Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:06 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,201,470 times

Advertisements

Up here in MI they mow grass in spring /summer and then put away the lawn car equipment around November and attach a snow plow to the truck.....they're making a killing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 11:43 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,943,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
Suppose you had 50K to start a business and given the US troubled economic times....

What business would you start and why?
1. Location?
2. Target Market?
3. Industry?
4. What makes it stand out from the crowd?
5. .......etc

It's too bad you're not getting many serious replies to your post. I've been toying with the idea of opening my own business because I am tired of being a corporate slave. I probably have about $50K of cash I could get my hands on easily but I am thinking it would take more than $50K to do what I want.

My dream business is a spice shop. There is one in Chicago called The Spice House and it is a really awesome place! They make a lot of special blends and they sell to high end restaurants besides having the store front. They also do a good bit of mail order business.

I think though that I would like to start by buying an existing business. A start-up is too risky for me and I would need immediate cash flow. I'm looking at those pack and ship mail centers. There are actually a couple for sale in my area right now. Obviously I would need to borrow a pretty good chunk of change to make that happen. I'm currently in the process of researching what it would take to do that.

Oh and to answer your questions in regards to the spice shop:

1) I have a storefront in mind that is close to an organic type food market in South Austin
2) Target Market is all foodies and restaurant owners
3) Industry - Food and Retail
4) What makes it stand out - I don't think there is anything like it in Austin.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,238,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Up here in MI they mow grass in spring /summer and then put away the lawn car equipment around November and attach a snow plow to the truck.....they're making a killing.
What's left to plow? the ghettro?

Old 08-30-2009, 12:33 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,370,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
Suppose you had 50K to start a business and given the US troubled economic times....

What business would you start and why?
1. Location?
2. Target Market?
3. Industry?
4. What makes it stand out from the crowd?
5. .......etc

A textiles industry based in South America. Target market, of course, will be small businesses with uniforms, schools, etc. Would be the textiles industry. It won't stand out unless you make it so, but in one of the world's fastest growing economic zones, it shouldn't be too hard to expand.

The "etc" factor is tough since you will need to probably sustain marginal income / losses for a few years, but then will recover. You will also need to stay on top of it and stay in tune with the culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics