Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 10:59 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Oh, you mean published articles in print journalism? Yep, been there, done that. I worked as an education writer before I worked in the classroom.

Also, I'm not unionized, nor is anyone at my school (nor was I when I was a journalist, come to that). Good try, though.

"B**ching in private" but not doing much does describe a fair number of so-called "outraged" parents who come to mind, though.
Please educate us all by sharing links to research that you have done or publication titles. Thank you!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
I would agree that there is too much homework. IIUC there are numerous studies showing that large amounts of homework do not improve results - some of it is given because educators are not up on the studies, or because the public (including many parents) expect lots of homework as a sign of rigor.

One issue is the diversity of the student body. For my family, more homework meant less time at museums, less trips to historic sites, and for my kid, less time in pleasure reading. For other families though, that time would have been spent on TV. Also students learn differently - some need repetition, others, esp gifted kids, hate it. And often gifted programs have the most homework.

Many families are now homeschooling precisely because of the excesses of homework, and the profound disrespect for family time. Especially gifted kids, and perhaps especially 2E kids. Not all can afford to. I expect this issue will grow in importance.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Every single state's department of education website will provide information on obtaining resources regarding state-mandated standardized testing, and measurement of goals and outcomes. None of this has much to do with homework, however, at least not directly.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information that the assigning of homework is regulated by a state and/or federal entity. Standards-based education such as is mandated by NCLB legislation doesn't touch on homework regulations, it merely speaks to assessments in basic skills, i.e. achievement tests. There is no legislation that's setting the tone for the assigning of homework, specifically. That's up to individual districts, schools, and teachers.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
"B**ching in private" but not doing much does describe a fair number of so-called "outraged" parents who come to mind, though.

I agree that parents need to ACT, protest in public, and not just complain in private.

Instead of attacking teachers on message boards, we need to take action. Perhaps this blog has ideas : Stop Homework

Old 01-20-2011, 11:04 AM

It seems to be really difficult for people who have a lot to say about schools and homework to really broach the actual subject of "What gives the schools the RIGHT to impose upon family time and to insist that parents help with homework and projects."

The fact that this issue has been mostly ignored suggests to me that there is some unconscious assumption that the schools, by virtue of just existing, have some unspoken rank in terms of owning the student's and parent's time . . . this is the crux of the issue that I wish to address. It wasn't always this way.

It used to be that children were considered the "property" (for lack of better word) of their parents and that the schools existed as a benefit to the children - not as a military installation that trumps everything and dictates everything.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:04 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
But most of us have said our children do *not* have large amounts of homework. I'm sorry but I don't see 20 minutes to 1 hour's worth of homework as excessive.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It seems to be really difficult for people who have a lot to say about schools and homework to really broach the actual subject of "What gives the schools the RIGHT to impose upon family time and to insist that parents help with homework and projects."

The fact that this issue has been mostly ignored suggests to me that there is some unconscious assumption that the schools, by virtue of just existing, have some unspoken rank in terms of owning the student's and parent's time . . . this is the crux of the issue that I wish to address. It wasn't always this way.

It used to be that children were considered the "property" (for lack of better word) of their parents and that the schools existed as a benefit to the children - not as a military installation that trumps everything and dictates everything.
You were answered several times.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I agree that parents need to ACT, protest in public, and not just complain in private.

Instead of attacking teachers on message boards, we need to take action. Perhaps this blog has ideas : Stop Homework
Hilarious. Your link is defunct.

Parents are too stressed and too overwhelmed with jobs and their own lives and raising families. The teachers are in the trenches and know the issues and are in the position to protest and actually draw attention to the problems. If they actually did that and protested in public, you can bet the parents would then step in to support the protests. What is stopping them? Job security concerns? How the principal and school board might view them? Come on, be honest.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But most of us have said our children do *not* have large amounts of homework. I'm sorry but I don't see 20 minutes to 1 hour's worth of homework as excessive.

My child has been in public school since 5th grade, and I do not think that she ever gotten that little.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You were answered several times.
Actually, no. Saying when you register at a public school you give up all of your rights to free time is not a valid answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education