Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't think the majority of Americans understand that yet. The MSM and government are cheering for a "recovery"; a "V" shape at that even !
Well...YES!!!
I think a LOT of people are thinking we just need to get through this rough patch and we will be back to the good old days when we could buy and spend prettymuch as much as we wanted...

Quote:
I also think we are in a depression. If that were publically and officially declared then I think Americans would wake up.
Sadly,I don't think much will wake up Americans...we have become an incredibly apathetic people.

Quote:
For now though, most seem to see it as past recessions and are just waiting til it's over so they can go back to doing what they did before.
That does appear to be the idea...as soon as it gets better we will all be okay again, nevermind our 'prosperity' of the past decade or so was based upon spending money we did not have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 11:48 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
No, it's not an oxymoron at all. A lot of the people who have left their jobs are going to start their own businesses or become partners in businesses or make due with a variety of part-time work in the meantime. None of this gets included in the employment stats as "new jobs," but it's still indicative of recovery. New jobs is always the last indicator to improve in a recovery.

Talk about "jobs" is pretty silly actually, for unless a "job" is tied to productivity and cash flow for a company, it's not a "job" but someone subsidizing someone else's existence. Subsidies are not what we need!!!

I suppose milking welfare and standing on a street corner with a sign can be considered "entrepreneurial". Those are the only new "businesses" I can see being opened up in my city.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:56 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
I'd love to start a business or be my own boss. But there is much startup capital with a business
I'd love to finish school and not stress about finding work, but that's not going to happen...

Old 07-31-2009, 01:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Default The New Joblessness

"The U.S. economy is not only shedding jobs at a record rate; it is shedding more jobs than it is supposed to. It’s bad enough that the unemployment rate has doubled in only a year and a half and one out of six construction workers is out of work. What truly troubles President Obama’s economic advisers is that, even adjusting for the recession, the contraction in employment seems way too high. As one administration official said, “This has been a very steep job loss.” One proof, he added, is that the country is deviating from the standard (among economists) jobs predictor known as Okun’s Law.

In the 1960s, Arthur Okun, a prominent economist, claimed to have discovered a mathematical relationship between the decline in output (that is, goods and services produced) and the rise in unemployment. It held up pretty well until recently. But this time around, although the decline in output would have predicted a rise in unemployment to 8 percent, the actual jobless rate has soared to 9.5 percent. So this recession is killing off jobs even faster than the things — like automobiles, houses, computers and newspapers — that jobholders produce."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/ma...2&ref=magazine

Old 07-31-2009, 01:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Something we have today we didn't back in the 60's...offshoring.

My office mate got laid off but his job didn't go away. A person in India is now doing it.
So the output did not decline.

Cars and food and goods are still being made (input) but not in America.

All those applications for H1B's even during this downturn should have raised a little red flag to all those government "economic" advisors.

The "global" workplace is biting off the hand that fed it.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,024 times
Default The jobless recovery is an oxymoron like Jumbo Shrimp

[FONT=Verdana]The jobless recovery is an oxymoron like Jumbo Shrimp[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Jobless recovery means the company will do layoffs to make their profits look good. They divide up the work to other employees. Or they offshore.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]GM has closed plants in the USA but is opening them up in China and will smuggle them back into the USA. Big profits for GM the Stimulus was to save the banks not the taxpayer. Oh interest rates are going up I just got a warning from my bank friend.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]American's have increased savings. That's because they lost their homes and are renting because the banks will not lend them money.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]China[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] has cheap labor, a company can't beat that. China owns the USA as they buy our DEBT. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]The people must take back our power. Start the economic revolution.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Buy only American. Made in America. If the label says " made in China don't buy. If you call and get someone overseas demand to speak with an American employee.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Bring the jobs back to America so we can be prosperous again, when we got rid of all our foreign DEBT then we can offshore again.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Bring our jobs back home[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]BUY AMERICAN!!!!![/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics