Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:30 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times

Advertisements

i expect the job numbers to temporarily improve with the census hiring. that is about 1.2 million more jobs supplied by the government so it should have a noticeable temporary impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i expect the job numbers to temporarily improve with the census hiring. that is about 1.2 million more jobs supplied by the government so it should have a noticeable temporary impact.
I am sure this administration will jump at the chance to claim victory in this economic crash.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Bob from down south wrote:
As Charles Krauthammer has elequently opined, watch what Obama does, not what he says. The two are worlds apart, and the sheeple still don't get that.
Agreed!

I would however expand Krauthammers statement as follows:
watch what whoever is president does, not what he says, AND watch congress even more closely.
Obama is not the first president to a have a big gap between what he says and what he does, nor is he likely to be the last. This behaviour is nothing new under the sun. For better or worse, you can almost count on whoever is president to not walk-their-talk.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 02-05-2010 at 10:12 AM..

Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I certainly don't want to minimize folks who legitimately fell into hard times in the past couple of years.....but some have used this whole economy problem as an excuse not to work and not to move forward. I have noticed lots of people out there who are whining now are the same people who couldn't get their ducks in a row when the economy was good either.

If more people would just live with a little less, stay on a budget and be willing to take the jobs that ARE available....life will go on.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:41 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I certainly don't want to minimize folks who legitimately fell into hard times in the past couple of years.....but some have used this whole economy problem as an excuse not to work and not to move forward. I have noticed lots of people out there who are whining now are the same people who couldn't get their ducks in a row when the economy was good either.

If more people would just live with a little less, stay on a budget and be willing to take the jobs that ARE available....life will go on.
Would you happen to know what jobs are available?

Old 02-05-2010, 02:28 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Bob from down south wrote:
As Charles Krauthammer has elequently opined, watch what Obama does, not what he says. The two are worlds apart, and the sheeple still don't get that.
Agreed!

I would however expand Krauthammers statement as follows:
watch what whoever is president does, not what he says, AND watch congress even more closely.
Obama is not the first president to a have a big gap between what he says and what he does, nor is he likely to be the last. This behaviour is nothing new under the sun. For better or worse, you can almost count on whoever is president to not walk-their-talk.
i definitely agree that congress is a huge part of the problem. i see that the senate has reached an impasse on a financial reform bill......

we have too many foxes in the henhouse.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:57 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Would you happen to know what jobs are available?
As part of my job I read newspapers from coast to coast. They all have a variety of jobs listed. Until there are no more listing....there are still jobs. There are also jobs posted around town at various business locations.

Most may not be glamorous jobs or pay super....but they are still jobs for people who are willing to work. If I were looking for a job in computers, I would work in a mail room with a great work ethic and go the extra mile. Then when a job DID open up for me in my field, I would have something to say for myself other than I just sat home and hoped to find a job on a online listing.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,287,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i definitely agree that congress is a huge part of the problem. i see that the senate has reached an impasse on a financial reform bill......

we have too many foxes in the henhouse.
No, foxes are really smart.

These are hyenas.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:31 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
As part of my job I read newspapers from coast to coast. They all have a variety of jobs listed. Until there are no more listing....there are still jobs. There are also jobs posted around town at various business locations.

Most may not be glamorous jobs or pay super....but they are still jobs for people who are willing to work. If I were looking for a job in computers, I would work in a mail room with a great work ethic and go the extra mile. Then when a job DID open up for me in my field, I would have something to say for myself other than I just sat home and hoped to find a job on a online listing.
It is very easy to say you would work in a mailroom for a couple of years until a great new opening comes up, when your currently employed or have a supporting spouse and money in the bank.
Now lets assume you have none of that and the pay from your mailroom job is not enought to even pay for a roach infested apartment and have to live in a car or tent, you don't shower regularly, no new clothes, eating cheap fatty foods starts to effect your health and teeth.
Now when it is time for that promotion how do think it will go? you smell funny, your clothes are ragged and out of style, your out sick alot and you have bad teeth. of course your competion is probably a student who is living at home, eating well, showering, mom is buying him/her new clothes for the big interview. Who do you think is going to get the job?
A starter job is not for people without other support, thats why they are called starter jobs.

bill

Old 02-06-2010, 07:37 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Oh, isn't that the truth. What he says is to deceive people and to attract attention away from what he is actually doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics