for a very specific reason which is not to talk about making ham sandwiches). Anyway this friend has over 400 pictures of herself on her FaceBook account. About 90% of them she took herself, by holding up her camera aimed at her face, and then pouts, smiles, grins, laughs, etc.. WTH???!!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 05:45 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,027,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
You know, there's something about a social networking site that has "Russian wife" ads on its main page that just says to me, "Ya, Pass on that."

You post pictures and tell people, "Am making a ham sandwich. Am happy about it. Am dating Hotty. Here is da pic. Lolz!!!!11"

Ok....

Much like this "Twitter" thing. I don't really "get" Twitter. I think I am getting too old for this. And I'm in telecom. I should care...I think. Maybe I should care because these silly things keep me employed.

"Dude! You're making a ham sandwich?" "DUde! Did you use mayo or no Mayo?" "DUde! Are you eating the sandwich?"

Yeah. I'm too old.

What is it with this "Dude" stuff. I have an employee that every other word is "dude" or "mybad". We really dropped the ball when it came to education the past 20 years.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:01 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

Ok....

Yeah. I'm too old.

I'm in the same boat and I'm a young dude, dude. I work in IT/telecom where everyone and their grandma is on mytwitterfacespacebook. I have inactive accounts on all of them. I looked at twitter for awhile and it seemed to be well suited for press release/news feeds, emergency broadcast type situations. Unfortunately everyone is very concerned about some movie star's dog's vet visit or some inane crap.

It is cool to see the citizens of Iran actually putting Twitter to good use.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 PM

929 posts, read 2,091,883 times
I don't get the MySpace site either and yes, I'm sure my age has something to do with it. I do know that a bunch of people are obsessively hooked on to these type of sites. I wonder how many relationships have been blown apart by these social networking sites. It just seems to make it easier for cheaters to go find their next prey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics