Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:49 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times

Advertisements

I'd be curious, what do you expect that GAO would find if they audited the fed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 10:04 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,928,226 times
i think they will find that there are some criminals on wall street who need to be prosecuted.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
All that toxic debt the Fed bought outright would be uncovered. We don't even know what they bought and for how much and what it's worth today.

We'd also get to see all the details for all those Maiden Lane LLC's the Fed created to deal with Bear, Lehman, et al.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:57 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,011,781 times
I have no idea exactly what would be uncovered, but I feel all but certain that it wouldn't be pretty.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:32 PM

76 posts, read 236,057 times
A bunch of shredded paper and erased drives

Old 08-21-2009, 12:49 PM

975 posts, read 1,756,476 times
They'd find that the FED has accepted a lot of non performing junk. Given we already know that it wouldn't be any great revelation nor would it change anything. This issue is a big yawner.

Funny, the same people who complain about gov't waste line up for stupid crap like this. And nobody is going to jail either. Thats just beyond nuts and quite frankly if stupidity was a crime the people posting such non sense would be in jail themselves.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:15 PM

if it is such a big "yawner" then you should have no problem with the audit.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:19 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,325,370 times
Quote:
i think they will find that there are some criminals on wall street who need to be prosecuted.
Wall Street? Those guys are amatuers compared to the government when it comes to corruption and cover up. Washington should be the first audit, THEN Wall Street. But I see that Washington has been VERY successful in making people THINK that the corruption begins and ends on Wall Street.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:29 PM

here is why this cannot go on:
we have this "crisis" but due to the lack of will in Congress, regulators and The Fed they fail to force the bad assets out into the open where they are marked to the market and the people who have those bad assets go under. Doing so would result in a lot of bank bankruptcies. This is thought of as "bad", but in fact it is only bad for the banks that have lied - the good banks (and there are some) and credit unions would win huge from such an event, as they'd not only get your deposits but also your loan business.

Nonetheless most if not all of the "big banks" are the ones who have Congress in their pocket and they're on the bad list.

So, in response to this, fees and interest rates have gone to the moon. I run no balance on my plastic and have a near-perfect FICO (being "dinged" only because I don't carry balances), charging and paying off every month, generating a very nice "discount" income for any card issuer that gives me credit. Nonetheless I have seen interest rates repriced "for market reasons" up to 13, 14 and in one case to 17.9%.

In addition the interest rate available on a 1 year CD has gone down from 5% to 1%.

What this does to the "spread" and thus private consumer activity is tremendous. Revolving credit is instantly repriced on the outstanding balance at the new interest rate, as are the CDs when they roll over, typically after a year.

For the "typical Grandmother" who was making 5% on her CD and paying 9.9% on her plastic, the spread was 4.9%. That is, 4.9% was the "real cost of credit" to her annualized.

Reasonable.

Now the credit card is 18.9% and her CD earns 1%. The spread is now 17.9%, or nearly 18%, an increase of 12.8%.

For the "subprime" borrower it is awful as well. He has no savings, so the CD rate means nothing. But his credit card went from 20% to 36% due to missing one payment. He's seen a spread increase of sixteen percent.

Why does this matter?

It matters tremendously!

Remember, from the above there is $2.5 trillion outstanding in consumer credit. An increase of just ten percent in the spread cost for money means that $250 billion dollars each and every year does not get spent on consumption (and employment of those who make what was consumed), it instead goes to the banks to paper over their fraudulently-marked paper!

for the entire interesting article:
The Market Ticker

Old 08-21-2009, 07:02 PM

975 posts, read 1,756,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
if it is such a big "yawner" then you should have no problem with the audit.
I couldn't care less one way or the other about the audit. I just don't think it will change anything so it's kinda of pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics