Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:33 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Stocks Jump on Bernanke - WSJ.com

Wonder how good the rest of marksmen's prognostication will be...
let's look at today's news:
On Page 4 of the FDIC's Quarterly banking report for Q4 '08 and Q4 2009.

When you to click over to the report here and down about 3/4's of the way look for the line item "Notional Amount of Derivatives" where you will see Q4 of 2008 was listed as $212-trillion m (just 14.93 times 2008 GDP).

But Q4 2009 shows the notional value of derivatives at what?
$213,568,137,000,000

The bank consolidation continues to: "The number of institutions on the FDIC’s “Problem List” rose to 702 at the end of 2009, from 552 at the end of the third quarter and 252 at the end of 2008. Total assets of “problem” institutions were $402.8 billion at yearend 2009, compared with $345.9 billion at the end of September and $159.0 billion at the end of 2008. Both the number and assets of “problem” institutions are at the highest level since June 30, 1993."

so we have the (previously reported) troubled banks up 27.2%, derivatives are still growing, mass layoffs are back, and new home sales are the lowest recorded.

i think it is better that people stay prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 05:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Here is a man who made his wealth during the Great Depression. He thought the market was unsustainable and sold most of his stock before the crash so he was sitting with cash.
He then used that cash to buy up companies on pennies to the dollar.

Floyd Odlum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When debt is high and money is tight you bet cash is king. Right now in RE cash is king and beats out buyers who need a mortgage. Even at a lower price than those who have to apply for financing cash is king.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Neat story about Floyd Odlum, never heard it before.

Somehow I doubt that such a plan would work today, I mean seriously it is not just that $14M in cash is probably less than the starting line-up of the NY Knicks keeps in their "cribs", it is that given the pervasive negativity that is routinely on display here and other places I think that if a hedge fund tried to say "Our strategy will be to have a massive pile of cash, get advice from Warren Buffet, Peter Lynch and John Bogle, buy up companies on the cheap as things crumble and make a fortune on the way up" the chorus of dunder heads would scream "but you don't understand THIS IS DIFFERENT. things WILL NEVER GO BACK UP, WE'RE AS DOOMED AS DOOMED CAN BE, the Russians & the Chinese & the Malyasian will CRUSH US FOR SURE..." We need GOLD AND BULLETS AND MREs...

Whaddya think?

Last edited by chet everett; 02-24-2010 at 06:54 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 06:52 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post

In all seriousness, I don't subscribe to the fearmongering that Tightwad is known to link to, but I also don't believe that America can borrow and print their way out of every financial disaster caused by boom/bust pseudo wealth.
What some call "fear mongering" is really an awareness of what goes on in the world today. The saying...."keep you friends close but your enemies closer" applies all to well today.

That said, I'd rather be labeled as a "fear monger" since that would mean that I'm not afraid to speak my mind even if some naysayer disagrees with me. Much is done during the silent times of a fearful people. I seek to break that silence.........

Old 02-24-2010, 09:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

Somehow I doubt that such a plan would work today, I mean seriously it is not just that $14M in cash is probably less than the starting line-up of the NY Knicks keeps in their "cribs", it is that given the pervasive negativity that is routinely on display here and other places I think that if a hedge fund tried to say "Our strategy will be to have a massive pile of cash, get advice from Warren Buffet, Peter Lynch and John Bogle, buy up companies on the cheap as things crumble and make a fortune on the way up" the chorus of dunder heads would scream "but you don't understand THIS IS DIFFERENT. things WILL NEVER GO BACK UP, WE'RE AS DOOMED AS DOOMED CAN BE, the Russians & the Chinese & the Malyasian will CRUSH US FOR SURE..." We need GOLD AND BULLETS AND MREs...

Whaddya think?
Not at the level you speak of. But at an individual level, sure it's possible.
Think outside of the box.

There's RE..duplex, triplex - buy dirt cheap and rent out
Small business - do what Floyd did, buy for the assets.

On an individual level I'd stick to local stuff, RE and local small business/mfg in the area. Great place to start.
Also buying some stocks at bottom prices. The ones with a solid balance sheet will be the ones to survive. Think..what industries would survive a crash and depression ? Rail, food, light mfg. Now..what has Warren Buffet been buying up ?

I could care less about the boyz on Wall Street and what they would do with their money.

Staying liquid in the short term won't hurt too much; let's you sleep at night and gives you a big edge if something good comes along to buy.

I did just recently buy some Berkshire Hathaway at the 50-1 split. As long as Buffet is alive I'll hold onto it as investment. Buffet has a good track record considering.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default I can go along with that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not at the level you speak of. But at an individual level, sure it's possible.
Think outside of the box.

There's RE..duplex, triplex - buy dirt cheap and rent out
Small business - do what Floyd did, buy for the assets.

On an individual level I'd stick to local stuff, RE and local small business/mfg in the area. Great place to start.
Also buying some stocks at bottom prices. The ones with a solid balance sheet will be the ones to survive. Think..what industries would survive a crash and depression ? Rail, food, light mfg. Now..what has Warren Buffet been buying up ?

I could care less about the boyz on Wall Street and what they would do with their money.

Staying liquid in the short term won't hurt too much; let's you sleep at night and gives you a big edge if something good comes along to buy.

I did just recently buy some Berkshire Hathaway at the 50-1 split. As long as Buffet is alive I'll hold onto it as investment. Buffet has a good track record considering.
It'll be interesting to see what happens when Warren is gone -- NYSE will probably have to halt trading and there will a taped message from the Fed Chairmen that the Berkshire Hathaway leadership succession plan has secretly been in place for the last several years, the person that looks like WB is just an audioanimatronic from Disney...

Old 02-25-2010, 12:04 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Darn, what am I going to do? I have one of those pesky foam mattress on wood slabs and the money will just fall to the ground!

I know, I can hide it in my econ books. Don't have to worry about many Americans looking there!

Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:

Whaddya think?
i think you are being dramatic.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
known to link to, but I also don't believe that America can borrow and print their way out of every financial disaster caused by boom/bust pseudo wealth.
The only options are printing money or raising taxes. The latter is not going to be popular and will also have devastating consequences on demand, it's been proven many times that raising taxes actually reduces revenues because it destroys business growth and lowers consumer demand (Laffer analysis).

We definitely have interesting times ahead, the government has repeatedly tried to kick the can down the road and called that a solution, you can only do that for so long.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:54 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Cash is worthless paper. Gold is shiny metal for monkeys and racoons. You need FOOD AND BULLETS, didn't you get my super secret emails? FOOD! Dehydrated, canned, vaccuum sealed. MREs and twinkies. And bottle water in those big bladder things the Navy has down in Hati. The make a better matteress than anything stuffed with mioney. Very relaxing. Good for the spine.
Chet, don't forget a can opener. Shooting the tops off food cans makes for a horrible mess!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics