Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 03:05 PM

467 posts, read 713,508 times

Advertisements

^Well I just love geography anyway, and I probably know a lot more geography than the average canadian learning it, sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 04:33 AM

270 posts, read 504,751 times
Lightbulb Pictures with words

Wow! The Singapore method looks very effective indeed. I wonder if something else would work. Being an English major, I know that when most people read or write a story, they instantly understand it. There's no need to go back and review or try to memorize the main characters, plot, theme, etc. It all just falls into place, the context reinforcing everything that needs to be learned. Could other subjects, math, science, history, etc. somehow be changed into an interesting story with one-to-one correspondence, i.e. this means this or somehow relates to this, to help facilitate the tedious process of memorizing? A poem would probably work pretty well also.

I don't mind teaching English, but I have other interests as well. Sadly, I was an extremely poor math student. I failed almost every math course I took in high school, but, luckily, I placed in Pre-Calculus, so I didn't have to take remedial math in college I struggled with it, though. I think it was mostly from the lack of solid concrete examples. I was just trying to figure out where to put a bunch of letters and numbers. The university's solution was to drill us to death. I feel like I gained very little knowledge from some of the math courses I took.

Check out these links http://www.csos.jhu.edu/pubs/edweek/...ptualizing.pdf, www.memory-sports.com

Last edited by surburbangirlie; 12-22-2010 at 05:41 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 05:31 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudentfromalabama View Post
Wow! The Singapore method looks very effective indeed. I wonder if something else would work. Being an English major, I know that when most people read or write a story, they instantly understand it. There's no need to go back and review or try to memorize the main characters, plot, theme, etc. It all just falls into place, the context reinforcing everything that needs to be learned. Could other subjects, math, science, history, etc. somehow be changed into an interesting story with one-to-one correspondence, i.e. this means this or somehow relates to this, to help facilitate the tedious process of memorizing? A poem would probably work pretty well also.

I don't mind teaching English, but I have other interests as well. Sadly, I was an extremely poor math student. I failed almost every math course I took in high school, but, luckily, I placed in Pre-Calculus, so I didn't have to take remedial math in college I struggled with it, though. I think it was mostly from the lack of solid concrete examples. I was just trying to figure out where to put a bunch of letters and numbers. The university's solution was to drill us to death. I feel like I gained very little knowledge from some of the math courses I took.
I doubt it. If math could be taught like reading, someone would have figured that one out long ago. Math isn't like reading. There is logic involved.

Personally, I didn't really get math until I took calculus in college. Then math made sense. Of course then we went on to differential equations and we were back to math not making sense anymore . My prof said that you get diffy Q about the 5th year of teaching it.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,001,513 times
I know that when most people read or write a story, they instantly understand it.

That's not necessarily so. My husband can read a book cover to cover and can't tell you anything about it when he's done. But, he can do metric-english conversions and decimals to fractions in his head without even thinking. It's just a matter of how your brain processes information. Some people are numbers people and some are better with words. It's the whole right brain, left brain thing.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Tin View Post
I'm a junior in high school and I'm about to fail algebra 2, I take the final tomorrow.
I feel for you. When they were passing out "math brains" I was in the next room. Math never made sense to me. I couldn't comprehend what the heck the teachers were talking about. I had a few really lousy math teachers. And my mind wandered in class.

HOWEVER...you have to keep plugging away. You will use math your entire life. Trust me on this. I'm old. Talk to your parents about getting a tutor. I wish I'd had one because my math "skills" are a continuing embarassment.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:06 PM

9 posts, read 32,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
If you have A's in all your other classes but keep failing all math subjects, have you ever been tested for a learning disorder?

Every hears about reading disorders like dyslexia all the time, as well as expressive-receptive language disorders that affect learning, but few know that mathematics disorder exists as an actual diagnosis.

I used to see a teenager for therapy who was brilliant and did well in all other subjects, but was in special ed (or some study team) for math. I don't know a lot about it though, since this was not related to the reason she presented for therapy. But she had documentation of the testing done, and it's an official DSM-IV diagnosis.
No, I haven't been tested. Would getting tested get me out of having to retake it if it shows I have a disability?

Old 12-22-2010, 09:11 PM

9 posts, read 32,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I know that when most people read or write a story, they instantly understand it.

That's not necessarily so. My husband can read a book cover to cover and can't tell you anything about it when he's done. But, he can do metric-english conversions and decimals to fractions in his head without even thinking. It's just a matter of how your brain processes information. Some people are numbers people and some are better with words. It's the whole right brain, left brain thing.
I'm the exact opposite of him. I love to read and I can tell you what happens in a book.

How come in high school when it's obvious where the students' strengths are they still make you take classes like algebra 2? Or physics? Or chemistry? Stuff that most students will never need, and couldn't care less about.

Last edited by TJ_Tin; 12-22-2010 at 09:19 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times
If you got tested, and you are diagnosed with an actual learning disorder, then you have the right to an individualized education plan for math. That might include getting extra help or tutoring, taking a different class, getting more time to take tests, or some other accomodation specific to your needs.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:36 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,056,251 times
What I saw with people who did poor in math, just didn't practice enough. Since they found it too hard, they gave up quickly and easily. I excelled in math, but even I, had to practice for hours upon hours a day. Much of math is repetitive and the steps are always the same even if the numbers are different.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:39 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Trust me, you will never need algebra for anything in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education