Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 08:35 PM

196 posts, read 1,037,875 times

Advertisements

When you see a resume from a college graduate, what do you look for to assume that it was a good college? I'm worried about getting a degree from a local college and then moving away to an area where no one has heard of the college. I will soon have my associates from a junior college but I'm currently looking at my options for a bachelors. I'm not close enough to a state college but have several private school options. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 05:29 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
It depends on what field you are going into. Tell us what your major is and what you plan to do with it. Some companies care about what school you went to and others do not.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:28 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times
I look at accreditation of the school and the program (if applicable). I also have a strong bias against for-profit and online school (Strayer, U or Phoenix, ECPI, etc). In my experience they will give a degree to anyone that pays them enough. I've seen some great people come out of Strayer and U of P, and I've seen some who didn't have a clue, so in those cases, I would look strongly at past experience and references.

My field is research based, so I want to see the person comes from a tier 1 research institution, but that really only applies to my current field. In my previous field, that didn't apply nearly as much (but I didn't have input in hiring then either)

Old 04-28-2007, 09:24 PM

196 posts, read 1,037,875 times
My associates will be in an applied science, computer networking. A lot of colleges allow my to transfer many of those classes. The choices I have for a bachelors are Robert Morris College, Franklin University (which has a partnership of some sort with my community college), Midstate, or Bradley. All but Franklin are physically in Peoria IL. Franklin though allows me to take many of the classes at my community college and online. Any of those I should not attend? I know Bradley is a good one, although expensive.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:25 AM

2 posts, read 9,056 times
rubytue,

I have taken classes at Strayer in the past. They're just a school. Not any easier than the University of South Carolina that I have also attended. No, you can't get a degree from them if you pay them enough, nor are they a diploma mill.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:06 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhittak View Post
My associates will be in an applied science, computer networking. A lot of colleges allow my to transfer many of those classes. The choices I have for a bachelors are Robert Morris College, Franklin University (which has a partnership of some sort with my community college), Midstate, or Bradley. All but Franklin are physically in Peoria IL. Franklin though allows me to take many of the classes at my community college and online. Any of those I should not attend? I know Bradley is a good one, although expensive.
Rapture hit the mark. It has a lot to do with the type of job; as well as if you are going to continue your education.

You mentioned computer networking, as an IT manager (network/security), experience/subject knowledge will usually weigh more than which school you went to. To be honest, most of my hires didn't even major in the computer field (and neither did I).

Take this however you want - but while your college education does affect your future career... you should still look at the education itself. By that I mean don't go to a school simply because its better known. Go to the school that you think will give you the better education, or fit.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:16 PM

74 posts, read 619,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityman123 View Post
rubytue,

I have taken classes at Strayer in the past. They're just a school. Not any easier than the University of South Carolina that I have also attended. No, you can't get a degree from them if you pay them enough, nor are they a diploma mill.
STRAYER like many of the other for-profit "colleges" are nothing more than diploma mills.

if not, what is their average SAT score for freshmen? How come its not NATIONAL accredited?

I HATE SCHOOLS LIKE STRAYER / KEISER / PHEONIX, ETC THAT THINK THEY ARE ON THE SAME LEVELS OF NATIONALLY RANKED AND ACCREDIATED SCHOOLS.

What decent student would pick a for profit school over their state universities or nationally ranked colleges.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:37 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxMover View Post
STRAYER like many of the other for-profit "colleges" are nothing more than diploma mills.

if not, what is their average SAT score for freshmen? How come its not NATIONAL accredited?

I HATE SCHOOLS LIKE STRAYER / KEISER / PHEONIX, ETC THAT THINK THEY ARE ON THE SAME LEVELS OF NATIONALLY RANKED AND ACCREDIATED SCHOOLS.

What decent student would pick a for profit school over their state universities or nationally ranked colleges.
The gold standard in US eduction is not national accreditation but regional accreditation. In many cases, schools that have a national accreditation but not regional are viewed as a step down.

As someone with an MBA from a tier 1 school, I get annoyed by "fast food" colleges that crank out degrees like UoP.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:52 PM

29 posts, read 67,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxMover View Post

A "National" accredidation is for more industry specific Caricullum. A "Regional" accredidation is more commonly recognized due to the broader scope of degree it can offer. Some online schools, like South University, have the same carriculum and acceptance policies for the online division as they do for the ground campuses. Generalizing universities, online or otherwise, is a mistake. They are all different.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,691 times
Smile Bradley is a very good Option. But a good fit is most important

As an alum from Bradley University in Peoria, I heartily recommend it! I was graduated in 1983 with a BS degree in Computer Science. I get the newsletters from the Computer Science Department. A recent issue described a large variety of research projects being done by faculty and student teams. The great thing about Bradley's Computer Science Department is that those teams include grad students like every other university, but at Bradely there were undergraduate students on every project, too.
Bottom line: At Bradley you will get a great education and jump into some practical experience. They have a fine career department to get you networked to a job that is right for you after graduation.
Contact them by email & telephone. If you want to work hard to find success, they will help you get the financing you need. Go ahead. Call them! [url=http://admissions.bradley.edu/transfer/]Bradley University: Admissions - Transfer Students[/url]

Also check out [url=http://www.fastweb.com]FastWeb: Scholarships, Financial Aid and Colleges[/url] for lists of scholarships.

Go! Make your life happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics