Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 09:28 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times

Advertisements

I'm involved in a non-profit community theatre. It's a great organization but doesn't really have much of a PR or public outreach program. I've volunteered to head up this effort and could use some help.

I've got pretty good writing and relationship skills and I've been peripherally involved in this in other non-profits but I'd appreciate and resources that you could steer me toward.

Thanks in advance

gg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 12:47 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
Get to be friends with your librarian. There is a wealth of books to help the non-profit, such as Roland Kuniholm's The Complete Book of Model Fund-Railing Letters. This type of information is perishable, so try to use the newest available information. Older books refer to the novelity of computers and such. Tell your library person what you want and be ready for a stack of reading. Good luck with this important endeavor.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:23 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
Thanks ESFP;

I'm already a constant presence at our (very darn good) public library. I'll look for that book.

golfgod

Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 10,931 times
Have you considered hiring an agency? I work for
<a href="http://www.vividascent.com">Vivid Ascent</a>a public relation/marketing, search engine optimization, and web development agency in Chicago. Hiring is an agency is great investment
Best of luck with your worthwhile venture!

Old 01-27-2010, 06:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Golfgod - I will be glad to help you. I really appreciate knowing there are folks willing to step up and work at helping such worthy organizations in our communities. I own a marketing/PR/communications company. Here are some tips:

1. Press releases - Create a short article for each play or event. This can include fund-raising parties, not just plays themselves. Find examples of press releases online. I just promoted an award winning community theatre here in our region of NC- Hickory Community Theatre.

Here is what one media outlet ran, based on the press release. If you look at the format, it will give you a nice template to follow in creating your own press releases. However, you can "flesh it out" more - giving more details about the plays themselves, adding info about the director, perhaps the main actors. Put some quotes into the copy - doesn't have to be anything elaborate. (for ex: John Smith, director of operations, explains the process. "Our dedicated actors have rehearsed three nights weekly, and every weekend, since Christmas," Smith relays.)

Give info on how the theatre is funded at the end of the press release.

WHKY-TV & WHKY TalkRadio - Hickory, North Carolina

2. Get a Twitter account. Learn the format and how to "tweet." However, you must do some preparation! Your message is only going to go to folks who "follow" you on Twitter. That means you will need to spend several months building up who you want to follow you. You do this by seeing who is following other folks and following them. Then, hopefully, they will follow you. So find out if board members for the theatre, or actors, or the director, or managing director have a Twitter account. Get hooked up with them as a follower - then see who they are following and follow them. Before long, you will start building up a whole community out there who will read your tweets - and will pass your info on. It sounds more complicated than it is. It is worth the effort b/c this is the fastest growing way to get "the word out." And other than your time - it's free!

3. If the Theatre has a blog, post the press releases on the blog. Then tweet the URL of the blog so that folks can click on it and read your press release.

If the theatre doesn't have a blog, go to wordpress.com and get a free blog and start writing!!!

4. Get the email addresses of all media in your region and send them all press releases. It would be helpful if you or another volunteer would stop by and ask to meet the person who writes up the arts info. Folks are more apt to promote people or causes they feel a personal connection to.

5. Plan a fund raiser. You can auction something off . . . or just have a big party! Be sure to get someone who takes GOOD photos (emphasis: GOOD) and then create a press release about the success of the event. Send the press releases out to all media, add the info on the blog and tweet!

These are just a few ideas to get you started.

Oh - and here's another one to create community interest . . . if you can get some of the members of the cast to do several minutes of the play - create a little vignette - and present it as a teaser to A. school groups B. church groups C. clubs (service organizations such as Rotary, Lions, etc, book clubs, women's clubs, special interest clubs, ANY group)

6. Radio and TV: find out who to send info to for each station's "arts" or "community calendar" as a Public Service Announcement (PSA).

Google "community theatres" and see what others are doing! Don't try to re-invent the wheel - take what works and just change/improve it!

Feel free to contact me if you have questions. When you don't have money to engage the services of a professional, that doesn't mean you can't get advice from a professional. In addition, if you ask around, you may find that there are graphic artists, photographers and writers in your community who will help you at no charge - if you ask!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Uggghhh . . . I just realized that someone had dug this thread up and posted on it . . . I didn't realize the original post was made in October.

Well . . . hope my info helps someone out there, lol!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I'm involved in a non-profit community theatre. It's a great organization but doesn't really have much of a PR or public outreach program. I've volunteered to head up this effort and could use some help.

I've got pretty good writing and relationship skills and I've been peripherally involved in this in other non-profits but I'd appreciate and resources that you could steer me toward.

Thanks in advance

gg
If you have a nearby university or college with a communications/PR program, you may want to approach the Dept. Head and see if they would be willing to have the students develop a communications plan for your non-profit. It would be a good teaching tool/ resume builder/ senior project for a group of students and you would get some "free" PR work done.

You may want to also check if the schools have student chapters of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) or Int'l Assoc of Business Communicators (IABC) on campus. These organizations may take you on as a project as well.

Either way - make sure your student volunteers have adult supervision from a faculty member!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics