Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:42 PM

975 posts, read 1,755,198 times

Advertisements

This is a great time of year to set goals/plans. Where will you be next year this time? How will you get there? What will you accomplish? Etc.

Quite frankly, given all the doom and gloom talk around here about how bad things are, some might think moving forward isn't possible but that's simply not true unless of course you allow it to be.

Push youself. Set your bar high. There may never be more opportunity in any of our lifetimes than what exists right now. Everything is up for grabs. Everything!

But regardless, life is incredibly short. If you don't have a plan for how your going to get where you want to go life will pass you by. And don't let fear stop you. The only fear anyone should have is that thier life won't turn out the way they want. Just understand that the way your life turns out is because of you, your mindset, your decisions and your actions. Many rich kids end up broke and many poor kids rich. Where you come from means little. Where your going is all because of you.

I also like to look at people I know from time to time for inspiration. This year the winner is easy.

She's a 44 year old women, mother of 3 whose husband just up and bolts one day after 20 years. Fortunately he does pay his court ordered support but it's not enough. But after not working for 16 years and no college education, even though she was scared to death, this women went out in the toughest job market in our lifetime and got a pretty decent fulltime job with full benefits in less than 2 weeks. Since she started 4 months ago she now gotten promoted with a raise to boot.

Now to ramble a bit..haha
All the whinning and complaining that goes on here isn't helping anyone. It's the most obvious form of little person syndrome there is. Meaning that by doing such you expose for all the undeniable truth that you, the person complaining about how screwed up or unfair things are, feels helpless and not in control of your life destination. Don''t be that way. It not only makes you look stupid it robs you of the very power necessary to suceed.

On the other hand, those who post such nonsense actually inspire me so don't everyone stop. lol. See, for me it makes me feel better reading some of this stuff knowing that there's a person whose taken themselves out of the game. One less competitor so to speak.

Have a nice Holiday...even you nutjobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 08:27 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
I plan on:

a) getting a six pack. But first I need to get more muscle mass then shed the extra weight.

b) buy a home. Always a big investment.

c) start a family. Yoikes! Fun to do followed by smelly diapers and noisy money sinks for 21 years. LOL, jk. I'm looking forward to that.

d) Learn Japanese and speak it fluently, or at least well enough to carry some conversation with my wife's parents.

e) By December 2011, finish my master's degree

Old 12-23-2009, 09:42 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
•In 2010 I find my bride. Not that I marry her in 2010, I just find her in 2010. Three and a half year relationship over with, no marriage. Look out ladies, Keller's most eligible bachelor is on the market. Actually by bride I mean best friend and partner.

•Have six weeks of a training program paid for by my company in Sacramento, that should be interesting. Professionally I couldn't be happier with where I'm going. Well, I could -- being a scientist would be awesome, but I'm really enjoying each day of work lately.

•Having bought my first house in 2009, 2010 will be about putting a lot of blood and sweat into making it more of a home. Landscaping, painting, furnishing, and having friends and family over.

•Physically, I'm relatively happy with my level of fitness. I don't have a six-pack as I did in 2004 but I'd bet I'm in better shape than 90% of the guys ten years younger than me. I've been looking to get into Yoga. I think it's an amazing workout and so different from the rampantly kinetic workouts I usually engage in (frisbee or basketball to the point of absolute exhaustion). And no double-dislocated fingers with surgery for 2010.

•I'm getting a pair of these: http://www.essspeakersusa.com/Press1.jpg

•Financially 2009, was a great year for me -- two raises, a decent deal on the house, excellent trading results. I'm going to be a little more conservative in 2010.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I think at the end of 2008 it wasn't looking that great for 2009. The particular field I was in took a beating with the financial crisis.

Fortunately with the help of a friend I took my skills to another subset of the business I was in and got some part time, but well paid work. I quickly gained a good reputation and did really well with that. Since I work as a contractor, it's helped because I've still got my foot in the old biz, but am involved with some great worthwhile work serving a good cause and making a good daily rate.

