Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 04:05 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times

Advertisements

Given the huge spending taking place with the bailouts and other stimulus activities is it still smart to use a tax-deferred retirement plan like a 401k, 403b, or 457?

It has always been assumed that one would be in a lower tax bracket when they retire and therefore it is better to defer the taxes to a time when one is of retirement age.

I am questioning the wisdom of this advice. There are a number of factors that concern me as to whether or not it is wise to use a tax-deferred retirement savings plan. The are as follows:

1) Many companies have reduced or eliminated their matching contribution making this less of an incentive.

2) Changes in Social Security and the elimination of company-offered pension plans have pushed many people's retirement beyond age 65.

3) Most importantly, the current administration's spending and expansion of government will in all likelihood increase the marginal tax rates, especially for those earners who put aside large sums of money to be withdrawn in the future.

In my opinion, it is conceivable that the current upper tax rates could be lower than future tax brackets on lower income levels at the time one is ready to retire.

If this is the case it would seem that the Roth is the only way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
So let me understand your concern -- since the likelihood of future tax increases is high in your opinion you will invest only current after tax dollars.

Does not seem to fully address all the needs that one will have...

Old 07-01-2009, 09:24 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Never expect anyone else to take care of you when you get older, always contribute to something.

I'm not sure what the future of taxes will be, but you can put more money in the 401(k)/403(b)/457 accounts per year then you can Roth accounts (Traditional IRA and Roth IRA Contribution Limits). So while you will pay less taxes, your growth base is lower...for some categories the limits on the Roth is 3x lower then the other options.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Never expect anyone else to take care of you when you get older, always contribute to something.

I'm not sure what the future of taxes will be, but you can put more money in the 401(k)/403(b)/457 accounts per year then you can Roth accounts (Traditional IRA and Roth IRA Contribution Limits). So while you will pay less taxes, your growth base is lower...for some categories the limits on the Roth is 3x lower then the other options.

The law makers may be bad, but they are not all crazy. Believe me if you ONLY considered taxes there is NO WAY you could ever grow your savings/ income/ investments. Need to take advantage of EVERY opportunity to increase your wealth while working to make the smartest current and long term moves that factor in MORE than just taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics