Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 04:18 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Oil is about the only PRACTICAL way to make gasoline.
Innovation changes everything and without a crystal ball there is no way to predict this sort of thing. Its not like there is another alternative that is market ready and viable.

All the infrastructure already exists for gasoline, I would not role out its existence as the primary energy source for automobiles well into the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 04:29 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Innovation changes everything and without a crystal ball there is no way to predict this sort of thing. Its not like there is another alternative that is market ready and viable.

All the infrastructure already exists for gasoline, I would not role out its existence as the primary energy source for automobiles well into the future.
Agree that I do not have a crystal ball, either -- it is just I really (really, really) work this field. Just turning oil to gasoline is tremendously energy intensive in itself, and transforming other things -- whether Tar Sands, Coal, Shale, Algae or Alfalfa -- into gasoline is even more so.

Somewhere along the line you have to sit down and look at the object of the exercise, and figure out that it is much more efficient and effective to use the energy to create the transportation directly and leave the gasoline portion or step behind.

Here is a sample -- from Outside the US, of course -- Korea Roadway Recharges Cars - Technology News Briefs | Newser

The life of oil equipment infrastructure including -- or maybe especially -- refineries is surprisingly short. And mindboggling expensive. We generally have outages planned for major rebuilds at every break.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:34 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
What a bunch of drivel, honestly. Not only does the article totally ignore the potential for innovation in this country (there is a huge precedent, by the way), it also ignores a basic fact of the internal combustion engine as it exists today. Read here for more (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/atv.shtml - broken link).

Old 09-20-2009, 05:48 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
What a bunch of drivel, honestly. Not only does the article totally ignore the potential for innovation in this country (there is a huge precedent, by the way), it also ignores a basic fact of the internal combustion engine as it exists today. Read here for more (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/atv.shtml - broken link).
bad linky.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
bad linky.
Well, apparently the idiot censors in charge don't like the abbreviation F.E.G. Remove the periods and insert after the .gov/ and it should work.

Here it is. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/atv.shtml (broken link)

Old 09-20-2009, 06:00 PM

Here's the main point of the link: the energy lost by most engines is incredible and leaves a lot of opportunity for efficiency innovation.

Click on the image below for larger picture.

You have bought your LAST car.-energy.gif

Old 09-20-2009, 06:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Here's the main point of the link: the energy lost by most engines is incredible and leaves a lot of opportunity for efficiency innovation.

Click on the image below for larger picture.

Attachment 49413
It's well known ,and seldom denied, that the IC engine is old tech. That said, what sort of engine did you have in mind to replace it with?? Where is all this American Ingenuity that you claim will save the day? All of the stuff that is supposed to be "new" tech is just a re-hash of old tech one way or the other.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:42 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Another "apocalyptic" type that will undoubtedly prove WRONG -- as the links from others suggest, higher efficiency internal combustion engines AND personal transportation that look pretty much like what we have today WILL BE the major mode of transportation GROWTH for a LOOOONG time.

Eventually LPG will probably be the choice of large numbers of internal combustion engines and once the infrastructure for highly pressure gases become common place the benefits of driving vehicles with hydrogen will dominate. These are multi-decade long processes and in the mean time TREMENDOUS numbers of cars WILL BE SOLD.

For every skillless sad sack that falls down a few rungs on the ladder of consumers DOZENS more will, be hardwork and smarts, climb UP to buy cars.

Ever hear of Malthus? Basically any one that theorizes on the "scarcity" of ANY resource is falling prey to same errors of logic that have disproved over and over and over for the past 170+ years. The notion that "peak oil" is some kind of WALL that constrains civilization is ridiculous. Just because there may be some truth to constraints on the extraction of oil from low cost providers in the mid-east (and there is much conflicting evidence as to that...) in NO WAY suggest cars will be out of reach of ANYONE. Heck on cost basis alone it may be that we'll be flooded with Nano's from Tata Motors. Those would still be NEW CARS!

Old 09-20-2009, 06:50 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
[color="Blue"]...you can see why Kunstler (and now me too) tell people that most Americans have bought their last car. I don't mean their last "gasoline powered" car, I mean any car.[/i]
I'm a big fan of using my own two feet or a bicycle to get around, but even I think this prediction is a little over the top. Cars will be around for many more years, because our living patterns demand it.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

Mopst of us will be dead before the infrastructure for a alternati8ve exist and even then it will be more expensive because of all the cost.Otherwise we would just do it now with electric but its a problem with everyhting from batteries to cost. I always rememeber that only one form of energy comes close to 1% now and that is wood.Then we have to sork on the tousands of prodcuts that come from crude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics