Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:27 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,724 times

Advertisements

Everybody seems to understand that money talks, bullsh*t walks. There’s a lot of type about how Corporations/Banks own the country by paying for influence (lobbyists, etc…).

What influence does the US citizen pay for? About ½ the population doesn’t pay taxes; another percentage defers taxes, & another percentage gets substantial subsides (education, etc…).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 11:55 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Quote:
About ½ the population doesn’t pay taxes
That's not even close to being true.

I think what you mean to say is that about 45% of people do not end up with a federal income tax liability at the end of the year after other taxes and deductions have been taken.

That says nothing about state taxes, sales taxes, and taxes disguised as "fees."

Old 03-10-2010, 02:51 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
That's not even close to being true.

I think what you mean to say is that about 45% of people do not end up with a federal income tax liability at the end of the year after other taxes and deductions have been taken.

That says nothing about state taxes, sales taxes, and taxes disguised as "fees."
True, there are many taxes that all pay, but too many times the 'net' contribution to society is not calculated.

I know of more than one family where it is true they pay SS, sales, and other taxes... but they also get an earned income tax credit, food stamps, meals for the children at school, medical insurance for the children from the state, etc. They do some work for a salary but mostly scam the system earning mostly cash / barter and live a very good life.

The system is broken and certainly not fair.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Ending the income tax and installing a national sales tax in its placed, a consumption tax, would solve the inconsistencies and failures of our current tax system as well putting a useful end to most of the IRS.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:45 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
Everybody seems to understand that money talks, bullsh*t walks. There’s a lot of type about how Corporations/Banks own the country by paying for influence (lobbyists, etc…).

What influence does the US citizen pay for? About ½ the population doesn’t pay taxes; another percentage defers taxes, & another percentage gets substantial subsides (education, etc…).

I think you don't quite understand the meaning of money. Government does NOT need money, it can print piles of money to reach Mars and more. Government needs goods, services, labor to provide for its bureaucracy, army, police, projects. Those people&things do NOT eat, wear, live in money. At this time and space money is the most practical & convenient way to extract labor & goods from populace - thus monetary taxation. Money is a recent invention, prior to money government squeezed labor, food & goods directly without mediation of money.

If government does not tax the poorest, it's indirect acknowledgment that the paid their due to the state with their cheap labor and further monetary taxation may undermine valuable cheap labor resource.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Ending the income tax and installing a national sales tax in its placed, a consumption tax, would solve the inconsistencies and failures of our current tax system as well putting a useful end to most of the IRS.
Yup, let the poorest pay for the state machine which benefits the richest the most.

Taxes should be in direct proportion to the benefits an individual received under watchful eye of the government, state and army. NO, it's not flat tax because there are hundreds kinds of income & wealth streams.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:12 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Here's what the US citizen has to offer:

A work ethic unequaled nearly anywhere else. Nobody believes in hard work and long hours on the job like the American worker. For a first world country, Americans have fewer benefits, fewer vacation days, few employment guarantees, and more on the job time than almost anybody anywhere else. Americans believe (rightfully or wrongfully) that a fair days work equals a fair days pay and are loyal to their employers. Unfortunately, US employers take very little account of employee loyalty and abuse this trusting relationship.

American employees are generally trustworthy and uncorrupt. This is hardly standard in usual jobs around the world where employees expect graft and corruption to grease the wheels of everyday business. Corruption in America is minimal, therefore reducing the cost of business expense. People show up for work every day and do what they're paid to do without expecting any kind of any kind of *special* payments.

Americans are generally tidy, sanitary, and law abiding. They put on clean socks every morning, brush their teeth, and show up on time. Believe me, there are plenty of places where this is not the norm.

American workers are currently under-appreciated and under-estimated. Their other first world counterparts are far better compensated and better treated--and better paid.

The day will come with more equalization of the second and third world workers, when Americans realize that they work just as hard and have very little to show for it at the end of the month. Government deductions eat their paychecks, corporations demean and investigate their personal lives in the work place, and their productivity is constantly denigrated with inane evaluations and annual spread sheet productivity appraisals.

American workers are some of the best in the world, many of them making a pittance for their efforts. Expect this situation to get worse.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Yup, let the poorest pay for the state machine which benefits the richest the most.

Taxes should be in direct proportion to the benefits an individual received under watchful eye of the government, state and army. NO, it's not flat tax because there are hundreds kinds of income & wealth streams.

Actually, I would agree with a national sales tax, only if a certain minimum amount of purchases were prebated. In other words, the government gives you your tax payments back in a check up to X amount. That would exclude most of the poorest from paying taxes at all, and the lower middle class would only pay taxes on a tiny percent of their purchases.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 AM

762 posts, read 1,099,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
A work ethic unequaled nearly anywhere else. Nobody believes in hard work and long hours on the job like the American worker.
You’re confusing quantity of time with quality of time spent. For every 2 hard workers there are 6 that coast. Ordering lunch @ 10am & picking up shrubs for the front yard @ noon is not considered hard work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee
I think you don't quite understand the meaning of money. Government does NOT need money, it can print piles of money to reach Mars and more.
I was under the impression that the FED is printing money to help the People/Gov’t because the economy is in trouble. There are also loud murmurs about printing too much money not being good for the economy—what do I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee
Money is a recent invention, prior to money government squeezed labor, food & goods directly without mediation of money.
I understand. This is where I fail miserably; I was under the impression that money was invented to simplify bartering, create a way to stash surplus for later bartering, & to set up a system of borrowing to move civilizations forward.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:38 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
[quote=DSOs;13250711]You’re confusing quantity of time with quality of time spent. For every 2 hard workers there are 6 that coast. Ordering lunch @ 10am & picking up shrubs for the front yard @ noon is not considered hard work.

I was under the impression that the FED is printing money to help the People/Gov’t because the economy is in trouble. There are also loud murmurs about printing too much money not being good for the economy—what do I know?

I understand. This is where I fail miserably; I was under the impression that money was invented to simplify bartering, create a way to stash surplus for later bartering, & to set up a system of borrowing to move civilizations forward.[/quote]
it is bad because the economic problems we have not be solved with throwing money at it as a quick fix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics