Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
If you dig a little deeper, you begin to see the flaws in the thinking, but most people aren't really deep thinkers.
If you want to get your point across, you are going to really need to work on your communication skills. Throughout 30+ pages of discussion, you continue to ignore the answers you are given, whine consistently that "people aren't staying on my topic" when they are and you just don't like their answers, and now have the nerve to assert that anyone who disagrees with you must just not be a deep thinker.

As others have wisely pointed out, school has evolved over the past two centuries. It will continue to do so in the future. If you have opinions of how that should occur, you must educate yourself and speak to the people with the power to make it happen-your school board and local representatives. Speak to other parents. Vote in elections. If you feel strongly about this, YOU must act in support of it, not just whine that, "Someone else should study this about students. Someone else should blog about this."

It's always "someone else's" job with you. Eventually you will realize that if you want to see change, you must make it happen.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:09 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
If you want to get your point across, you are going to really need to work on your communication skills. Throughout 30+ pages of discussion, you continue to ignore the answers you are given, whine consistently that "people aren't staying on my topic" when they are and you just don't like their answers, and now have the nerve to assert that anyone who disagrees with you must just not be a deep thinker.

As others have wisely pointed out, school has evolved over the past two centuries. It will continue to do so in the future. If you have opinions of how that should occur, you must educate yourself and speak to the people with the power to make it happen-your school board and local representatives. Speak to other parents. Vote in elections. If you feel strongly about this, YOU must act in support of it, not just whine that, "Someone else should study this about students. Someone else should blog about this."

It's always "someone else's" job with you. Eventually you will realize that if you want to see change, you must make it happen.
You must be a teacher. You have the lecturing down pat.

P.S. The problem is that people do not get to vote on "the system."

You and I disagree. You are in the majority, therefore "you win." That's how it is.

I brought this subject up because I sincerely was curious about whether or not people really wanted the schools to dictate what they do with their family time, and the answer is that they do.

It isn't what I would want but as long as the majority is happy with the system, that is fine - that's the way it "should" work.

The only problem is that there is an incongruity because it is common knowledge that "schools are failing."

So now what (all you people who are so happy with the status quo)?

Old 01-21-2011, 04:17 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Just throwing fuel on the fire. It's about longer school days and years.

In Alexandria, fight over additional class time mirrors national debate

Old 01-21-2011, 04:19 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
My kids never went to a "failing school". We researched districts through 4 moves to make sure that didn't happen. They were assigned homework, and we made sure they did it, helping when necessary. I think that is what parents are supposed to do.

My kids have been successful through their schooling, to the point of winning academic scholarships, so therefore I believe in homework.

If you don't, do it your way for a semester, or a year. Then weigh your child's performance without it. If her/his grades go up, and you have a happier student, less stressful home life, make your case. If the grades go down, reevaluate your way of thinking. If your students are young enough, then completely or not completing homework isn't going to make a huge difference in their grades anyway. Since you don't want to discuss the grades you are dealing with, it's hard to say. Have you ever spoken to a teacher about your concerns? I have always found them to be responsive.

Seriously, the majority here don't agree with you. That isn't an attack on you, it's merely that we view homework differently, as a positive in most cases.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:27 PM

Yes, I understand it is not personal. I just wanted to find out if people supported schools dictating private time activities and I found out people don't mind.

There are failing schools, though. Lots of them. You are fortunate that you don't have to worry about that.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:40 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just throwing fuel on the fire. It's about longer school days and years.

In Alexandria, fight over additional class time mirrors national debate
This is what we need.

Neither parents or kids want homework and more time in class to do work, with the teacher there as a resource could solve a lot of issues. I favor a longer school year over a longer school day. It's hard enough to keep up with the work load our, current, 7 hour day produces....though I often find myself wanting just 10 more minutes in a class period...

How about longer school year, fewer hours per day and a rotating schedule with an overall gain of about 10% class time.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:43 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:

Who has given schools the authority to take over family time and family life in this abusive way?
You did.

The more the government gives to you, the more it takes back.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:44 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
The statement "schools are failing" bothers me intensely. A better statement would be "Some schools are failing some students," but even then I think it's problematic.

What is it that you mean to say? What specific failures do you see?

Schools cannot be all things to all people. There is always room for improvement.

My children attend wonderful schools in a district that by all measures appears to be a raving success, but I still have a tutor helping my son with his language arts coursework. And, truth be told, we have a lot of protracted homework sessions. I'm no longer resentful of it. This is the kind of educational environment I want for my children.

And, btw, I've never been accused of being a shallow thinker. (My spouse thought that comment was hysterical when he read it over my shoulder.) That said, it might be shallow to ascribe poor thinking to people whose only fault is apparently to disagree with you.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
You must be a teacher. You have the lecturing down pat.

P.S. The problem is that people do not get to vote on "the system."

You and I disagree. You are in the majority, therefore "you win." That's how it is.

I brought this subject up because I sincerely was curious about whether or not people really wanted the schools to dictate what they do with their family time, and the answer is that they do.

It isn't what I would want but as long as the majority is happy with the system, that is fine - that's the way it "should" work.

The only problem is that there is an incongruity because it is common knowledge that "schools are failing."

So now what (all you people who are so happy with the status quo)?
People certainly do get to vote on *the system* You say you went to school board meetings, but it did not work for you. If you felt strongly, you could have run for the board yourself.

This *common knowledge* that schools are failing is interesting because if you question any individual parent about the school their child goes to, you will find that that parent does NOT think his school is failing. S/he thinks other schools are failing, but not the school his or her child goes to.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 PM

Please allow me to clarify. I said "most people are not deep thinkers," not "most people on this thread are not deep thinkers." There is a difference. The statement was in specific context to a point I was making about "fighting the system" when most people are fine with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education