I still feel like I am building my career and skills and have a way to go. Mostly I knew 2009 would be a hard year. Financially I think I at least treaded water and survived which is good.

Next year should be better. I've been asked to be a key person at one place I am doing work for and should have some other deals going. Hopefully will be able to go overseas again on a trip to get some more experience.

Following your dreams is a rocky road, but I have chosen to stay the course.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
most spend the life getting from A to B. once you hit B you try to stay there as long as possible.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:52 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,979 times
This year has been alright for us. We'll be putting more money away in savings.

My husband plans to work for another year then we'll see about retirement. I leave that up to him.

Sometime we'll want to buy another house, but not yet. We'll have to find and agree on the right city to live in.

We plan on a long vacation toward fall of 2010. Meanwhile we'll take some shorter little vacations.

I'll keep on stocking up on food.

Meanwhile we'll keep our home in good condition. We'll need to replace the carpet soon.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:40 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
There is only one thing to do... and my wife knows what it is... its to make her happy...

Old 12-25-2009, 01:55 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
I have all sorts of things I want to get going business wise in 2010. Additionally I should be able to move from working part-time and doing business to spending all my time on business.

2009 as pretty good, the first quarter was really bad but the 2nd and after were good. I have not crunched all the numbers but it looks like this holiday season surpassed even my high estimate.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:17 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
This is a great time of year to set goals/plans. Where will you be next year this time? How will you get there? What will you accomplish? Etc.

Quite frankly, given all the doom and gloom talk around here about how bad things are, some might think moving forward isn't possible but that's simply not true unless of course you allow it to be.

Push youself. Set your bar high. There may never be more opportunity in any of our lifetimes than what exists right now. Everything is up for grabs. Everything!

But regardless, life is incredibly short. If you don't have a plan for how your going to get where you want to go life will pass you by. And don't let fear stop you. The only fear anyone should have is that thier life won't turn out the way they want. Just understand that the way your life turns out is because of you, your mindset, your decisions and your actions. Many rich kids end up broke and many poor kids rich. Where you come from means little. Where your going is all because of you.

I also like to look at people I know from time to time for inspiration. This year the winner is easy.

She's a 44 year old women, mother of 3 whose husband just up and bolts one day after 20 years. Fortunately he does pay his court ordered support but it's not enough. But after not working for 16 years and no college education, even though she was scared to death, this women went out in the toughest job market in our lifetime and got a pretty decent fulltime job with full benefits in less than 2 weeks. Since she started 4 months ago she now gotten promoted with a raise to boot.

Now to ramble a bit..haha
All the whinning and complaining that goes on here isn't helping anyone. It's the most obvious form of little person syndrome there is. Meaning that by doing such you expose for all the undeniable truth that you, the person complaining about how screwed up or unfair things are, feels helpless and not in control of your life destination. Don''t be that way. It not only makes you look stupid it robs you of the very power necessary to suceed.

On the other hand, those who post such nonsense actually inspire me so don't everyone stop. lol. See, for me it makes me feel better reading some of this stuff knowing that there's a person whose taken themselves out of the game. One less competitor so to speak.

Have a nice Holiday...even you nutjobs
i hope to work myself out of my "trailor park" (sic) in the coming year.

to cheerlead an administration that is stealing generations of wealth is not acceptable to me.

the people who wind up helpless are the people who are unwilling to look ahead. the head in the sand approach has never worked throughout history. it is equally a shame that you see everyone as a "competitor" in a "game". merry christmas to you anyway.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:32 AM

45 posts, read 157,881 times
am going to the philippines to live in a secure gated compound with a bunch of rich guys with boats who scuba.
will have drivers, maids ($30 a month), and big dogs.
will live with 2-3 beautiful pinays and kite surf and scuba every day from my boat.
don't believe in waiting to find out if there really is a heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics