Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:51 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times

Advertisements

Have any of you seen "Till Debt Do Us Part" on CNBC?

It follows the same formula every week. Every episode features a clueless couple that is overspending ridiculously and has no idea how to manage their money. This woman Gayle steps in and analyzes their spending, tells them how much their debt will be if they keep going, and shows them how to straighten out.

It's a little scary to watch this show. It seems a metaphor for what is happening to our society. We seem to be a bunch of clueless people who are spending ourselves into oblivion, and our government is simply a reflection of that. We have to change to survive.

Last night had a couple with teenagers and the mother kept taking the daughter shopping because she didn't like to say 'no.' The kids refused to do any chores. It makes the families who appear on the show look directionless and headed by children. By extension, much of our society seems that way.

I hope we can straighten ourselves out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 01:25 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,641 times
Our government has been the poster child for a bunch of clueless people spending ourselves into oblivion. Someone needs to remind people that this is financial irresponsibility kicked up a few notches. Our government and too many of its citizens needs one big injection of common sense.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:48 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
I can't get the theme song to that show out of my head....money money money money money money money money...

Old 02-07-2010, 09:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
I love that show! And the woman who hands the errant couple jars of budget money and takes away their credit cards. She's a live wire.

We are always gobsmacked at how ignorant these families are about the extent of their overspending. How can you go month after month and year after year, spending more than you earn and think everything is still ok? What kind of mental fog do these people live in? I don't know how it is possible.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I love that show! And the woman who hands the errant couple jars of budget money and takes away their credit cards. She's a live wire.

We are always gobsmacked at how ignorant these families are about the extent of their overspending. How can you go month after month and year after year, spending more than you earn and think everything is still ok? What kind of mental fog do these people live in? I don't know how it is possible.
Yea I just found out one of my friend's is a DBA (a technical IT position) making at least 70-80K and pays the minimum balance on her credit card. Plus all her credit is maxed out. She's like 'I just saw it said pay the minimum balance, so I just pay the minimum!'

So weird that people have no clue.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:24 AM

947 posts, read 3,139,770 times
I missed this Sat episode but I have watched the show in the past and find it interesting. It is baffling how clueless people are about money. With more of these shows maybe people will start getting a clue.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
I think we should have classes on managing money, debt, loans, budgeting, etc in high school to prepare young people for the world. Also checking accounts and how NOT to handle them. You'd be surprised at how many people do not balance their checkbooks!!! I have a friend who is a banker and she says she hears the same stories every time people come in to complain about NSF's.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:33 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
I had a friend who has been married 5 times. He's still on his 5th marriage now. He told me after his second? third? marriage broke up, "Man, I thought marriage was just about having all the sex you wanted. Dude, there is like, so much more to it than that."

You can't make this kind of stuff up. There are some people in this world who can't just think about next year. There are some who can't think past this weekend. I think there are some who can't think past the next 24 hours.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Have any of you seen "Till Debt Do Us Part" on CNBC?

It follows the same formula every week. Every episode features a clueless couple that is overspending ridiculously and has no idea how to manage their money. This woman Gayle steps in and analyzes their spending, tells them how much their debt will be if they keep going, and shows them how to straighten out.

It's a little scary to watch this show. It seems a metaphor for what is happening to our society. We seem to be a bunch of clueless people who are spending ourselves into oblivion, and our government is simply a reflection of that. We have to change to survive.

Last night had a couple with teenagers and the mother kept taking the daughter shopping because she didn't like to say 'no.' The kids refused to do any chores. It makes the families who appear on the show look directionless and headed by children. By extension, much of our society seems that way.

I hope we can straighten ourselves out.
What does it say about our society when that can be the subject of a successful show in the first place?

Old 02-08-2010, 04:23 PM

513 posts, read 541,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I think we should have classes on managing money, debt, loans, budgeting, etc in high school to prepare young people for the world. Also checking accounts and how NOT to handle them. You'd be surprised at how many people do not balance their checkbooks!!! I have a friend who is a banker and she says she hears the same stories every time people come in to complain about NSF's.

I remember a few years ago when I went back to college to work on an Accounting degree - the subject of NSF's came up one night. Our instructor then asked the class how many of us student balanced our checking accounts every month.

Out of 30 students - only 3 of us did balance our accounts every month. Cripes, this was an Accounting class of all things.... most of the students said if then statement seemed to be "within a few bucks" it was all good.

I know balancing a bank account isn't the most exciting thing in the world but it sure isn't that hard to do, is it??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics