Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:29 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,454,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
If they make math an elective I want English to be an elective as well. I hated that class and never understood why we had to put words here and there when I could say it a different way and you would still know what I am saying. lol
I clepped english in college because I didn't care to try and figure out what a drunk or stoned writer was thinking//feeling when he wrote a story.
Why not make all classes elective??? Even make school elective, why should we have to go, we don't use any of it in real life.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Tin View Post
I'm the exact opposite of him. I love to read and I can tell you what happens in a book.

How come in high school when it's obvious where the students' strengths are they still make you take classes like algebra 2? Or physics? Or chemistry? Stuff that most students will never need, and couldn't care less about.
I use chemistry, physics and complicated math in my job everyday as a respiratory therapist.
Physics is involved because of gas laws that explain how things like venturies work.
Chemistry helps me understand that when we mix O2 and NO together we will get some NO2 produced as a by product.
Algebra helps me calculate how long an O2 tank will last based on tank size, liter flow, etc.

It's one of those things that you will just have to fight through until college. HS is trying to give you a base to keep all your options open for after you graduate.
Once in college, you won't probably have to take more than 1 college math class since I'm guessing you will be picking a major that doesn't involve science or math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 01:17 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
About spelling - you are obviously a visual learner and can see the words in your head. Auditory learners can't do that. They spell what they hear and since English is not very phonetic, they often get it wrong. My son and granddaughter are auditory learners. My grandaughter does fine on spelling tests if she practices, but the words will not be spelled correctly when she writes because she doesn't *hear* them with the correct letters.
I think that's fairly common. Much of the English language is not spelled the way it sounds, so to an auditory learner, words like "though", "rough", "through", etc., must be difficult to remember how to spell, let alone "knife" or "gnat".

Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Tin View Post
Well, I took the final today and definitely failed. I was able to answer 11 out of 47 questions. Looks like I'll be taking this class 2 more times, most likely. I have an A in every other class except this one.I've talked to some people, even teachers, and they all say that they never use algebra 2 ever, so I don't see the point in taking it.
Be honest. How much time do you really spend working on the math problems and developing your understanding of the areas in which you struggle?

Do you think that the problem might perhaps reside with your level of effort and not the "stupid" class?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education