Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 09:22 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have been pondering frequently about my area as it adds more shopping centers.

The first thought I have is will my area get a Macy's and if this certain shopping center would be considered a lifestyle center. There is a certain development in a city nearby called the Dalidio Ranch Marketplace. I am not sure if it would be considered a lifestyle center. There is an 150,000 sq. ft. outlet mall nearby. It has teen apparel stores which include Zumiez, PacSun, Vans, DC Shoes, Aeropostale, Rue 21, and No Fear. The city has 45,000 population with an additional 6,000 in college dorms. The trade area has 150,000 population and the average income in the city is at $75,000. The square footage is at 530,000 sq. ft. and the tenets are:

Lowe's
JCPenneys
Jo-Ann Fabrics
Whole Foods
Larkspur Hotel
Macy's?

Ulta
Tilly's
Pier 1 Imports
Lane Bryant
5 pads for speciality stores

Restaurants:
Johnny Rockets
Carino's Italian
In N Out
Pick Up Stix
Outback Steakhouse
Chili's

The second thoughts in my head is about my city getting Costco. Once my area reaches a trade area of 100,000 population we will be getting a Costco. From there, I wonder will it be in a lifestyle center or a nice power center? How do I determine what type of growth will follow the Costco? Most areas seem to get some more fashion-orientated shopping centers following the development of the Big 6. How does this work? The average income in this area is less than the other city.

We have a Walmart, Target, Kmart, Home Depot, Osh, Lowe's, Trader Joes, JCPenneys, and Kohls. We have a Ross, Fashion Bug, Pier 1 Imports, Payless Shoes, Famous Footwear, and Styles for Less for clothing. We miss out on having a selection of apparel stores. I want to know what will it take for my area to get more apparel stores? I want to know what type of apparel stores my area will get. I am hoping for at least Old Navy and Tilly's, but how do I know we have a chance of getting them?

Thanks for any business advice,

the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 09:33 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
If you've been watching any news of commercial real estate you might have noticed that there is a huge meltdown pulling the underpinnings of most shopping space far under...

The demographics drive the development of retail space, and the demographics are hard to separate from the employment base. If the kinds of jobs that require "apparel stores' are common among residents then retailers will want some of that action.

Costco is more concerned with getting into an area where folks flat out spend enough give them the margins they need on the mix of products that they sell, from tires to salmon to shampo to flat TVs...

Old 03-07-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you've been watching any news of commercial real estate you might have noticed that there is a huge meltdown pulling the underpinnings of most shopping space far under...

The demographics drive the development of retail space, and the demographics are hard to separate from the employment base. If the kinds of jobs that require "apparel stores' are common among residents then retailers will want some of that action.

Costco is more concerned with getting into an area where folks flat out spend enough give them the margins they need on the mix of products that they sell, from tires to salmon to shampo to flat TVs...
I am not understanding the part about employment. Do you mean if there is many teen or young workers for those stores, then there will be more apparel stores?

I have heard about lifestyle centers and department stores being built in them. So how is this possible with the economy? Will department stores expand again when the economy is better?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:16 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Lifestyle center? Is that a fancy real estate development term for a shopping mall without a roof? Who cares? A mall is a mall is a mall. As long as they keep selling the all the same dull mundane stuff, nobody's interested, with or without a roof.

Retail development architects and market analysts cannot create a real town with real street life. It always ends up being Disney-esque mock up without any attachment to the community or any tenants of interest.

Malls are dying all over the US. People are tired of the big box sanitized *lifestyle* experience. Kill this project now before your city ends up with 300 acres of vacant parking lot and faceless empty retail space.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Lifestyle center? Is that a fancy real estate development term for a shopping mall without a roof? Who cares? A mall is a mall is a mall. As long as they keep selling the all the same dull mundane stuff, nobody's interested, with or without a roof.

Retail development architects and market analysts cannot create a real town with real street life. It always ends up being Disney-esque mock up without any attachment to the community or any tenants of interest.

Malls are dying all over the US. People are tired of the big box sanitized *lifestyle* experience. Kill this project now before your city ends up with 300 acres of vacant parking lot and faceless empty retail space.
So lifestyle centers are not doing good? My area is getting a Costco soon, but we still don't have much in the apparel store category. We have JCPenneys, Kohl's, Ross, Fashion Bug, TJ'Maxx, Famous Footwear, Payless, and Styles for Less. I want to see Tilly's for surf and skate clothes, and Old Navy for trendy clothing. I think Dress Barn and Claire's would be good too.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:25 PM

So does anyone else know about Costcos in the middle of no where? Perhaps Costcos in countys that have no malls?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:58 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
If there are enough people with high incomes and lots of disposable income that can spend on the stuff that Costco sells they will build a store. Odds are very good at least some other retailers have noticed the demographics and will build something nearby.

Here is one the lowest population density Costco areas:
2330 US Highway 93 N kalispell MT - Google Maps

Helps that there is big ski area up the road: Whitefish Mountain Resort at Big Mountain in Whitefish, Montana - Winter Season '09-10 (http://www.skiwhitefish.com/calendar_of_events.php - broken link)

Old 04-11-2010, 06:12 PM

Just a guess, but Costcos seem to be built where ever an urban center is. Most Costcos seem to be in centralized communities where a large work force employer is. College towns, large farming towns, or towns with a government facility that draw workers to commute to one community.

Malls seem to have stores that reguire their to be a consumer with the income to shop there. So I see malls in communities that have enough wealthy consumers to shop there like Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Capitola, and Pismo Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics