Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 06:22 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
HP ?
Texas Instruments ?
Is this a joke? Dave Packard and Bill Hewlett both went to Stanford and created HP in Palo Alto, to this day the company is still headquartered in Palo Alto. Texas Instruments did not grow out of Texas either, it was merely located there.

I posted information about Venture Capital in Texas earlier, if its such a rip place for start-ups why so little Venture Capital compared to other areas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 07:32 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Huh? History, economics, philosophy,etc type departments change a lot from school to school. These fields all have numerous different schools, etc and which area of thought gets emphasized depends on the faculty. Regardless, programs in these subjects are not sense equivalent from school to school.

History doesn't change. Economics doesn't change. Sure, bigger schools may have more variety in what is offered (maybe a class in Aboriginal Australians) and more majors. It's just a matter of what kind of environment you're looking for. A big school with big classrooms vs. a smaller private school with high school-like size rooms.

Quote:
No idea why you are so focused on the "brand" aspect of matters instead of the actual educational quality. I find it amazing that people today think there are no fundamental differences between colleges.

Also, I have no idea why you would want to generalize from what goes on in MBA programs to education in general.

Yep, and yet MIT is still a much better school than UT Austin.
Your the one who was talking about rankings and such.

At the end of the day, you go to Harvard for a MBA over Fresno State because of what the the degree from Harvard will do for you.
Network. At the end of the day, the knowledge that you'll learn from a Harvard MBA won't be that most different from the MBA program at Fresno State.

And according to the rankings and its rep, MIT is a much better school than any public school in California.

So what exactly make Cal-Berkley a education than say one at Texas A&M or SMU? Give me examples, not rankings from some publication.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:28 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
We'll never agree on how much social services should exist. In Texas one cannot rely on the government for the same things they can in California.

I support the emphasis on self-reliance in Texas. I believe that is how it should be - especially at the Federal level. States can choose how they want to provide for their citizens.

Texas has 1M fewer unemployed people than California right now. Employed people are less demanding of social services than unemployed people.

I think it is absurd that California thinks they need to offer the written drivers license test in 32 languages.

Texas is working to develop more Tier 1 universities. Proposition 4 was passed in 2009 to create a new "national research university fund" for 7 named universities to attain tier 1 status.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:27 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
I posted information about Venture Capital in Texas earlier, if its such a rip place for start-ups why so little Venture Capital compared to other areas?
I don't know, Austin seems to be doing alright as far as VC goes:

Austin, Texas – Venture Capital’s Top 10 Lone Star » CB Insights – Blog

I understand that CA cities like Palo Alto get a lot more, but I don't think it's accurate to say Texas has "so little compared to other areas"...

Old 06-19-2010, 11:10 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Austin is a viable competitor against silicon valley

Silicon Valley faces rough road to recovery | Business Tech - CNET News

Never Mind the Valley: Here's Austin

http://www.crn.com/software/19910262...PSKHWATMY32JVN

Austin's Secrets For Economic Success - Forbes.com

Old 06-20-2010, 03:28 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
+1

Old 06-20-2010, 11:34 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
Some interesting things here

Old 06-20-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
History doesn't change. Economics doesn't change.
Is this serious? This is very far from the truth.

Quote:
the knowledge that you'll learn from a Harvard MBA won't be that most different from the MBA program at Fresno State.
It will be dramatically different, Harvard has some of the brightest minds in business where as Fresno state does not. Just because a Ford Fiesta and a Mercedes provide similar functions does not mean they are equivalent in quality.

Anyhow you want to equate rankings of educational quality with "brand names", this makes no sense the brands are built on their quality. Harvard is not just Fresno state with a better brand, the professors at Harvard are all going to be dramatically more accomplished than those at Fresno state.

It is not that Texas does not have any good public universities, it does, rather that it does not have enough of them to serve its residents. There are only 2 tier-1 public universities in Texas and its community college is not good.

Quote:
So what exactly make Cal-Berkley a education than say one at Texas A&M or SMU?
Huh?

Old 06-20-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I support the emphasis on self-reliance in Texas. I believe that is how it should be - especially at the Federal level.
Okay, I think the government should provide an environment that empowers people and not mega-corporations. The Texan model has not produced good results for every day people.

Quote:
Texas has 1M fewer unemployed people than California right now.
Right, this recession has hit California much harder than Texas. Before the recession the two states had similar unemployment rates.

Quote:
Proposition 4 was passed in 2009 to create a new "national research university fund" for 7 named universities to attain tier 1 status.
But why? Shouldn't Texans be self-reliant? Why have public universities at all? This just demonstrates that there are actually people in Texas that understand the importance of strong social systems.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Austin is a viable competitor against silicon valley
Its not even close, the Silicon Valley is still getting around 7~8 times more Venture Capital than the entire state of Texas. I posted this data earlier int he thread.

Austin is not a start-up hub, but it has been an attractive place to relocate existing operations to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Some interesting things here
Not really, Texas has one of the most export oriented economies in the country. California also has a big export economy, but not as big. Having an big export economy does not make your economy superior though and this is one of the great things about the united states, each state can specialize in different things and rely on others for goods/services it does not produce.

At the end of the day the differences between California and Texas are pretty small. People on both sides of the fence tend to see the other in extremes though, but the reality is much different. I've driven across the country a number of times and I feel much more "at home" in Texas as a born/raised Californian than I do in New England, the South, etc. But you're not Texan, Californian or even American in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics