Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Edmonton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 08:18 PM

5 posts, read 14,258 times

Advertisements

So I've decided as part of my course I was be spending a year abroad in Canada. I am from Belfast. I was wondering which city would you recommend for a student spending a year abroad. My two options are Ottawa and Edmonton. Either city will be a step on it terms of size and population for me (Belfasts population is just over 300,000)
I'm not too bothered about which city is colder more of what there is to do as I plan to travel a lot while I'm over. So which city would you say has more to do and more places to visit around it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 4,854 times
Hi Chris I spent 66 years of my life in Edmonton. I've retired to Jalisco, Mexico. I loved Edmonton. About a million people. great Universities,(Uof A & Grant McKewon), good bus and above ground transit service. Built on the square for ease of finding your way around. Great river valley and lots of recreation, both winter and summer. It does get cold ! Largest population of horses in Canada in and around the counties. Mountain Parks and winter skiing about 4 1/2 hours drive west. Good mix of European & British Isles, friendly people. Alberta has it all. But most of all; Friendly, helpful people! Spent a week in Dublin back in 1970.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,488 times
While both cities are geographically isolated, if you will be relying on public transit systems then you should choose Ottawa, hands down! Not only does Ottawa have an excellent city transit system, there are many options for getting out of the city and going to other places.. busses, trains, planes. etc...

Edmonton has a lot less going for it. I moved here from the Toronto area 4 years ago and I would not recommend it for excitement of any kind. As a transit driver, I can tell you that it is going to be much more difficult to find a way out of this city than Ottawa. There are fewer options for getting around, limited schedules for busses to other places -- and you would be 4 hours driving to the Rockies, if in fact you had a car! The prairie provinces are really dull, and I mean REALLY DULL, compared to the vibrancy of Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal.

I have also lived in the UK among the British and the Irish, so I understand the humour as well as the culture. By comparison, I find Alberta to be culturally void. I will say one thing I prefer about Alberta, now that Im older and into my 50's, is that the people are very, very nice! It is more laid back than Ontario, but unless you're coming here to either make money in the oil sands, or sit in God's waiting room among the social pleasantries of the people until you days on earth are through, then GO TO OTTAWA, TORONTO, or MONTREAL! There's better craic to be found in those places and its much easier to travel about!

Wishing you all the best on your big adventure -- GO FOR IT!!!

Old 04-26-2020, 10:50 PM

18 posts, read 23,886 times
Edmonton is a nice city and I'm sure you'd have a nice time there, but I'd recommend Ottawa.

It has a lot more interesting stuff, being the capital. It's also great for someone from another country because it's the most "Canadian" city - billingual with diversity layered ontop. You can be in an English-speaking area and then in a 5 minute drive you're in Quebec, which is it's own world culturally speaking. It all adds up to an interesting dynamic.

Ottawa is also a nice compromise between a big city and a small town. It's the capital, it has an NHL team and recently got an entirely new subway line.

At the same time, it never really feels bustling and there's plenty of green space, even a few minutes walk from downtown.

I'd actually love to live there someday, I've been there 3 times and absolutely love it there, never even got to skate on the Rideau

Ottawa is also only a few hours from Toronto, Montreal and Kingston (which I personally think is charming.) Places like Quebec City and even Boston and New York also aren't too far.

For Edmonton it's mostly just the Rockies and Calgary - the closest bigger city is like a dozen hours driving

Old 06-03-2020, 02:44 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
It is hard to hear people bash my city. I am an Edmontonian former Vancouverite. I've lived in the USA for several years in different locations. Been around a bit.

Edmonton (aka Festival City) has been very good to me and I am proud of it. It is modern in every sense and cultured by the pioneers of the early 1900s after Europeans moved the First Nations on to reservations.

I do not know what you do in Dublin. You are on the ocean. Here you would be on a river.
Are you outdoorsy or a gourmet? Good, you will be too in Edmonton. No city is devoid of culture it just depends on what you favor personally.It just depends on how to like to spend your free time

Ottawa is a white-color government town and the captial of Canada. If you like being around more reserved atmosphere where it seems everyone is a government employee class or Canadian Forces member and more "proper" then maybe this is the town for you.

Edmonton is a blue-color government town and the capital of Alberta located river-side. .Public transit is a light rail system and city buses, including Uber, Lyft, and taxi-cabs, and bicycle lane enhancement through out the city and river valley.

Edmonton has the a large river, North Saskatchewan, running through it and the largest expanse of urban park system in Canada. We have plenty of wildlife, hiking, boating, canoeing on this river. If you want to take in national parks they are some distance away but a Via Rail train trip is pleasant and scenic and inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Edmonton