Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:39 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,930,697 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am.

I have a friend who was falsely accused and for three years after it nearly destroyed his life.

These false accusations happen more than we would like to think with the idea "children wouldn't like about that" believed by many. Children do lie about that sort of thing sometimes to get out of trouble they didn't like the homework assignment, maybe you embarrassed her in front of her friends or maybe to get attention which gets them a lot of attention. The accused gets lots of attention too. Lots and lots of it.

The 14 year old girl at the corner bus stop says "he touched me, he had his hand up my dress" and with that you will more likely spend a night in jail with everyone knowing for "news" like this travels faster than light. Other than saying "I didn't do anything" what defense do you have? If you are a male you are dead meat, shot in the head and left for dead which you may as well be.

With the internet 14 year olds know more about sex than we ever could when we were 14 30, 40 or 50 years ago.

Ok, before I am accused of being a pedo let me say may all child molesters burn in hell but before we throw anyone into the furnace let's make double sure of their guilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 12:44 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,747 times
I certainly am. But as a male educator you have to follow different standards than you did years ago. I can't believe that it escaped this dude that he could find himself in a situation where the close contact might not be misconstrued as inappropriate touching.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:08 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
I find it ridiculous that the school system didn't hire him back. Sure, the girl played a huge role in this by lying, but lets be honest, the true problem is the system itsself.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Boundaries. Boundaries...

This would not have happened if he had appropriate boundaries. I worked in a very high risk job, I taught SPED kids how to use the bathroom, 3x-4x a day. I went off campus with children, alone, to teach them how to shop at a grocery store, or open a bank account, or cross a intersection. We even discussed sex in my class, and birth control devices, and also what types of things for girls to use on their periods. I taught 18-21 year olds for many years...and never had a problem...

Of course, I am female, but I worked with male students...I even let students call me by my first name, no problem for me. They all had my cell number, in case they were in a jam, and needed to call me. None of them ever used it inappropriately. And it seems to me, that a SPED teacher has a much different relationship with students, and parents. I knew many of my students for 15 years, on and off...

But, I never was "playing" with kids, nothing I ever did could be misconstrued as inappropriate. Even a gym teacher does not need to be having rambunctioius physical contact with kids. And I also told my students that they DID not HUG me, I was their teacher. I was HUGE on teaching my students that hugging people is NOT okay.

I have a feeling that this teacher should have been observed more by his supervisor, and counseled on not to get involved in any kind of "touchy feely" games that could be misinterpreted. I don't feel bad for this guy, I think he was really inappropriate.

Last edited by jasper12; 05-16-2011 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
I was this guy. And I didn't even know my accuser...a lie is a lie no matter what. One is not guilty simply because others may be uncomfortable with what they do. And I have been a SpEd teacher for 20+ years...

Old 05-16-2011, 07:55 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Boundaries. Boundaries...

This would not have happened if he had appropriate boundaries. I worked in a very high risk job, I taught SPED kids how to use the bathroom, 3x-4x a day. I went off campus with children, alone, to teach them how to shop at a grocery store, or open a bank account, or cross a intersection. We even discussed sex in my class, and birth control devices, and also what types of things for girls to use on their periods. I taught 18-21 year olds for many years...and never had a problem...

Of course, I am female, but I worked with male students...I even let students call me by my first name, no problem for me. They all had my cell number, in case they were in a jam, and needed to call me. None of them ever used it inappropriately. And it seems to me, that a SPED teacher has a much different relationship with students, and parents. I knew many of my students for 15 years, on and off...

But, I never was "playing" with kids, nothing I ever did could be misconstrued as inappropriate. Even a gym teacher does not need to be having rambunctioius physical contact with kids. And I also told my students that they DID not HUG me, I was their teacher. I was HUGE on teaching my students that hugging people is NOT okay.

I have a feeling that this teacher should have been observed more by his supervisor, and counseled on not to get involved in any kind of "touchy feely" games that could be misinterpreted. I don't feel bad for this guy, I think he was really inappropriate.
That's right, anyone who doesn't act like robot around children and remotely exhibits human behavior should be closely observed by other robots err... supervisors.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:06 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
The school district issued a statement:

Lanigan update: Fairfax schools issue statement - The State of NoVa - The Washington Post

Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Sorry, I did not know the facts of the case, but either way, teachers should have appropriate boundaries.

And I am not a "robot", but I don't hug kids. That is not a teacher's role. In some cases it is our job, especially as a sped teacher to encourage appropriate behavior--going around hugging everyone is not okay. s

Old 05-17-2011, 06:13 AM

37 posts, read 69,023 times
Asked about the final line of the statement, Fairfax schools spokesman Paul Regnier said that teachers associations provide insurance of up to $35,000 for its members. He acknowledged that did not cover Lanigan’s entire $125,000 legal bill, but declined to discuss specifics of the case.

No worry Paul. He will be fully reimbursed and then some. I do feel sorry for this guy, but I bet he never lays a hand on a student again. It's too bad that these kids don't have a harsh punishment for this type of thing. I would think that can ruin a teacher/coaches life. And I'm sure it has.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:41 PM

402 posts, read 1,406,087 times
Lightbulb Yeah, it's sad.

It is truly sad that this man's life has been turned up-side-down by false allegations.

He should have set his physical boundaries at high fives and "knucks". ("knucks" = high fives with closed fists. The kids say, "Pound it." It signifies the same as a high five.)

Picking up a girl and spinning her around? Was he teaching dance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education