Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:10 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,161 times

Advertisements

I have read it on a Spanish newspaper, I can post the link if you want. Apparently, the World Cup in SOuth Africa is looking awful, with stadia needing restoration and even construction, and the event is only 9 months ahead.

FIFA is becoming more and more nervous, not only at the abismal lack of infrastructures but also due to SA poverty and skyrocketing crime. FIFA has contacted the USA soccer Federation bout the possibility of hosting a World Cup 16 years after the first on American soil, that set attendance records unmatched until today.

How do you think this can be for the American economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
An event of this size can only be good for the US economy especially as the US already has the infrastructure in place (stadia, hotels, transport, etc.). After all, the World Cup is as big - if not bigger - as the olympics in terms of world wide popularity.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:16 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I have read it on a Spanish newspaper, I can post the link if you want. Apparently, the World Cup in SOuth Africa is looking awful, with stadia needing restoration and even construction, and the event is only 9 months ahead.

FIFA is becoming more and more nervous, not only at the abismal lack of infrastructures but also due to SA poverty and skyrocketing crime. FIFA has contacted the USA soccer Federation bout the possibility of hosting a World Cup 16 years after the first on American soil, that set attendance records unmatched until today.

How do you think this can be for the American economy?
I also believe it can be good for the economy. I do not think it would hage a huge impact at the national level to the point it will take us out of recession but it will help the local economies where the games would be played. I hope we host another one. My goal is to be able to attend a final game some day. I attended World Cup games here in the US and in Korea, lots of fun.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 09-04-2009, 09:08 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,920 times
It would be VERY beneficial for the local economy.

The Americans would never win the tournament though

Would be interesting to see how much revenue it generated for Japan and Germany. Die-hard footie fans will go ANYWHERE to see their national team play and actually, flying to the US would be pretty reasonable in terms of cost for many European fans.

If America was able to host it, I think it would definitely give the local economy a much needed boost - even though it would not have a significant impact on the greater economic woes we are facing.

Last edited by London Girl; 09-04-2009 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Ain't going to be no super bowl;no matter what.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:49 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well no, obviously.

But with the number of matches held in the host country and the fact that it's a sport that has far more fans around the world than American Football has, it would be a huge boost to the place that hosted it.

Economics of the FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From above link:

Quote:
The 1994 World Cup in the United States was hosted in a number of different cities. In Los Angeles, site of the final, there was a total economic profit of 623 million dollars that went directly into the metropolitan economy. To help one better understand this figure, in comparison of that same year the Super Bowl only accounted for 182 million dollars (Nodell). These figures were calculated over just a one month period in which these games took place. Just in California, reports from the Pasadena Convention and Visitor’s Bureau conclude that 1,700 part time jobs became available during the preparation and duration of the event (Deady). New York, San Francisco, and Boston received combined revenue of one billion and forty-five million dollars.[2] The overall increase on hotels and food and beverages was ten and fifteen percent from the previous year.[3] This money spent on hotels and restaurants helps the entire U.S. economy in that many of these hotels and restaurants are chains and corporations. Hence, the money made is spread throughout the corporation and it was found to be used for the opening of new facilities and expansions of the corporation.
In addition to the direct impacts of the 1994 World Cup, there are many indirect impacts as well. In order to host the Cup the USA had to develop a national soccer league. This necessity quickly led to the formation of the MLS or Major League Soccer in 1996. This created an ongoing economic factor for the United States. This opened doors for new facilities to be built, sponsorship of new teams, and the revenue of the ticket sales. The indirect impacts didn’t stop there either; the newly introduced professional league in the US endgendered one of the fastest growing youth sports in the country. Youth soccer took off and the selling of apparel and gear for the sport was a target for private businesses to focus on selling
Would be great if it was hosted here!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:08 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Best host it in California, Arizona and Texas, places where there is a large populations of Immigrants from Latin America, The Average American (me) could care less about soccer.....Beside next weekend the NFL season starts (GO Raiders)

Old 09-08-2009, 07:11 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
We'll take it, we need the money, lol!

Old 09-09-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Best host it in California, Arizona and Texas, places where there is a large populations of Immigrants from Latin America, The Average American (me) could care less about soccer.....Beside next weekend the NFL season starts (GO Raiders)
I do think the average American does care about the game. It is gaining popularity. The expression Soccer Mom does exist because across the nation there is a growing number of soccer little leagues. I am not sure if you have attended any World Cup games. I attended one in Washington DC and it was a big event. It is not only in CA, AZ, or TX where these events happen. In the east there is a lot of support for the game and events.

It is interesting because here in El Paso the UTEP women's soccer team is mostly composed of anglo ladies from across the nation and Canada despite the fact the city is at least 70% hispanic.

I love American football also and I do not think soccer may every surpass it but soccer is increasing in interest acrsoss the nation. Across the nation ther are many football fields that have converted the goal posts to accomodate football and soccer games.

By the way who is the average American? You? What is your criteria to classify someone average American?

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 09-09-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
In what sense? If you mean American audience I will agree with that. However, in total world audience the Super Bowl comes no where near the World Cup final game. Actually, even some eliminations games most likely surpass Super Bowl audience too.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Last edited by elamigo; 09-09-2009 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics