Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:25 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times

Advertisements

Oh, look, another 18 year old who thinks they know how to fix the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 02:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
You know, just because she is young does not mean she does not have some good ideas. It might be productive to take a look at what young people *and* older people have to say.

We devalue both our elders and our youngsters today by not taking seriously what they have to say.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:51 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Its amazing what my 18 year old mind thought ABOUT the world and circumstances in it and what I have to do and what I should do. And that's just great.

But 44 years later after experiencing the world, working in the world, being responsible for more than just myself, and helping many others like this inexperienced, outspoken young lady, I have very different views.

If we are to progress as a society, then we need to listen to our green youth, but we also need to listen to those who spent 44 years living, working, and being responsible as a balance from the innocents who have interesting questions, but no answers.
You know, it's this kind of trampling on that speech that the girl is talking about.

We have to get back to kids learning how to think for themselves about what is important to them as growing into taking over the country and the world instead of forcing them to fit into the mold that works only for the teachers, administration and state.

I just had my 16 year old daughter watch and listen carefully to that video. She and I have talked extensively about this very issue.

Had I been there, I would have stood and applauded this young woman and her speech. She had the nerve to say what needs to be said in every corner of this country.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:55 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,851 times
One of the problems with education is that it is still a one-size-fits-all idea.
Bright kids are held back by the slow learners.
There should be separate classes according to how well the students do.
The bright kids could do the 12 years of learning in 8.
When my grand daughter graduated from high school, I asked her what she thought, and she did agree, that she could have done it in 8 years.
THere is too much unneccesary repetition . The only difference is that the type in the books gets smaller.
Since the system is set up for 12 years of tax paid education, why not give those bright kids the advantage of using the other 4 doing college level work?
For those not very academicly inclined, instead of high school, how about a tax paid trade shcool?

Old 08-13-2010, 05:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
While I really don't have ten minutes to spend watching yet another valedictory speech by yet another "full of herself" graduate, I know the feeling. It's called "the arrogance of youth". This young lady worked the system very well if she is the valedictorian of her class.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:19 PM

545 posts, read 1,555,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
One of the problems with education is that it is still a one-size-fits-all idea.
Bright kids are held back by the slow learners.
There should be separate classes according to how well the students do.
The bright kids could do the 12 years of learning in 8.
When my grand daughter graduated from high school, I asked her what she thought, and she did agree, that she could have done it in 8 years.
THere is too much unneccesary repetition . The only difference is that the type in the books gets smaller.
Since the system is set up for 12 years of tax paid education, why not give those bright kids the advantage of using the other 4 doing college level work?
For those not very academicly inclined, instead of high school, how about a tax paid trade shcool?
Yes. We need to remove the stupid government controlled education system.

YouTube - Milton Friedman: Education (Part One)

Old 08-13-2010, 06:36 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
While I really don't have ten minutes to spend watching yet another valedictory speech by yet another "full of herself" graduate, I know the feeling. It's called "the arrogance of youth". This young lady worked the system very well if she is the valedictorian of her class.
Yep, that's what the whole speech is about. Working the system and playing the game for a "reward." I totally agree with everything she has said; it's why we've opted out of the government education system for our own kids.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Testing is over emphasized because without testing, most students wouldn't work. How much chemistry do you think my students would learn if I didn't have tests? Um, very little. If students were, internally, motivated to learn, we wouldn't need tests. They need external motivation.
Actually, chemistry and botany fascinated me in Junior High and High School. Those were the only science classes I ever got decent grades in. I probably should've gone into a related field but it never occurred to me. Then, when I had a car accident and surgery to repair broken bones, I experienced excruciating muscle pain. My surgeon suggested oil of wintergreen, in a pharmaceutical dilution in mineral oil, rubbed -around but not on- the area of the incision. Once again, the fascination with chemistry and botany reared its head, and I started studying on my own (unschooling while attending college, heh).

Years down the road, I ended up studying organic chemistry out of sheer curiosity and ended up qualifying for my aromatherapy certification. I didn't keep my certification updated and eventually it expired, but I still apply my education with home-made insect repellants for my husband's golf expeditions, muscle rubs, headache soothers, first aid, burn treatment, skin care, and perfuming.

I never needed tests to inspire my interest. In fact, I didn't even need to -pass- the existing tests, to inspire my interest. I was interested when I first started studying it in Jr. High, before we took our first tests.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Regarding the video itself...

I agree with what she said. However, I feel it could've been worded a little more tactfully. As stated, it sounded like she was mocking the very system she worked. I perceived her as saying "I played you, and won. Consider yourself played. And hey kids, you all helped, but you were too busy being sucked into the system to notice." If I was one of her teachers, I think I would've agreed on principal, but cringed from the insult. Because she really -was- insulting every single teacher there. Teachers are employed by the system. They don't necessarily have to like the system they work for, but they choose whether or not to continue working for it. So when you bash the system, you bash the system's employees; the people who get paid to deliver that system to the students.

I DO agree with what she said. I just don't agree with her choice of words. It could've been more tactful and delivered with more class.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:19 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Regarding the video itself...

I agree with what she said. However, I feel it could've been worded a little more tactfully. As stated, it sounded like she was mocking the very system she worked. I perceived her as saying "I played you, and won. Consider yourself played. And hey kids, you all helped, but you were too busy being sucked into the system to notice." If I was one of her teachers, I think I would've agreed on principal, but cringed from the insult. Because she really -was- insulting every single teacher there. Teachers are employed by the system. They don't necessarily have to like the system they work for, but they choose whether or not to continue working for it. So when you bash the system, you bash the system's employees; the people who get paid to deliver that system to the students.

I DO agree with what she said. I just don't agree with her choice of words. It could've been more tactful and delivered with more class.
There was one teacher whom she complimented, someone she described as avant-garde. I like to think that is the role I play at my school.

She was insulting the system. I was watching the audience carefully to see at what point anyone would notice. It took most of them a while. If she had been more tactful, most people might not have known they were being insulted.

I think teachers and administrators need to consider very carefully the insights and opinions from someone who so successfully played the system to get what they told her to want. This was one lamb, at least, who knew she was going to the slaughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education