Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:38 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I gotcha. You can afford it. I think everyone would like to not have to pay PMI.
Well if I refi to save $100-$150 per month and then I have to pay $200 in PMI what is the point of refi. When I bought my house I put 20% down so I didn't have to pay PMI?. I do not plan to start now.

News flash for you, a lot of people do not pay PMI now. Remember those 80/20 mortgages. 0% down and no PMI.

I've noticed that you only pick at certain parts of my posts. I guess you have no argument for the other parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 02:59 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times
Quote:
I know, I know YOU'RE good for it. But recently, Fannie and Freddie have added a whole crapton of bad mortgages to their portfolio. Which is a bad thing. Now, they are going to give those bad mortgages even more credit.
As the other posted mention this is not true, they are not "giving even more credit". They are simply refinancing loans they currently hold. This does not increase their risk exposure or potential loses. Rather the opposite.

Quote:
Why would I believe the vetting process would be any different this time.
Does not matter, they already own the loans.

Quote:
Imagine this. 100 percent. Now imagine 125 percent. Which is another 1/4th. Which means a 30 year loan becomes a 37.5 year loan.
Huh? The loan amount is not increasing, rather its the value of the home that has decreased. Traditionally, they would not be able to refinance because they have negative equity. This is giving people with negative equity the opportunity to refinance into more attractive loans.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:10 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
why are people even trying to hang onto negative equity homes? with the 80/20 loans they are running 100% debt levels on a house that is likely to depreciate further in this economy. they basically own nothing.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
why are people even trying to hang onto negative equity homes? with the 80/20 loans they are running 100% debt levels on a house that is likely to depreciate further in this economy. they basically own nothing.
Because they want to own their homes and not be renters for the next 7-10 years. Because it is their home and not an investment property.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:24 PM

985 posts, read 2,601,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

Well, a lot of people like their homes. Like my mom, she loves her home, even if it was only worth 1 cent I'd bet you anything that she'd still love it just as much. A home is not merely an investment, to some people it's well.... home. Also, the market will correct itself eventually (though it may be a long time) and home prices will go back up at least somewhat. Would it not make more sense to wait it out and hang on to it?

Old 06-21-2009, 03:30 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
WAlso, the market will correct itself eventually (though it may be a long time) and home prices will go back up at least somewhat. Would it not make more sense to wait it out and hang on to it?
I think this would depend on your local market. In the bubble markets, like most of California, Las Vegas, Miami, etc if you purchased during the peak you're unlikely to see that price again for decades.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I think this would depend on your local market. In the bubble markets, like most of California, Las Vegas, Miami, etc if you purchased during the peak you're unlikely to see that price again for decades.
True. That is why the program would only go up to 125% not 200 or 300%.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:38 PM

985 posts, read 2,601,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes, very true. I should have clarified, I wasn't thinking about people that purchased at the peak. I was thinking of all those other people (like Suzie02) who weren't dumb enough to purchase at the peak or out of their price range yet still saw a huge depreciation in their home values.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:51 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
most of the people in trouble are the people who purchased at the peak. some people tried to use their homes as an ATM machine and those days are going to be over. as well, some people seem to think that their homes are going to be a cash cow for their retirement. if people are just looking to stay in their homes because they want to live in them then it might make sense to do the refinance because a home is about more than just money.

people who are refinancing because they think they are going to see a lot of appreciation in the future may be surprised however.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:33 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Well if I refi to save $100-$150 per month and then I have to pay $200 in PMI what is the point of refi. When I bought my house I put 20% down so I didn't have to pay PMI?. I do not plan to start now.

News flash for you, a lot of people do not pay PMI now. Remember those 80/20 mortgages. 0% down and no PMI.

I've noticed that you only pick at certain parts of my posts. I guess you have no argument for the other parts.

I have no argument at all. I have observations. I'm sorry if you are angry that you can't get a new loan without PMI.

News flash for you, you're stating the obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics