Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:32 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
What's the big deal? It's easier for a customer to remember that they spoke to 'Steve' instead of 'Sukumar' if they need to refer to the call.

no one from timbuktu overseas should be calling the US trying huckster something and get someone's personal info first off, but secondly, why lie about your name? You lose all credibility (if there was any) from word one.

Last edited by sundrop; 08-26-2009 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:19 PM

487 posts, read 1,364,126 times
it's truely disgusting

Old 08-26-2009, 08:44 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I have recently been getting calls late in the evening from Indian telemarketers with thick accents, introducing themselves with American names like Charlie, Paul, and last night, Kelly! They are offering credit repair services. I have decent credit, no mortgagte, and my Tahoe is totally paid off. I find this so amusing that I look foward to their calls now.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Tell them you want to talk to Amitabh Bachchan.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Oh just do the needful and ask what's on sale at the Qwicky-Mart.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:41 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,648 times
Please watch the movie "Outsourced". Watch it instant on Netflix or pick it up somehow in town.

I laughed so hard, thank goodness I wasn't drinking during that movie.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:54 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
I always ask them for their real names, then I get them to go off on a tangent and tell me what it means, if they're named after someone, etc. Then I say wow, thanks for chatting, have a great night and hang up.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
However, changing their names has not covered up the easily identifiable accents, and the communication barrier remains between customer and agent.
I had one call recently named, "Russell". It was SOOOO evident that was not his name. It was rather comical. Have a friend w/ that name and could not wait to tell him. This caller though must have only been halfway thru his English training. I think I even responded back, "no thanks Rashid".

Old 08-27-2009, 08:22 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
This phenomenon exists in many other countries. In France for instance, telemarketers are from Morocco or Tunisia, and give French names, for the same reasons Indian people give American names...

Old 08-28-2009, 11:27 AM

347 posts, read 1,357,704 times
I agree that most of these names are not their real names.
But also bear in mind that there are Christians in India who may/may not speak English but their real names are John, Thomas, George, David, Susan, Annie, etc.
I met a lot of them when I worked there.

Also, why do these telemarketers get the blame just for doing their job?
It isnt their bright idea to change their names and accents based on the customers they contact.
And it certainly can not be their idea to outsource, so please lets give them a break and blame the company instead!!

Old 08-28-2009, 12:46 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevil View Post

Also, why do these telemarketers get the blame just for doing their job?
It isnt their bright idea to change their names and accents based on the customers they contact.
And it certainly can not be their idea to outsource, so please lets give them a break and blame the company instead!!
I agree with you DDevil, I believe its probably very dehumanizing to hide their ethnicity for employment. I have never once blamed the Indian (or other foreign based) worker. They are just trying to make a living, and took the job offered.

I always blame the company. Even with illegal immigrants, I dont really blame the immigrant, so much as the company hiring them. As long as we continue to target the immigrant, and only slap the hands of the companies theyre coming here to work at, there will be no end to it. People need to make a living, and in most cases, they will break laws or travel long distances to do so.

Thats why I dont get why people get so hostile towards the worker. I express my complete anger at the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics