Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:35 AM

532 posts, read 1,056,221 times

Advertisements

I passed the CHSPE (California High School Proficiency Exam) when I was 16, and only completed two years of high school. I know that people who pass this test aren't "officially" recorded as dropouts, but in your average social setting, would you consider this as "dropping out"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 02:38 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
IMO, no. You completed HS by examination.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:22 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
IMO, no. You completed HS by examination.

Your opinion is fine but it doen't work that way. His school will record him as a dropout on their records which will impact the attainment of AYP under NCLB and various California DofED standards.

So yes, for the record, he's a dropout if he didn't complete the required number of courses/hours unless CA has an exception/exemption.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
I don't know how it works in CA but here you would be a drop out. Here you have to pass the grad standard tests, given in 10th/11th grades but that still doesn't mean you are done with high school. You still have required courses to take through your senior year. You are not officially done until you have enough credits taken, passed all portions of the grad standards tests and completed all the required course work.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:07 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
I passed the CHSPE (California High School Proficiency Exam) when I was 16, and only completed two years of high school. I know that people who pass this test aren't "officially" recorded as dropouts, but in your average social setting, would you consider this as "dropping out"?

Not in this situation. You completed what was required to "prove" you possessed the knowledge. Statistically, you did leave school--but for anyone to say you are equivalent to a dropout would be stretching the definition.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:25 AM

6,957 posts, read 6,882,745 times
Are you asking this question to find the technically 'correct' answer or are you asking this question because of how you feel?

Either way, it does not mean that you will not be successful. There are plenty of people who have gone on to become mega-rich and mega-famous and have not passed the exams society would have you pass to be one of the sheeple. Sometimes these exams actually hinder us by making us think in a certain way and the solution to tricky problems can sometimes be found by thinking 'out-of-the-box' which confine the rest of us.

What these mega-successful people seem to do is to do something which they love doing, and learn as much about it as possible and to become expert in that through wanting to do it.

Anyway,
good luck.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:43 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Are you under 18? I know the social setting of your town. Since you passed the CHSPE if you are holding down a job or are going to college you are not a drop out. If you are doing a whole lot of nothing all day you are a drop out. Socially speaking.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 PM

532 posts, read 1,056,221 times
I don't think CHSPE passers are recorded as dropouts on CBEDS data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Are you under 18?
No; I started community college when I was 16, though.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
No; I started community college when I was 16, though.
You are definitely NOT a drop out. CC at 16? Good for you.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You are definitely NOT a drop out. CC at 16? Good for you.
Not to discount the OP's class work but a very LARGE portion of high school kids are taking college level classes, either at a community college or a 4 year school through various state dual enrollment programs. Here at least 1/2 of our high school kids take at least one college level class, many kids here graduate with enough credits to bypass their freshman year in college, and many even enough to enter college with a junior standing. It is not uncommon these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education