Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:08 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,945,187 times

Advertisements

I didn't do as well as I could have, but I did pretty well, so I wouldn't say that I messed up in high school. If I had it to do over again, I'd have done as well academically, but gotten in a lot more trouble. I didn't start getting in trouble until the latter part of high school, and it was so much fun that I wish I'd done it sooner. You can't make up that lost time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 06:33 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,689 times
It was so easy to cut in my high school because we had a big campus that all of us hung out on. We also had free periods.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
It was so easy to cut in my high school because we had a big campus that all of us hung out on. We also had free periods.
My high school was stricter. I got busted whenever I cut a class. Every. Single. Time. I spent so many hours in detention and doing work details for those cuts.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
My high school was stricter. I got busted whenever I cut a class. Every. Single. Time. I spent so many hours in detention and doing work details for those cuts.
I never got caught cutting

Old 05-22-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I never got caught cutting

Lucky you... I never cut any classes until senior year, but we had a freer schedule that year, and sometimes it was just too tempting to cut out early and go for some beers in the afternoon, or something like that. I knew I'd probably get busted, but I was OK with it at that point. It was sort of fun to get in trouble, especially when all my friends were right there with me. Most of the time, I had to just sit in the detention room after school until late in the afternoon as a penalty when I got caught, but sometimes the dean made me do work details, like cleaning the writing off desktops or moving furniture.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:22 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
My grades weren't stellar in high school (C average) because I didn't care... I cut classes all the time until I got a letter that said if I missed one more day of school, I would flunk high school and not graduate... I drifted aimlessly without any real goals in life... didn't have much friends either... nobody had any faith in me after school (not friends or family; I keep hearing how disappointing I am)... years later, I am wealthy and successful... Life isn't how you started out but what you do afterwards... I am fortunate because I am actually intelligent, however I just never put out any real effort (still don't)... there isn't anything I can't do if I put my mind to it, except I rarely ever put my mind to it... but I do make enough effort to be successful and I am happy with where I am in life... if you want to make it, it just requires some combination of intelligence, skill, effort, and luck... if you want it, then you are going to have to start working at it... nothing is going to drop in your hands... you have to go out and grab onto it... If I am able to turn my wife who was a nail technician at a small nail salon into a doctor, there isn't any limit on what anyone can do... I have the knowledge and capability to make things happen and lucky for my wife, I gave her what she said she wanted when we first met... she wanted success... so I helped her get it...

Old 05-22-2011, 10:55 PM

I really got my self into shape when I saw all my friends graduating before me. I had to take night school and summer school 2 times to graduate.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:16 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,415 times
I got a's and b's. One year I got straight A's...I think it was 11th or 12th grade. I was pretty proud of myself.

I never got a d or f in k-12 I was proud of that record too.

But overall, it was a joke. The outside world is so much larger than whats in the confines of highschool. I see school now as a way of babysitting and pacifying young people. It acts as sort of a large truant officer.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:37 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
My grades weren't stellar in high school (C average) because I didn't care... I cut classes all the time until I got a letter that said if I missed one more day of school, I would flunk high school and not graduate... I drifted aimlessly without any real goals in life... didn't have much friends either... nobody had any faith in me after school (not friends or family; I keep hearing how disappointing I am)... years later, I am wealthy and successful... Life isn't how you started out but what you do afterwards... I am fortunate because I am actually intelligent, however I just never put out any real effort (still don't)... there isn't anything I can't do if I put my mind to it, except I rarely ever put my mind to it... but I do make enough effort to be successful and I am happy with where I am in life... if you want to make it, it just requires some combination of intelligence, skill, effort, and luck... if you want it, then you are going to have to start working at it... nothing is going to drop in your hands... you have to go out and grab onto it... If I am able to turn my wife who was a nail technician at a small nail salon into a doctor, there isn't any limit on what anyone can do... I have the knowledge and capability to make things happen and lucky for my wife, I gave her what she said she wanted when we first met... she wanted success... so I helped her get it...
And what is wifey giving you in return? I hope it is something good...

Old 05-24-2011, 11:58 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,026,930 times
I was bullied in H.S., it took me a great effort to pull off a C or D, and I dropped out in 11th grade for 3 months. My sister worked in the principal's office of a Catholic High School, and pulling some strings, I got back in and passed 11th grade by the skin of my teeth.

Lots of time on detention, skipping classes, but I managed to graduate, miracles of miracles!

Then! For whatever possessed me, I went to Junior College, found it all infinitely interesting, loved the iinspiring professors, and left Junior College with a trail of A's, B's and a few C's, and this was during the late 60's when I was smoking pot every day!

From there to the University of Minnesota.

So never give up on a screw-up in high school. Miracles can happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education