Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:31 PM

9 posts, read 32,611 times

Advertisements

I'm a junior in high school and I'm about to fail algebra 2, I take the final tomorrow. Why can't math classes like algebra and geometry be electives? I've had to retake every math class 2 or 3 times, and I struggled to learn the basic stuff in elementary. Learning long division was hell! I'm obviously not very good at math and I pass all my other classes, so why can't useless classes like algebra 2 be an elective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,973,327 times
Back when I went to school, the math requirements were less, but if you were in a college prep track, you needed to take 3 years of math including Alg II/Trig. Kids who were not going to college did not take these classes.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:57 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,538,508 times
Math helps you to develop thinking skills that help in calculating solutions to problems and quickly coming up with answers. IMHO it is needed for all at least a little. You will have to do it again in college if you have to go there. I use algebra from time to time but I use geometry quite often when I am figuring out problems like tile coverage for a room and so forth.

Taking a class 3 times to pass is is a problem. It shouldn't take that long.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:52 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,596,240 times
I believe there should be a different math track for students who have not developed the logical reasoning skills needed for algebra. I was one of them. I was a D math student through high school. I remember studying and just not getting it. I'd get enough to squeek by but that was it. As a result, I did not think I was college material so I didn't head straight for college.

When I did go to college at 25, I had to retake high school math and found myself wondering why I ever thought this was hard. Everyone assured me, that calculus would change my mind. It didn't. I don't know what happened between high school and college but math got easy. I'm convinced that something happened, developmentally, after I turned 18.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:28 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,006,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Tin View Post
I'm a junior in high school and I'm about to fail algebra 2, I take the final tomorrow. Why can't math classes like algebra and geometry be electives? I've had to retake every math class 2 or 3 times, and I struggled to learn the basic stuff in elementary. Learning long division was hell! I'm obviously not very good at math and I pass all my other classes, so why can't useless classes like algebra 2 be an elective?
Math is needed for critical thinking and problem solving skills in all areas of your life. Sounds like you need some modifications if you are really truly trying and still don't get it. Are you spending time in your book every single day? Do you complete all of your homework assignments? Do you pay attention in class? Are you coming in before and after school to get help from your teacher? Are you taking advantage of tutoring opportunities? I don't know you and what you have tried in the past to help yourself out, but I find a lot of students that say they don't get it, but have done nothing to help themselves out.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:46 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,571,837 times
First of all - algebra (of any kind) is not useless. As others have pointed out, all matematics classes teach problem solving, logical and critical thinking - in addition to the actual mathematical operations.

Maybe you're not a traditional learner in math. Maybe you have difficulty with the way its being taught - that I dont' know. But, its being taught for a reason - which is that without it, you miss out on an opportunity to think a certain way. And that can be helpful later in life.

As in: I have $100 dollars in my pocket, Beer costs $7 a case and Chips cost $2.50 a bag. How can I maximize my party supplies??

You can solve that with algebra. Yes, you can also solve that with common sense (but that common sense is basically using the rules of algebra).

Its everywhere. If you are given one item/fact, and its relationship to another item/fact - you can get from one to the other through manipulation. This is common in logic, and is the basis for most algebraic manipulations.

(If X = 25, and a video game costs 4X, how much is the video game??)

So, while I sympathize with your difficulties, and hope you find a way to overcome them - please remember that it IS a useful subject and that its being taught to you to HELP you later in life, not to tortue you now.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:41 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,585,552 times
Algebra is not useless nor should it be an elective. Many occupations use some form of algebra regularly. Many of these occupations do not even require a college degree. Occupations like carpenters, cooks, nurses, pharmacist, roofers, framers, plumbers, carpet/flooring installers, and the list goes on and on.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:02 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,538,508 times
If they make math an elective I want English to be an elective as well. I hated that class and never understood why we had to put words here and there when I could say it a different way and you would still know what I am saying. lol

Old 12-20-2010, 11:53 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,672,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
If they make math an elective I want English to be an elective as well. I hated that class and never understood why we had to put words here and there when I could say it a different way and you would still know what I am saying. lol
There's a big difference in people simply knowing what you're saying, and people comprehending what you're trying to explain.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:38 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,166,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
Because it's not just WHAT you say...it's HOW you say it.

Consider this:

I have this ongoing hope in my head that in Georgia, which possesses iron-rich soils, those who were descendants of humans in a state of servitude will consume a meal together with the descendants of those who owned other humans in a state of servitude.

Versus...

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education