Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:55 AM

63 posts, read 115,244 times

Advertisements

I know much is made of so-called "bad-teachers," but what about bad principals. I've just suffered through 3 years under 2 different principals, each severely flawed in different ways. I finally had had enough, I resigned after 10yrs. Consider the following quote from William Chandler: “But the schools of such a community should be rigidly boycotted by all members of the teaching guild who respect themselves and hold in some measure of veneration th ideals of their craft.” The craft is dead, political hacks run the schools. The business of schools is all about the test and the ratings. It sickens me to death. My last principal, Moderator cut: name removed, went so far as to make false claims on my PDAS evaluation. Earlier in the year, he actually made promises/assurances to bolster my formal PDAS scores because he was "impressed" with some comments that I had made in a staff meeting (of course this was b4 I lost favor). Administrators interfere with teachers and teaching far too much. I had 42 walk-through evaluation in 1 school year. We have an Asst. Superintendent Moderator cut: name removed who successfully pushed for a got her way on doing away with "Advanced Placement" classes district wide. Parents now have little control. Maybe worse, is the guise that "all students will now have the opportunity" to participate in the wonderful enrichment that these classes provide. And low'n'behold, this new initiative comes with a new and improved set of "teaching strategies" designed to control how the material is being presented, so that we are reaching higher levels of thinking, really challenging students to think. As a teacher, I am appalled. There is only one thing that chaps my hide more than being observed by some pretentious know-it-all administrator who washed out of the classroom how many years ago, and that is being told how to teach. Leave teachers alone! They are obviously not in it for the money! Most are called to the profession by a higher authority! Meddling in their affairs is what is ruining them and the teaching profession. Pretty soon you will have succeeded only in scaring away the very best. If you are fortunate enough to have a good principal who understands the common sense that I am preaching, then stay put. As for Moderator cut: location deleted, I am boycotting.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-19-2011 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 04:16 PM

549 posts, read 1,930,193 times
I don't disagree with your thread title (I actually find quite a bit of truth in it), but your post is pretty bitter, which throws most reason out the window.

I do think principals need to take more ownership. They're the ones that hire and keep these bad teachers. The school is THEIR ship. If the school is falling apart, it's their fault - directly or indirectly. If a section is falling a part (like a grade level or a particular class), it's the principal's job to fix it... by starting off with providing support, then intervening, and finally through removal.

But if we're on that topic, cluster superintendents need to take more responsibility as well. How about these politicians that make/don't fix NCLB? Bush made this impossible "goal" and ran away... leaving the educators scrambling around like chickens with their heads cut off when the real problem is the law itself.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
I don't disagree with your thread title (I actually find quite a bit of truth in it), but your post is pretty bitter, which throws most reason out the window.

I do think principals need to take more ownership. They're the ones that hire and keep these bad teachers. The school is THEIR ship. If the school is falling apart, it's their fault - directly or indirectly. If a section is falling a part (like a grade level or a particular class), it's the principal's job to fix it... by starting off with providing support, then intervening, and finally through removal.

But if we're on that topic, cluster superintendents need to take more responsibility as well. How about these politicians that make/don't fix NCLB? Bush made this impossible "goal" and ran away... leaving the educators scrambling around like chickens with their heads cut off when the real problem is the law itself.
I really do appreciate your response. The value of the dialog here really matters, at least it does to me. I believe a reply to your own thread on effective teachers vs. dedicated teachers went as follows: "Most administrators could care less; they just want teachers that act like students: an obedient, submissive and deferential individual who does what he/she is told." This is the concern that I and many others are voicing. Of course the problems are systemic as you have well pointed out. The reliance upon standardized test results is at the top of the list. Yet common sense tells us that we need this information, or do we, and at what cost? When the help provided is exceeded by the evils produced, I think it's time to reconsider. This same mistake is mirrored in most government sponsored "good ideas." The topic clearly brings out the pessimist in me. Furthermore, I care not for the concerns of administrators so much as I care for those that they have been left in charge of, namely the students, staff, and teachers. I have little regard for their plight. I know of no one that was called to their position. It is power that they seek, and as you well know, absolute power (as in your ship's captain analogy) corrupts absolutely. And, no doubt is/was the case in the matter that I presented. And the laws (at least in Texas) are such that little can be done about it either. Administrators are playing with a stacked/loaded deck. And, many principals are savey enough to know just how to play them. A stark awakening to those of us who are uninterested in the law so mach as it be administer correctly and justly. My reasoning seems just fine despite my temper, no doubt I'm madder than hell.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:48 PM

BTW Your thread reminded me of a Molly Ivins quote,"There are two kinds of people in the world, people who think there are two kinds of people, and everyone else." In case I missed it, which camp were you more inclined towards? Lastly, in defense of my main man George W. Bush, whom I dearly love, the man was a stand up guy. He wasn't afraid to call evil by it's name and do so with a southern drawl. I delighted every-time he spoke or misspoke, knowing that every liberal mentality was in shock-n-awe. hahahah

Old 08-12-2011, 05:26 AM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Funny story, maybe. When I was taking Admin classes a few years ago (well it's more like 10-15 years ago) the question the instructors always asked out of the box was, "Why do you wish to go into administration?". The answer invariably was not, "I feel that I can make a bigger difference leading a school" but was nearly always "More money". My answer, for informational purposes, was on the order that the classes were more interesting than Ed Theory.

You're seeing the "more money" generation of principals now. The favorite phrase I've heard the last few years is, "I look bad what are you teachers going to do to fix it?". Which translates out to "My bonus, which none of you teachers will ever see, is in danger because of you".

Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Johnson 44 View Post
BTW Your thread reminded me of a Molly Ivins quote,"There are two kinds of people in the world, people who think there are two kinds of people, and everyone else." In case I missed it, which camp were you more inclined towards? Lastly, in defense of my main man George W. Bush, whom I dearly love, the man was a stand up guy. He wasn't afraid to call evil by it's name and do so with a southern drawl. I delighted every-time he spoke or misspoke, knowing that every liberal mentality was in shock-n-awe. hahahah
I think what you've mistaken for "shock-n-awe" was mostly acute embarrassment, with a side of "hell, I didn't vote for this mess".

But to go back to the actual point of this thread, I don't think "bad schools" can be laid at the feet of any one person. Complex problems rarely have simple solutions, and I've seen no indication that this is an exception. Even a good administrator can find herself with a bad situation-- indifferent parents, underachieving community, teachers who are mailing it in, a crappy inrastructure...and even an incredibly bad administrator can be made to look good if the other pieces of the puzzle are functional.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Funny story, maybe. When I was taking Admin classes a few years ago (well it's more like 10-15 years ago) the question the instructors always asked out of the box was, "Why do you wish to go into administration?". The answer invariably was not, "I feel that I can make a bigger difference leading a school" but was nearly always "More money". My answer, for informational purposes, was on the order that the classes were more interesting than Ed Theory.

You're seeing the "more money" generation of principals now. The favorite phrase I've heard the last few years is, "I look bad what are you teachers going to do to fix it?". Which translates out to "My bonus, which none of you teachers will ever see, is in danger because of you".
Thanks for the confirmation of sorts, of course money and prestige are at the core of the power that I spoke of. The ironic part is that being a principal is such a crappy job. Not to mention the years of ass kissing required to become one. Who was it that said, politics is show business for ugly people. The narcissism required to endure such things is way beyond me.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I think what you've mistaken for "shock-n-awe" was mostly acute embarrassment, with a side of "hell, I didn't vote for this mess".

But to go back to the actual point of this thread, I don't think "bad schools" can be laid at the feet of any one person. Complex problems rarely have simple solutions, and I've seen no indication that this is an exception. Even a good administrator can find herself with a bad situation-- indifferent parents, underachieving community, teachers who are mailing it in, a crappy inrastructure...and even an incredibly bad administrator can be made to look good if the other pieces of the puzzle are functional.
Of course you are right, didn't mean to over simplify the subject. It is however 1 chapter in the book, and 1 that doesn't seem to get nearly enough air time. A good principal stays out of the way when it comes to teachers and teaching, and that goes for all administrators and politicians. Stop trying to fix the damn thing, that's whats actually causing the damage. If there are changes that need to be made, listen to the teachers, they are the ones who know best. Go back to your office and focus on how to make the school safer, maybe try figuring out how to keep problem kids from continuing to hurt other students and staff. When you get done with that, then you may want to start looking for ways to relieve teacher burdens and stresses. "Mailing it in," please! With all that is left at the feet of teachers, there is not 1 I dare say that has a pulse that isn't giving 110% of what they have or have left, each and every day.

BTW Back to your GWB comment, curious to know how you feel about our most current left leaning president, or maybe his predecessor Bill C. Obamacare anyone? Bill had a few shining moments as well. When have we ever voted for ALL the stuff these clowns get us into, but Bush at least had the balls to stand up when it mattered. As I stated earlier, the 1st role of an administrator is to ensure the safety of those they are charged with protecting. That is and should be a full time job.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,317 times
Default Principals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Johnson 44 View Post
I know much is made of so-called "bad-teachers," but what about bad principals. I've just suffered through 3 years under 2 different principals, each severely flawed in different ways. I finally had had enough, I resigned after 10yrs. Consider the following quote from William Chandler: “But the schools of such a community should be rigidly boycotted by all members of the teaching guild who respect themselves and hold in some measure of veneration th ideals of their craft.” The craft is dead, political hacks run the schools. The business of schools is all about the test and the ratings. It sickens me to death. My last principal, [mod]name removed[/mod], went so far as to make false claims on my PDAS evaluation. Earlier in the year, he actually made promises/assurances to bolster my formal PDAS scores because he was "impressed" with some comments that I had made in a staff meeting (of course this was b4 I lost favor). Administrators interfere with teachers and teaching far too much. I had 42 walk-through evaluation in 1 school year. We have an Asst. Superintendent [mod]name removed[/mod] who successfully pushed for a got her way on doing away with "Advanced Placement" classes district wide. Parents now have little control. Maybe worse, is the guise that "all students will now have the opportunity" to participate in the wonderful enrichment that these classes provide. And low'n'behold, this new initiative comes with a new and improved set of "teaching strategies" designed to control how the material is being presented, so that we are reaching higher levels of thinking, really challenging students to think. As a teacher, I am appalled. There is only one thing that chaps my hide more than being observed by some pretentious know-it-all administrator who washed out of the classroom how many years ago, and that is being told how to teach. Leave teachers alone! They are obviously not in it for the money! Most are called to the profession by a higher authority! Meddling in their affairs is what is ruining them and the teaching profession. Pretty soon you will have succeeded only in scaring away the very best. If you are fortunate enough to have a good principal who understands the common sense that I am preaching, then stay put. As for [mod]location deleted[/mod], I am boycotting.
Yes this is true. I have seen it for myself as well and endured it for three years. I am now back in a normal situation. Most administrators, not all, sign over to the dark side and their perception becomes their reality especially when you have teachers that don't know what to do when they catch her son cheating on tests. Dare we not say what her buddy teacher would do if it was just an ordinary student?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-19-2011 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 09-16-2011, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,317 times
Default Bitter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post

No bitterness. It is the truth. I was there with him, so were several others. We all left on our own and many want to follow. Some just aren't as fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education