Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times

Advertisements

Reading the life and times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson. early in the book he reminisces about how it was in the 50's

Quote:
By 1951 almost 90% of American Families had Refrigerators and nearly three quarters had washing machines,telephones,vacuum cleaners and gas or electric stoves things that the rest of the world could only fantasize about.
America owned 80 percent of the worlds electrical goods,controlled two-thirds of the worlds productive capacity,produced 40 percent of the worlds electricity,60 percent of its oil and 66 percent of its steel.
The 5 percent of people on Earth who were Americans had more wealth than the other 95 percent combined.
Remarkably,almost all this wealth was American made!
Of the 7.5 million new cars sold in America in 1954 99.93 percent were made in America by Americans, we became the richest country in the world without needing the rest of the world,
It goes on but you get the idea.
We were in the promised land and for some reason we let it get away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 02:50 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Here is your answer:

The Final Stage in the Deindustrialization of America | The Economic Populist

Old 01-30-2011, 03:14 AM

Excellent link LVD, pretty well sums up what happened to our promised land.
So to edit my previous post we didnt let it slip away,we got sold out with a bottom line logic of
. "the work could be done cheaper overseas"

Old 01-30-2011, 04:26 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,705 times
I was born in 1947. I remember growing up everything the family bought was proudly stamped "Made in in the USA."
These days you can't hardly find anything with that stamp on it.
It might be made by a Company headquartered in America but the product was manufactured in a foreign country with cheap labor.
Yep, our leaders and big business did the thinking and the workers in other countries did the sweating.
Now we are sweating with worry because there are no jobs and the foreign countries are thinking about controlling the US.
Whoops, I said that wrong. They already control our lifestyle because we have lost a lot of good paying manufacturing jobs that allow the hourly laborer to acheive the American dream.
And it is going to get worse, imo.
U.S. politicians and big business leaders have sold out a great country to cheap labor because of greed and no thought to the end result of what is good for the American economy.
If it isn't made here some American worker has lost a job. Multiply this by thousands of lost jobs and you get where we are today.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:46 AM

As an example the Swedish appliance giant Electrolux announced it is shutting down its plant here in Montreal,1300 workers will lose their jobs, Electrolux says its moving operations but wont say where Let me guess.
Last year a local company that makes footwear called Crocs closed its doors and relocated to China, 650 people are now looking for employment in Quebec city..
Multiply these two instances by thousands and its not hard to figure how we are losing the game..

Old 01-30-2011, 05:05 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,503 times
Ah,the good old days when things were Made in America and stamped with pride .Which will most likely never be seen again except in a history book.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:31 AM

106,722 posts, read 108,913,061 times
you mean like my american cars i used to buy? i started driving in the early 70's. whenever i bought a new car i already planned the day i would take off to go back to the dealer to have all the problems fixed,even before i took delivery. i dont even want to think about what goods would cost today with the rises in commodities without cheap labor holding down the fort. im not talking low end cheap goods either. im talking world class products that are the best of breed.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-30-2011 at 05:46 AM..

Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 AM

9,370 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

It goes on but you get the idea.
We were in the promised land and for some reason we let it get away.
The world's first agricultural community could have boasted in an analogous way about barley, grapes, olives, cows, chickens, brick ovens, bronze tools and weapons, and so on. So what?

Then agriculture spread to other communities, the process took, oh, some ten thousand years, composing, crystallizing, decomposing, recomposing and recrystallizing into almost every form of social organization imaginable, from subsistence farming villages to sprawling empires. So what?

US society was among the first to industrialize, and because it had its first industrial war in its early stages, and a decisive one at that, and it was the main victor in the second wave of industrial wars that swept over Europe and Japan in the ensuing decades, it was pre-eminent in the 1950s-1960s and into the 1990s. So what?

It has taken some two hundred years now for industrialization to spread to most of the rest of the world, utterly predictable. So what?

For millennia throughout history, western Europe and the British isles were a marginal fringe on the extreme western edge of the Euro-Asian landmass, while more important economic, political and cultural events were taking place elsewhere, and North America was an obscure continent between the two great oceans surrounding the Euro-Asian landmass.

Not that history repeats, but there may be a time, and that time may be coming relatively soon (50-100 years?) when North America and western Europe are just not that important anymore.

The "golden age" of the industrial middle class in North America and Europe lasted what, about 50 years?

Hardly a footnote in the sweep of world history.

Get over yourselves.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:03 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,202,785 times
1 in 10 people not owning a fridge
1/4 with no washing machine or telephone
How many had a televsion?
No home computers
No cell phones
1000 sq foot family home
Much smaller variety of available foods

Sounds like heaven.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Suppose 'mericka just needs to figure out to export our sell-outs, MBAs, profiteers.

We seem to be very much in surplus on them.

We can even put some trademark slogans with them.

A knock-off of The Great Wal (of China) Mart --- We Sell-Out For Less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics